• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Linear question

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hey all..

got my hands on a little 250w amp, would like to run it after my 257HP wound down to probably 2w (leaving the factory amp inline, but gain WAY DOWN). Not sure what the amp is, it says galExy...ya with an E not an A so i'm having a bitch of a time finding anything out on it. It has on/off, low/med/high (which i believe is resistance so low is actually full power) and preamp on/off

so i'm not sure if it's an am amp of a ssb amp or wtf i have here....wondering if you guys can tell from the guts...pic attached

much thanx!!

Attachments

• 250w.jpg
    250w.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 10

A 257HP is way too strong of a radio for that little amp. That said the ONLY way you could slide by is if you keep the peak wattage from the radio at say 20 watts or less. So if the 257HP still hits 50-70 watt peaks even at a 2 watt carrier then don't run it.

I have run my 257HP into a Bulletproof 175 on SSB several times. I set the variable power on the 257 at 18 watts PEP and it worked.

Thanx 9C1
i'll check out the swing and see what it can do for a lowest pep.

Does it look like a 10-12m am/ssb amp? i keep reading about ssb delay but don't have a clue what i'd be looking for to see if it has that ability. I'd like the extra 3-5db but what good is it if it's just splatter :)

cheers

Thanx 9C1
i'll check out the swing and see what it can do for a lowest pep.

Does it look like a 10-12m am/ssb amp? i keep reading about ssb delay but don't have a clue what i'd be looking for to see if it has that ability. I'd like the extra 3-5db but what good is it if it's just splatter :)

cheers

Post a picture of the front panel.

LOL...ya i'm just trying to make do for now in the truck. I've got a couple of antennae i'd like to invest in first for the qth, and good quality aluminum ain't cheap lol.

LOL...ya i'm just trying to make do for now in the truck. I've got a couple of antennae i'd like to invest in first for the qth, and good quality aluminum ain't cheap lol.
If you want, I can find a home up my way. The local "boys" are finding having alittle help is good in the rolling hills.
What are you looking for for antennas?? I have some and need to do some cleaning.

If you want, I can find a home up my way. The local "boys" are finding having alittle help is good in the rolling hills.
What are you looking for for antennas?? I have some and need to do some cleaning.

hey Bin :)

still looking at the hex ($1000 by the time it gets here), and wanna build a 5 or 6e 6m lfa or owl (prob another $500+)....got a line on a 3e maco, just waiting for a chance to go pay the guy a visit :) Still have to try out this 8040, see if it has any gumption. Was thinking of trying for it today but Zeus is acting unpredictable lol. Lemme think on and test the usage (if i can get the HP's power low enough) of the amp, if i can avoid spending the spendies on the mobile i'd be better off :) Will let you know tho fer sure

thinking this puppy is an AM only....????
got the HP down to a 2w carrier on AM, and on ssb it showed a pep at around 4w (using an astatic swr/power meter set at 10w setting)
hooked up the amp and everything looked fine on AM, but when i keyed and modulated on ssb it would show low power for a second or two then show full bars on the radio and hold that even after releasing the key, actually having to shutdown the radio to clear it. tried it with a little less and extra carrier (adjusting the power-output on the faceplate) but no differences. No locals to check AM with.

any thoughts?? besides the junk bin and a proper 4-pill :D

thanx guys

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.