• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LED light noise ?

Cabover Bob

Nov 17, 2020
I strictly run mobile AM rig, and I'm familiar with the noise that my own LED's create, but have recently noticed while running 2 lane highways that I'll get some noise from passing vehicles. Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this ?

TIA

CB

Reactions: Slowmover

Drive faster.

Or, brake harder

As getting them gone is the only cure.

You have to wonder what’s up with some vehicles — especially big trucks — as the noise can be unreal (crock pot running on inverter?; video games on TV? Cheap refrigerator, etc). I figure it’s 120V being run off 12V in the sleeper, but really don’t know.

No way they could ALSO be using a CB.

I’ve elsewhere written of using coax filters (PALOMAR). Install one at each end or DIY ferrite mobile choke. See my post in thread Beads, Ferrites. They’ll reduce duration & degree of this phenomenon in a satisfying way, besides cutting down a lot of OTHER noise.

IMO, a requirement for a CB used for business is both passive & active noise reduction.

Last edited:
Some cheap - read- chinese- aftermarket led replacement bulbs emit lots of noise.
I replaced mine by Osram H4 Generation 2 Led's and have 0 noise in and around the car, more expensive but 5 year warranty and noiseless.
The Hyundai I10 for the rest is noiseless as well, no radio in it, just now and then the handheld 2/70 with speaker/microphone.

Yep the Noise is out there. Had a noise in the over head Led, and just put in a new one no more noise.

However driving around in town I noticed a loud noise coming in and going out from the 2 meter radio. I noticed that when a car pulled up next to me I heard the noise, woe he had a advertisement sign on top of his car generating all kinds of noise even in my CB Radio, WOW! Never experienced that before, I had no rocks in the car so I had to let em go.

If the RFI ( Radio Frequency Interference ) is on your frequency not a hole lot one can do, maybe DSP ( Digital Signal Prosser ) Filter in a ham radio, or DSP in the speaker output may quite it down a little. Iam sure in the further radios will be sophisticated digital signal processors that would identify the signal as noise and remove it. I can't wait. I also want the watt meter to go all the over in the corner.....

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

I strictly run mobile AM rig, and I'm familiar with the noise that my own LED's create, but have recently noticed while running 2 lane highways that I'll get some noise from passing vehicles. Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this ?
After October 28, get an FM rig and run FM with a 100 Hz PL tone squelch. Radio will be quiet.

For AM when I want to hear radio conversations if they start --- e.g. monitor Ch 19 when mobile --- but not deal with every 18 wheeler and power line opening the squelch, I run the squelch down to zero (off), enable the noise blanker and the noise limiter, and turn the volume way down. But keep the volume loud enough that I can hear activity start over the background hiss. Can't understand the speech until you turn up the volume, but I find a low level of background hiss more acceptable than random loud squelch breaks every time you run across a noise source. I don't have fancy vehicles with lots of sound proofing, so there's a lot of road noise, and a bit of radio hiss added to that isn't distracting.

I run mobile radios with the squelch on for VHF-Hi/UHF FM. Not as susceptible to noise sources opening the squelch as VHF-Lo/HF AM mobile.

Last edited:
I hear a ton of noise coming from solar powered bus stops, sounds like a heartbeat and is very loud, much worse than noise from the traffic signal lights. Only way to avoid is get out of there.

The cheapo LED desk lamp at my house makes horrendous noise, while the 500 watt LED driver for my indoor garden located a few feet from the coax coming into the house is quiet as can be.

Thanks for all the responses guys ! I've corrected most all rfi created by my devices, this post was asking about correcting/eliminating rfi from passing motorists. I've noticed it almost exclusively with RV's and any type of delivery/otr truck.

I have some snap on mix 31 beads, I will read up on how/where to install them.

CB

Thanks for all the responses guys ! I've corrected most all rfi created by my devices, this post was asking about correcting/eliminating rfi from passing motorists. I've noticed it almost exclusively with RV's and any type of delivery/otr truck.

I have some snap on mix 31 beads, I will read up on how/where to install them.

CB

That was my reply. What helped

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.