• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Linear

Johnboat

Jan 14, 2014
Hey guys I'm new to the site. I have had radios along time mainly use them for outdoor purposes. Now I have a question for you experts. I need a new linear I have a 3300hp connex, and I want around the 500 watt mark, I've looked at them all, and think I may go with texas star 500. What are your thoughts, would go with some others but think a fan blowing all day may get old? Thoughts thank you

Well i have ran ALOT of different amps and it sounds to me like you arent talking on SSB or on any Ham bands...i would just go with a Davemade 1x3...it already comes in a decent size cabinet and has a Fan to keep those finals cool! My 2 cent and others will differ!!

oops i mean 1x2...lol!! BUT hey that will work also

A Connex 3300HP is too hot of a radio for a 1x2 or 1x4 amplifier. I would go simple with a 2 pill Davemade, X-Force, or Fatboy with 2879 finals. Your first choice in a Texas Star 500 is a super amp, all set up for a future SSB radio purchase. You might also check out the TnT line below.

TNT

I'd be more inclined to run a Cobra or Uniden into a 2 pill before an export, but I know people do it. I'd go for the 4 pill and if you think you might try SSB, go ahead and get the Texas Star 500.

I agree with 359...a four pill, behind that 3300hp, would get into that 500 watt range. And personaly, if the radio isn't butchered; I would considered a four pill Fatboy or Davemade...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Agreed, get a good biased straight 4 pill. Texas stars are good amps. Just remember to have it converted for 11 meter use. Also the new TNT line are decent amps. Biased b and have pre amp and ssb switch. Dave made amps are always top notch as long as they are a real Dave made. You want to make sure that you can set the dead key of your radio as well to around 2 watts max IMO. Or like posted a good 2 pill like a magnaforce 350hd would work. It won't get to the 500 watt mark. But it will get you to around 300-400 watts. I run a magnaforce 350hd with a magnum 257HP. 2 watt dead key swinging to 60 watts pep. On setting high I see around 350-400 watts. All reports I have gotten have been good. Good luck and god bless.

I run a magnaforce 350hd with a magnum 257HP. 2 watt dead key swinging to 60 watts pep. On setting high I see around 350-400 watts. All reports I have gotten have been good. Good luck and god bless.
WOW, lol. You know those transistors are over $40/ea now right? A Cobra and a 4 pill will do the same numbers or more.

WOW, lol. You know those transistors are over $40/ea now right? A Cobra and a 4 pill will do the same numbers or more.

True but the TnT 350 is a beast, it will laugh at 60 watts PEP compared to say a texas star 350.

I have had no issues with my amp. I have checked the spec sheet for it and it can take 100 watts pep with a 1-4 watt dead key. They are a little beast man.
ehezy5u7.jpg

Good little amps if you can find them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.