• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lazy H loop

Johnnybgood

Nov 15, 2013
I put up this loop 8 x 6m vertical standing, whose bottom is 1.3m off the ground on a wooden garden fence and its performance is very good. What a lot of people dont realize is that the radiation patterns are also very good and improve on the higher hf bands. I feed mine with 450R ladder line on the bottom wire and centre fed, then back to the shack and then into a 1:1 balun and a short length 3m of coax into the shack and a ATU. 40M is the lowest for this size and 10m the highest.

Is anyone else using this loop vertical standing

curtain antenna sterba bruce array Lazy H

I have used the lazy H for 40 through 10 meters. Works better than a dipole in most cases.

The above link shows several methods of feeding the array for multi band use.

On 40 meters I have found a vertical works great for TX and use the lazy H for receive, great combination.

Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I was also impressed at how well it works close to the ground. One would expect it to be a cloud warmer, but its not. I dont have a big garden, hence the small sixe, but its definitely a good antenna. I would never go back to a dipole or endfed wire again.
Next step it to place another one at right angles to the existing one and switch between the two via a relay setup.

I also Like a fan dipole, or multi band dipole per say,

You wont get the gain from the dipole that you get from the Lazy H but there is no antenna coupler required either.

Wire antennas are fun to experiment with and they do work well if built and installed properly.

Since you have a small garden you may want to look at a vertical, they work great for DX but do require an extensive radial system.

Verticals are ok if homebrew, but the commercials one's cost an arm and a leg.
I am happy with this loop and its low noise properties. Ok, so I need an ATU but losses are minimal with a balanced ATU and ladderline feed anyway.
I must try a dedicated loop cut for 6m and see how that performs.

I have used several commercial verticals, they sort of fell into my hands on some swap deals, I was never impressed with the commercial ones but they do make contacts.

The best vertical home brew I have used was a 1/4 wl on 75 meters and I put a matching network relay switched for 40 meters, so it was basically a 1/2 wl on 40, that vertical worked great.

Yes an antenna coupler and ladder line is a must for a multi band lazy H and yes it is a low loss system.

Just make sure the feed line comes away at a 90 degree angle from the lazy H for best performance.

I put up this loop 8 x 6m vertical standing, whose bottom is 1.3m off the ground on a wooden garden fence and its performance is very good. What a lot of people dont realize is that the radiation patterns are also very good and improve on the higher hf bands. I feed mine with 450R ladder line on the bottom wire and centre fed, then back to the shack and then into a 1:1 balun and a short length 3m of coax into the shack and a ATU. 40M is the lowest for this size and 10m the highest.

Is anyone else using this loop vertical standing

Got pics?

Not of the antenna in use, its a bit difficult to take a picure of it because of the small garden. The dimensions should give you an idea of what it looks like

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.