• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lil' Daily Driver

Dr_DX

WDX-861
Jan 29, 2006
TS-480HX with sweet 16. Disabled the "sniffer" circuit and modified the "remote" plug on the amp to a "relay" line so 480HX controls the keying. Independent drive and modulation settings for AM and SSB and control amp (on/off) via relay control setting in radio. Excellent input SWR across bands; the lower the frequency, the higher the output from 10 to 40 meters. 1/2 wave length (10m, adjusted for VF) LMR-400 patch cables through out. On SSB @ 10 meters, it pins a 1KW bird slug with 150 PEP in; On 40 meters, it is over 1400w.

With compression on, it is a real modulation monster on AM. Not up to plate standards, but definitely the best sounding AM of any solid state ham rig I have ever heard or owned.

Here are some pics:

Sweet 16 w/ fan kit and Anderson 175A quick disconnects, 2 AGM Bats and 1/0 wiring in truck box.
TSSweet16andbats.jpg

Main unit under passenger seat - fed with 4 gauge welding wire, chassis grounding strap, LMR-400 connected to Ant#1, relay line back to amp.
TS-480HXmainunittop.jpg

Shielded TP CAT5 w/ ferrite to microphone, head unit connection, and DIN plug relay line
TS-480HXmainunitfront.jpg

the "brains"
TS-480HXheadunitondash.jpg

Rat Shack NC mic rewired with shielded TP CAT5 supplying +8v from radio (eliminate battery) and common ground (via shield drain) with radio chassis.
RealisticNoisecancelingpowermic.jpg

on 10m with a Predator 12" shaft dual coil, Predator stud into a Workman 90 degree so-239, quad mag mount
Predator10K12inchdualandmount.jpg

Interesting setup. What did you modify in that amp to get the input SWR under control on 40 meters? And what antenna are you using for the bands other than 10m?

Interesting setup. What did you modify in that amp to get the input SWR under control on 40 meters? And what antenna are you using for the bands other than 10m?

Nothing in the amp - for 40 meters - I run a small MFJ tuner (predessor of the 901-b)between the radio and the amp. Below 11, I use a Hustler MO-3 and RM series resonators.

all that work, all that money and you piss it into a quad mag...

LOL! I didn't feel like drilling holes in the roof since I was going to sell it. Also, at 3 watts reflect (Bird) with over 1300 going out... The quad worked just fine for me. But I know what you mean about mag mounts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.