• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Large Linear ...

Surplus server power supplies are good for this. They used to be really cheap until the CB crowd found out about them. I have a pair of 130 amp dell supplies in parallel. They have a load share pin and will run on 120 or 240. You can stack as many as you like.

What are you powering the amp with? The thing draws right at 130A, looking for ideas/suggestions...

Lots of them and many much bigger have been run in bases. Some of the “power supplies” I’ve seen were pretty janky, however.

Truth be told, if I wanted that much in a base I’d be running tubes.

I also have a big Dell power supply I picked up for a song. They do seem to be getting much harder to find, but I’d be leaning towards that if I needed 100 amps plus.

Dont forget, how many amps the amplifier needs is largely a product of how hard you drive it. My DX1600 in the mobile needs about 100 amps the way I’m running it.

While it can be done it makes no sense to run a large pill amp on a base. With 120 or 240 volts available for home base use a tube amplifier is the better choice. That 8 pill will do better in a mobile where you have lots of amps at 14 volts.

Anyone here running a large linear like a Texas Star 1600 in a base setup?

What are you powering the amp with? The thing draws right at 130A, looking for ideas/suggestions...
I use a fat boy 250 amp power supply. When driving it with 150 watts from my rci69ffb4 the ts 1600 draws anywhere from 142-148 amps and 15.4 volts.hope it helps

Really don't need that big a amp with a base set-up...Go bigger on the tower and antenna...I've talked to Australia and New Zealand with just my 1x3 Kicker 500 tube amp and L4 quad on my 40' tower before, and some stations over on the east side of the pond in Ireland, Germany, and the UK...

Now I have a little bigger tube box, a 2x4 Palomar 300A which does a few more watts than the Kicker 500, and haven't made any contacts overseas in several years, but it's just because I haven't had conditions, so hopefully that will start to change soon...

Bigger amps used with a base set-up, I would be concerned with getting into my neighbors electronics...thats where you can get turned in, when you start ticking off the neighbors.

Surplus server power supplies are good for this. They used to be really cheap until the CB crowd found out about them. I have a pair of 130 amp dell supplies in parallel. They have a load share pin and will run on 120 or 240. You can stack as many as you like.

Which model DELL supply are you using. I have a 100Amp DELL, but it does not have a load share pin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated