• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

legal height for 10/12 meter base antennas ?

While the gain may show diminishing returns you will still get a larger shot at the horizon with more height. It will also put your RF further away from neighbors.

It would be fun for VHF/UHF/SHF though!

Plus, it opens up the possibility for phased arrays, multiple yagis with different tx/rx characteristics, and best of all, chicks dig big towers. :D

Kamikaze has a huge and important point and that is about getting high enough to get away from annoying neighbors and causing problems which many dont think about and overlook.. I am out in the country and do have neighbors that are atleast within yelling distance and I dont bother any of them luckily.

Im sure the antenna tower height and being on a hill where I look down at all the neighbors houses also helps with staying obove and out of the neighbors electronics ETC.

Regardless if by airport or not..
for ham radio you can not go higher then 200 ft..
unless you get approval from FCC and FAA
if you get said approval....you can go 300...800...8000 or what ever you can afford and or willing to do

In Chicagos suburbs where I am now I was told by the police station that 25' over the tallest natural or man made structure within 200' of your home or place of operation. I have a HUGE oak tree on the side of my house and with my tower and antenna I'm guessing it's about 90' to the tip and the tree is taller by at least 20'. It took a lot of fighting with my HOA but as long as I put no ground radial extending more than 36" on antenna and no guy wires they leave me alone so far. In Dowagiac Michigan where my cottage is because of a private airfield about 4 miles from me I can only go 50' to tip of antenna.

Yes booty it is 200' after that need to have light on top there are some who have 300' plus towers.

I keep mine at 70 to 80 feet, works great for 40 meters and above, any lower band the antenna is just a cloud warmer. That is where the ground mounted verticals come in for long distance
DX.

I know this is an old thread, but couldn't resist... Search YouTube for a guy who shows you how to climb a 1648 foot tower! One really daring person! Makes me sick just watching the camera pointing downward! You take the elevator up to like 200 feet or so, then climb a caged in ladder, then go up out on this "free climb" where you are just doing the peggs on the pole with nothing to keep you from falling back except a small D-hook. Then, you climb atop and get almost on top of that light at the top, turn around and hook-on to a small hole that the antenna mounts on, and do whatever you have to do standing 1,648 feet in the air on a small disc like surface, while your buddy is just below you handing you stuff... You know what... That's not how I do antennas! I'm cool with a 150' pole or so that I can use pully's to lower it down slowly, mount the antenna, connect it, then winch it up.... My feet look nice and fine on that green stuff....

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.