• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Licensed intruder problem

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
From a Ham forum-

Sunday afternoon after a hard day's work I grabbed a beer an sat down in front of my TS 570 to look forward some CW contacts. But... wait a minute! Nearly all over the 40 meters CW portion there where SSB stations calling "CQ Contest!" around frequencies like 7022 or 7025.

The only CW QSO I had this evening was with a station in Great Britain and was abruptly brought to an end by an SSB station 2 kHz up. One CW operator switched to LSB, complained to the SSB man in a friendly way and asked could he please QSY because this was the CW portion of the band. Answer was: "If this is the CW part - why are you calling me on sideband? Idiot!"

Using wrong frequencies is one thing, answering these calls is another. And there were many stations answering! To make my point clear: I'm not talking about "violating" the band edges by one or two KHZ. I'm talking about intruding the whole band part! This comments itself. I don't think "Hams" like these can carry their call sign with pride. Then again, who knows perhaps they got it at eBay...

Unlike the 10 meter problem these fellas are Licensed Hams.

Here is one of the responses-

Just the other week I worked a very nice guy who proudly told me that he was "a newly minted general" class license holder.
Only problem I saw was, we were in the Extra class portion of the band.

To the above quote I like the response given by a Ham with some good wisdom-

It's easiest to get caught up in forgetting the subband edges when you're new and excited and you hear a new state or something.

"Hey, you're out of the General band, let's change frequency to 14.229..."

Everyone makes mistakes. The way those mistakes are handled is important for the future of Amateur Radio.

That said, phone contesters in the CW subband are NOT making innocent beginner mistakes.

Do you think the F C C will lower the boom as quickly on Licensed ops doing the same thing that cber's are doing on 10 meter ? Both are talking voice on CW freq's.. One has a license and truly knows what he is doing. The other no license and possibly not realizing he is on a Ham freq.. Neither is right but is there a tendancy to close ones eyes to nailing the licensed lawbreaker comitting the same offence as the non- licensed offender ? Or should I ask if Hams are more apt to not go for the throat on a licensed intruder as they are the non licensed intruder ?

I saw that on the original site and actually posted a reply there as well.Please note that NOWHERE did he say the "intruders" were USA hams.The FCC has made sub-bands by law while MANY other coutries,including mine,have not.I can legally operate phone on ANY ham frequency except the 30m band.Yep phone on 3505 if I want too.How about 14070 as well? There is a voluntary band plan that really serves no purpose other than to appease the american hams who are required by law to maintain mode restricted sub-bands.While it may very well have been USA hams operating "out of band" the story did not say that in the thread starters original post.As for contesters'I think they should all be shot. :p Yes,they do operate out of band sometimes,run more than legal power,QRM the band with overly wide signals,and call CQ contest over the top of ongoing QSO's.Now who sponsors the major contests;the ARRL and CQ magazine of course.Let's all boycott those organisations in protest. :D

From ARRL
Phone and Image modes are permitted between 7.075 and 7.100 MHz for FCC licensed stations in ITU Regions 1 and 3 and by FCC licensed stations in ITU Region 2 West of 130 degrees West longitude or south of 20 degrees North latitude. See Section 97.307(f)(11).

As pointed out by QRN, not all ITU Regions use the same band plans as the US. I hear US hams answering and/or call other hams on these frequencies fairly often; especially during contests. The US ham that does so, is in violation of Part 97. However, in the US, the ham bands are self policed. If the FCC receives a complaint, or a notice from an OO (you do know what an OO is?), then they will usually send a notice to the offending ham. The offending ham, must answer the complaint and state what he will do to rectify the situation, or his license can be suspended, or revoked. If further complaints are received, then they will investigate and take enforcement action, if necessary. Most hams however, overlook these infractions, as you would overlook someone cutting you off on the freeway. if you think that they are drunk, or consistently driving dangerously, then pick up your cellphone and call 911. Otherwise, just shake your head and move on.

Rich

QRN, He did post the locations of the intruders. And from what I understand each region he mentioned follows the same bandplan.

RE: Licensed Intruders Reply
by DG3YCC on April 17, 2006 Mail this to a friend!
K0RFD asked where the intruders where located. Now in my original posting that was shortened by eham I published several calls most from Europe but also from the US and northern Africa.

I was just "over there" and saw that regarding the areas. As for bandplans being the same please remember that for the most part it is only a reccomended bandplan and each nation has the right to establish it's own rules of adherance.I still think that the USA hams get all upset just because they have a legal requirement and don't like it when someone else does not.CW is being used less and less compared to phone these days and perhaps the mode restrictions should reflect that.Why not lobby your own FCC instead of complaining about what others have or do.Personally I like the legal requirement for USA hams,it gives me a QRM free place to do some DX'ing. :p

I was wondering if there is a chart, like the ARRL Band Plan color chart, just for the FCC allocations?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.