• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lil Wil Wilson antenna

crmzendrgone

CB newbie
Nov 29, 2010
M town Arizona
So I felt that the lil Wil antenna was not working properly and so I pull the magnet off the bottom and stuck my DVOM to the middle wire that is solder'd to the coil and then the other end that threads into the radio and it showed only .5ohms is that what is should be? Thanks for the help in advance.

So I felt that the lil Wil antenna was not working properly and so I pull the magnet off the bottom and stuck my DVOM to the middle wire that is solder'd to the coil and then the other end that threads into the radio and it showed only .5ohms is that what is should be? Thanks for the help in advance.

Define not working properly. Maybe an swr reading would be helpful.
A little Wil won't get you out very far as tiny as it is.

The SWR reading was like 2 something on channel 1 and closer the 3 on 40 if I remember right. I am still learning all this CB stuff:blushing:. I was told that the cable is suppose to be 70 ohms so that is why I was looking there first. It also looks like there is a rip or something on the cable right where it feeds into the plastic covering, might have something to do with the SWR readings.:confused:. Thanks again for any replies.

little wilson

Had 2 LW about 4 years ago, found that they will not take any power, and if you try using power SWR will be very high, you can try and cut the stinger and little if you SWR on ch 20 is high it may drop it a little hope so. I brought a K30 to replace the Little Wil and it worked a lot better, but on an antenna that short you will only get a couple of channel with 1.1 SWR even if you have it setup right!.............Oldtimer:)

A local kid that I gave a radio to uses a Little Wil antenna. Gave him a TRC-449 that I fixed. AS well as a K-40. The Little Wil had very nice receive and it transmitted very well with that stock radio. There is nothing wrong with that Little Wil antenna - IMO.

On the other hand, I helped another fellow with his K-30 and Cobra 19. That antenna could not even do 40 channels before the SWR became pretty unusable (<2.0) at either end of just 40 channels. Not impressed at all with that antenna. Told him he would be better off with another antenna. I'd pick a Little Wil any day over the K-30. All from personal hands-on experience. Not trying to create an argument; but I also see the need to call it as I have seen it too. Your mileage may vary; but my observations are quite accurate - I assure you.

It is my opinion that the Little Will worked as well - or better - than a K-40 and completely blows a K-30 in the weeds. No comparison. The kid used the Little Wil and preferred it to the K-40. From what I could hear at my end, I had no problem with that choice as I could hear a difference.

If it was my Little Wil antenna, I would make every effort to put it back into service.
It isn't that complicated and sure that you will be able to make it right once again.

Last edited:
if i read you right your seeing a half ohm of loss in the center conductyor of the coax from the connector to the coil input. thats ok i guess depending obn how long and what brand. the first thing i did on my wilson5000 magmount was change out the rg58 for mini8 coax.
50ohms is the impedance at rf frequencies and your measuring resistance. 2 totally different things.
if your swr is higher on the higher channels then your stinger is to long- by and inch or so and i agree with rob. the lil wil is a good lower power antenna. 077 used one on his suburben with a tuned up 148 and everybody thought he had a 'leeenyaaar'

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated