• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

let's talk about depleted uranium

Fdtrucker said:
That could be true but "DP" is still a hazardous material that is no longer usefull in creating steam, but still is radioactive however it is still harmfull to a certain point. You can't just throw it out int a landfill with your trash. It still needs to be prepared to make these bullets you speak of. Do you have a website or something I could check out? I would like to see the bullets made from D.P.
Brian

Yes it is "radioactive". So is your smoke detector (Am-127 I do believe) and if you look inside one when you change the batteries (you do change them...right) you will see the little magenta trefoil saying "helooo im radioactive". Well the same thing is on a can of 20mm ammo too and there were no stay time reqirements nor did we have to wear dosimiter/TLD's when we worked in the mags, (not like other mags I worked in where your stay time was limited and you HAD to wear dosimiters/TLD's) As for what the round looked like. It had a black plastic sabot covering it but the round itself if you saw it was a greyish-black metal. It was not a good idea to touch it with your bare hands. Matter of fact, we were not allowed to cleanup the sabots that landed on deck without wearing gloves. for the heavy metal residue thing. Its rarely used anymore now. In 2002 (last year of active duty) we were using Tungsten rounds now (much harder than lead/DU so you got the same effect) Websites? not sure. This is just from 20 years of working with the stuff.

73 mate

Moi... teh bunneh!

I feel so much better now...a bunny came along and told me all is well...

But if I go home and find a radioactive hazard warning label on my smoke detectors, I'll be back for more information.

C2 said:
I feel so much better now...a bunny came along and told me all is well...

I dunno about all that. We are far from being "all is well". I just learned that I cant sit at home and shivver in fear from it all... like my wife. But as the DU stuff, You can either believe me or not. I'm just the guy who loaded the stuff, carried the stuff, cleaned up after the stuff for over 20 years <sarcasm> so I guess I must not know jack about it :roll: </sarcasm>

C2 said:
But if I go home and find a radioactive hazard warning label on my smoke detectors, I'll be back for more information.

It wont be "on" your smoke detector, it will be inside your smoke detector. And I'll wait...

Fdtrucker said:
Why did they use "DP" for these rounds? Just because it was cheap? Thats pretty cool though, I never new about this. Must not be a highly published thing..

Gawd no! That junk aint cheep by any stretch! They were like a couple a bucks a round and by millitary ammo standards, thats expensive! we rationed the stuff quite stringently so no "today's a good day to fire the stupid gun" drills. It was used because of the volume:mass ratio and its armor piercing abilities. (the whole F=M*A thing again).

Anyhoo I guess the point Im trying to make is yes, DU is poisonous...of sorts... but not because of the reasons that were originally stated.

Hey bunnie, that's a cool sig, I just noticed.

I was wondering, how did you learn about your DU? There must have been more to your learning than just picking it up and mopping up the floor? I guess my suspicion is that the military told you all you needed to know? Might that have been just what they wanted you to know? Would they really tell you the truth if the information in those articles is really true?

Contrary to popular belief, other than wierd vaccienes (antrhax) and what is served in the mess decks, they want to keep you relatively healthy. We had to wear bloody full face shields to work with isopropyl alcohol. :shock: We also had to keep the MSDS sheet for...ready...distilled water on hand because you never know if you would get a spill and had to know how to handle it :roll:

I really dont buy into alot of the conspiracy x-files stuff. I do like to fan the fires of those that want to dig holes in the sand and bury themselves in them (like my wife) She has this thing that Haliburton/KBR is like the Illuminati (they probably are) but I freak her out with..."you know that loaf of bread is made by Halliburton" or "KBR owns teh internets". But then again, Im just a retired fleet sailor who still lives by the old addage...

"find out what freeks yer buddy out....then play it for all its worth!

Now for the next horribly toxic compound...

Di-Hydrogen Oxide! Kills more people every year than guns and cars combined! :p

Disinfo agents..........

Ever notice how when one us "conspiracy nuts/X-files types" posts actual articles or Gov't Bills some profanity oozing, name calling "expert" surfaces? If you put depleted uranium in any combination in a search 80-90% of what you see has DU as a serious problem! And alot of the info is from former Gov't/military people directly involved with DU ! I guess if DU is not so bad then mercury in vaccines, aluminum oxide/barium dropped from aircraft, aspartame in Coke are all just plain yummy and good for us right? And gee the Gov't/miltary would NEVER lie either would they......... :roll:

Re: Disinfo agents..........

Watchman76 said:
Ever notice how when one us "conspiracy nuts/X-files types" posts actual articles or Gov't Bills some profanity oozing, name calling "expert" surfaces? If you put depleted uranium in any combination in a search 80-90% of what you see has DU as a serious problem! And alot of the info is from former Gov't/military people directly involved with DU ! I guess if DU is not so bad then mercury in vaccines, aluminum oxide/barium dropped from aircraft, aspartame in Coke are all just plain yummy and good for us right? And gee the Gov't/miltary would NEVER lie either would they......... :roll:

You also forgot HAARP, Area 51, Roswell, The Illuminati, Masons, Halliburton, KBR, and Santa Claus! (I'd add the easter bunneh but we are mates! :LOL: )

Asparatame? Eh...you get used to it after a while. When your diabetic, you gots no choice (and I simply HATE sachharin!) Actually prefer Splenda. Oh, Dont forget the mercury in your fillings too! :shock:

As for how did you put it... some profanity oozing, name calling "expert" surfaces?. Call it what you will mate. I worked/handled the stuff and I dont have like a foot growing outa my head, or have cancer. I was more "concerned" about that big-a$$ bucket of "instant sunshine" that I had to go down into the mags to take care of then a box of heavy metal ammo!

Anyhoo...to each his own. Enjoy yer week. Im outy!

73!

Moi! Teh Bunneh!

QRM'er for sure............!

Your response shows your lack of or ignorance to knowledge on the subject and to me that your just another agitator pretending to be something you aren't, Merely trying to disrupt a forum with a post void of sense, especially the last on!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.