• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

laptop to yaesu 897 problem...

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
I have recently downloaded Ham Radio Deluxe onto my laptop and ordered the appropriate cords to connect my radio to this program. The program works great with my Yaesu 897 and I have already made some good dx contacts using the bpsk31 mode.

However, whenever I shut my laptop down and then turn it back on later, ham radio deluxe will not "recognize the frequency" to my Yaesu 897...

I've pretty much figured out that it isn't a problem with my radio (at least I don't think it is) but something to do with the port for the USB connection that connects to the CAT input on the back of my radio...

The CAT cable that I have is from another ham operator from ebay. The cord also came with a small disc that have some drivers to install on the computer. I have installed a driver from the disc that works and then used it for a couple of hours last night. Shut it down and turned it back on later and then it wouldn't connect again.

It seems like every time I want to use the program, I am going to have to literally go re-install a driver or configure something with the com ports in order for the computer and radio to connect.

I talked to a couple of other ham friends on the local repeater about this last night and they were trying to help me troubleshoot the problem. According to one of them, they have also had a similar problem before.

Another weird thing is that when I tell my computer to search for the drivers itself, it tells me that everything is up to date??? But, when you pull the com port up under the control panel, it still shows the little yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle that states that it isn't working properly...

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, I just had a similar problem with the Kenwood TS-2000 and the Kenwood software.

Installed the software in a new computer build with Windows 7/64 bit.

Bought a Serial-to-USB cable from 'Affordable Radio'.

The problem is NOT the cable or the software.

The little yellow indicator on the driver in 'Device Manager' is there because not all 'Prolific' drivers are the same.
In fact, you will find a lot of different Prolific driver versions available.

You will first have to go into 'Add/Remove Software' in Windows Control Panel and find all entries of the Prolific driver and remove them; then re-boot your laptop.

Sometimes that alone will fix it, as Windows will put a driver in place during startup. If not; then you will need to go through this process - perhaps several times - with drivers that can be found on the net. Make sure that if a driver doesn't work after reboot - to remove it once again from your computer as done before.

If you bought a cable from Affordable Radio; then go to their site and get the newest Prolific driver version from them - first.
Install.
Reboot.
Retest.

It might take a lot of time and be a pain in the foot; but patience wins . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.