• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Leon River Chili recipe

Dipole

Aug 22, 2014
With the weather cooling down and Foot ball on the weekends i tend to dive into the National dish of the Republic of Texas a little more often. What is the National dish of the Republic of Texas you ask Why that would be Chili. True Texas Red if ya looking for the beans look elsewhere. Beans in Texas Red is like sugar in Corn bread. Beans would make it soup and sugar makes Corn bread cake.

Leon River Chilli

• 1 lb Chili grind beef

• 1 lb Chili grind pork or venison if ya have some

• 2 pasilla peppers

• 2 ancho peppers

• 3 chili arbol

• 1 tbl chili powder (cheap stuff Adams is good)

• 1 tbl ground cummin

• 1/2 tsp mex oregano

• 1 tsp comino seed (ground with the peppers) that would be cumin to the Gringos

• 1 chicken and 1 beef bullion ( Knor Brand)

• 2 tbl massa harina or turn 10 corn tortilla chips into powder in the Food processor

• 3 1/2 cups water

• 1/3 disk mex chocolate

• 2 cloves garlic (pressed)

• 1 med onion (Cue ball size grated fine)

• 3 tbl Lard

Remove the stems from the peppers and place them into the blender along with the Comino seeds process until it is powder (A few small chunks may remain No problema)

Melt the lard( lard is important for texture and a little flavor) and the onion garlic and the meat( broken in to chunks to the pot stir as little as possible. Once the meat has lost its pink add the chili powder stir to combine and toast the chili powder.

Add the water and and Bouillon allow to simmer 1 hr uncovered add the oregano and taste add salt as required add the Mex Chocolate and the Masa stir occasionally over the next 30 min. to prevent sticking.

Serve with Warm Corn tortillas, Queso fesco, fresh cillantro, lime wedges.

note: sub Bottom ruond & Boston Butt for chlli grind meat cut into 1/2" cubes

Reactions: Tallman

With the weather cooling down and Foot ball on the weekends i tend to dive into the National dish of the Republic of Texas a little more often. What is the National dish of the Republic of Texas you ask Why that would be Chili. True Texas Red if ya looking for the beans look elsewhere. Beans in Texas Red is like sugar in Corn bread. Beans would make it soup and sugar makes Corn bread cake.

Leon River Chilli

• 1 lb Chili grind beef

• 1 lb Chili grind pork or venison if ya have some

• 2 pasilla peppers

• 2 ancho peppers

• 3 chili arbol

• 1 tbl chili powder (cheap stuff Adams is good)

• 1 tbl ground cummin

• 1/2 tsp mex oregano

• 1 tsp comino seed (ground with the peppers) that would be cumin to the Gringos

• 1 chicken and 1 beef bullion ( Knor Brand)

• 2 tbl massa harina or turn 10 corn tortilla chips into powder in the Food processor

• 3 1/2 cups water

• 1/3 disk mex chocolate

• 2 cloves garlic (pressed)

• 1 med onion (Cue ball size grated fine)

• 3 tbl Lard

Remove the stems from the peppers and place them into the blender along with the Comino seeds process until it is powder (A few small chunks may remain No problema)

Melt the lard( lard is important for texture and a little flavor) and the onion garlic and the meat( broken in to chunks to the pot stir as little as possible. Once the meat has lost its pink add the chili powder stir to combine and toast the chili powder.

Add the water and and Bouillon allow to simmer 1 hr uncovered add the oregano and taste add salt as required add the Mex Chocolate and the Masa stir occasionally over the next 30 min. to prevent sticking.

Serve with Warm Corn tortillas, Queso fesco, fresh cillantro, lime wedges.

note: sub Bottom ruond & Boston Butt for chlli grind meat cut into 1/2" cubes

I use corn flour instead of chips; make a fine thickener. That is 'masa' for all of you gringos. My recipe is similar; except no pork or oregano. Also add 1/2 tspn of coco powder to 'mole' the beef and drain ALL lard/fat. . .

I live on Tortillas. I always have a Big sack of masa in the kitchen. The corn chip option is for all the chili eaters that buy their tortillas in plastic sacks at the Piggly Wiggley but then they probably make chili & bean soup:eek:

BTW - I always brown the beef after the onions are browned. Makes a notable, stronger beef flavor. Then drain off the grease and save 1 Tblspn. Add the spices (including the coco) back into the beef . Instead of spicy chiles, try some mild chipotle peppers; man that really makes it taste the best - IMO. I use ether canned tomatoes or old, over-ripe ones; prefer he latter. Fine chopped and then simmered in the 1 Tblspn of beef fat; then add 2 Tblspns of minced bell pepper. This is added to the beef mix and the simmered for 2 hrs @ 325 degrees.

Served with minced onions and melted cheese; leftovers make the best chili dogs too . . .

Reactions: binrat
With the weather cooling down and Foot ball on the weekends i tend to dive into the National dish of the Republic of Texas a little more often. What is the National dish of the Republic of Texas you ask Why that would be Chili.

I assume it is served with this
lonestar.JPG

I have a refer full of Lone Star out in the shop at all times.
Now see Robb there you go Real Texas Red don't have no tomatoes. Tomatoes belong in the salsa cruda right next to the Texas caviare.
Leon River aint hot just a little back heat on the way down. My Boiler Maker Chili now that is hot like the sun at high noon in Laredo in late August and drinkin molten lead to cool off. It comes with a warning and a Hold Harmless waiver.

the National dish of the Republic of Texas

When did Texas secede from the union? Guess I missed that one in the news.
Ha just pokin at ya dipole:D

Chili is hard to mess up. There are a million different recipes, and everyone says theirs is "the best" Its good to get some different ideas on how to make even traditional dishes.
That's why I voted yay anyway.
Nice recipe dipole, this gringo will have to give it a try(y)

I have a refer full of Lone Star out in the shop at all times.
Now see Robb there you go Real Texas Red don't have no tomatoes. Tomatoes belong in the salsa cruda right next to the Texas caviare.
Leon River aint hot just a little back heat on the way down. My Boiler Maker Chili now that is hot like the sun at high noon in Laredo in late August and drinkin molten lead to cool off. It comes with a warning and a Hold Harmless waiver.
I only need it hot enough to blow smoke out of the top end . . still need to sit on the other end from time to time . . . besides, I just refinished the chair I use and need to keep it in on piece . . . you also misspelled 'tamater' . . .

Last edited:

That's a big 10-4 on the beans! Up here in KY they will even throw spaghetti in to it. It's more like a limp ground meat soup.

When I make Chili con Carne (Chili to you Gringos) I just get a package of Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chilli mix, 1 lb. of sirloin and 1 lb of lean chuck roast and run it through my meat grinder with the coarse cutter wheel.
Just follow the directions on the package and you will have some very fine eating coming your way. Make some corn bread using "Martha Whites" corn meal and follow directions and add only what is called out and no extra sugar. Preheat your cast iron skillet that has been coated with bacon grease to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and pour your mixture into the skillet. You should hear it sizzle as you pour. You will have a perfect PONE when you are done.
Then you have to have Lone Star long necks to wash it down with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated