• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LDMOS for dummies , could it be this easy ? HAPPY NEW YEAR PROJECT !!

WINKDOGG

President CFO & CPFO WorldwideDX Radio
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
ldmos1.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-DEV...a=1&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042
ldmos1.jpg

with this day and age with any one being able to just spin up a board on your computer and have some company in china print a bunch of boards for a few $$$ and have every component labeled with a proper solder mask..
it is sad to see any thing like that being sold.. :(

with this day and age with any one being able to just spin up a board on your computer and have some company in china print a bunch of boards for a few $$$ and have every component labeled with a proper solder mask..
it is sad to see any thing like that being sold.. :(

I completely understand your position KD2GOE , I just have a different outlook on things . Im an 11 meter "CB dude" I know, understand and respect why Hams cant stand stuff like this but with the THOUSANDS of dollars I have spent building up my collection I think its cool that we have opportunities like this available . Im not endorsing or promoting this board in particular but Im going to try to take advantage of something along these lines before I spend $3000 on a picture perfect fresh out of the box LDMOS amp . I am only 41 but I have my share of Heath Kit gear and I think it was a cool idea back then just like I do now . Its not REALLY apples and oranges here Heath Kits were reasonably priced pieces of equipment that not only were of good quality but also a learning experience. Do I wish these kits were 100% made in the USA ? Not really I cant justify spending the kind of money that it would cost to buy a completely domestic kit , nor do I have the knowledge to start etching my own boards and designing circuits ;( Some day I hope to be in that league but for now Ill take any opportunity I can to learn more about the technology .

Hopefully Im not alone on this lol , Again I have a ton of respect for the great true "amp builders" out there and I wish I had the knowledge that BBi or "Dave" has/d but Im just a mud duck quacking my way through life !

Happy New Year buddy 73's Winkdogg

Reactions: TIN_CAN
I completely understand your position KD2GOE , I just have a different outlook on things . Im an 11 meter "CB dude" I know, understand and respect why Hams cant stand stuff like this but with the THOUSANDS of dollars I have spent building up my collection I think its cool that we have opportunities like this available . Im not endorsing or promoting this board in particular but Im going to try to take advantage of something along these lines before I spend $3000 on a picture perfect fresh out of the box LDMOS amp . I am only 41 but I have my share of Heath Kit gear and I think it was a cool idea back then just like I do now . Its not REALLY apples and oranges here Heath Kits were reasonably priced pieces of equipment that not only were of good quality but also a learning experience. Do I wish these kits were 100% made in the USA ? Not really I cant justify spending the kind of money that it would cost to buy a completely domestic kit , nor do I have the knowledge to start etching my own boards and designing circuits ;( Some day I hope to be in that league but for now Ill take any opportunity I can to learn more about the technology .

Hopefully Im not alone on this lol , Again I have a ton of respect for the great true "amp builders" out there and I wish I had the knowledge that BBi or "Dave" has/d but Im just a mud duck quacking my way through life !

Happy New Year buddy 73's Winkdogg

Naw you completely miss understanding.
I am talking about the guy selling it..
Why not put the extra effort in to it and make it look a bit more clean.
There is a ton of kits on Ebay like this and they look clean. I'm not saying people should be making this kind of stuff it takes a lot of R&D to get them right.

I have CB stuff and do talk to people on CB a lot quite a few of them are hard core AM people. I done care what they do on CB I feel 27mhz is like the thunderdome and when in Rome :)

Reactions: WINKDOGG
Naw you completely miss understanding.
I am talking about the guy selling it..
Why not put the extra effort in to it and make it look a bit more clean.
There is a ton of kits on Ebay like this and they look clean. I'm not saying people should be making this kind of stuff it takes a lot of R&D to get them right.

I have CB stuff and do talk to people on CB a lot quite a few of them are hard core AM people. I done care what they do on CB I feel 27mhz is like the thunderdome and when in Rome :)

Oh so sorry buddy I did take it wrong lol !! That's why I love these forums because grown ups can actually share thoughts and opinions on things and we all live and learn as we go !! Yeah it wasn't until I uploaded the full size image that I even noticed the rough ass work on that board lol I cant really comment on the quality of design , however no matter what if I ever received a board that looked like that I would have no choice but to strip it down and reflow it ! I have a 2 pill kit I did that im still looking for its wrapped in shrink wrap sitting somewhere ;) but for lack of a better word it was a lot prettier on arrival lol .

Thanks KD2GOE for letting me know what I missed in the first place lol . Some nights Im here till 3-4 am clicking around so thanks again for clarifying my DX friend ! 73's

MAN WHAT A SHOW OFF HAHAHHA
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Thanks Kopcicle as soon as your ready to send me a "sample kit" for a practice run let me know lol !! Again Im super excited you saw this thread and jumped in . I know you have covered a ton of this but your input is paramount and always useful to me bud !!

73'S with my knees in the breeze my burgers stacked in 3's and my shack stinkin like those wacky trees ;)

Thanks Brian

LDMOS is more tolerant of ignorance than Bipolar transistors are.

That's just one of the exciting things that these ldmos trans have me getting excited lol . I don't think of myself as ignorant but I have burned up a few pills in my day :whistle: Im more detail orented now and have learned its not worth over heating my gear to squeeze out another 100 peak watts so I haven't cooked any pills lately but Ill never say never buddy ;)

73's Winks :)

That's just one of the exciting things that these ldmos trans have me getting excited lol . I don't think of myself as ignorant but I have burned up a few pills in my day :whistle: Im more detail orented now and have learned its not worth over heating my gear to squeeze out another 100 peak watts so I haven't cooked any pills lately but Ill never say never buddy ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.