• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Linear

I run a 2 watt dead key. Keys the amp around 80-100 watts and swings to 350-400 watts.
Manufacturers Recommendations

Transistors 2 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 1/4' x L 7 1/8' x W 41/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 29
Class B
SSB Delay yes
Driver Required N/A
Power Output (RMS) 150 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 400 Watts
install recommended with 8ga wire
and 50a fuse. Max input carrier of
5w or 120w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 120w

Hey guys I'm new to the site. I have had radios along time mainly use them for outdoor purposes. Now I have a question for you experts. I need a new linear I have a 3300hp connex, and I want around the 500 watt mark, I've looked at them all, and think I may go with texas star 500. What are your thoughts, would go with some others but think a fan blowing all day may get old? Thoughts thank you

I would check the input power on any amp to make sure it is the right one for the radio. even after i would have the radio dead key set for running a linear amp so that you dont over drive the amp.

It's biased b and does work well. I also run a pc122 with it as well. I mostly talk on ssb, and have been told several times it sounds excellent, event got some compliments from some ham radio operators. It's a good little amp that I only paid 80 dollars for. Does the job for me as I have talked all over the world with it.

They were made by xforce years ago for magnaforce. Same amp basically as a TNT 350hd, Dave made clone basically. Not saying it's a Dave made either. It works for what I need it to do. It's in my work van so I can't run big power anyway, so this is what use. I know it's not the best, but it has held up well so far for me. To each his own I guess. Believe me I would love nothing more than to get a good hf radio and put in here, but things get banged around too much. I have 300 in the radio and amp. So hey I'm happy, and like I said, I checked the specs on it and researched a lot before buying the amp. The transistors alone are worth the about what the amp cost me, and they are pre red dot ones. I am certainly no tech or amp guru, but I do my homework nowadays before buying. I also like my magnum 257hp as well, for the money it's a great little radio. Thanks for all the input, I am still trying to learn and am learning more and more from people like yourself and others on the forum as well. Thanks for all input and it doesn't bother me at all. I have learned in my years that constructive criticism isn't always a bad thing. Anyway god bless and 73's to all.

I run 100W barefoot, can talk around the world. Anything more is overkill. Groundwave it won't get you any further, DX the improvement is so little unless you go up at least half a kilowatt or all they'll barely notice.

I have no problems getting through pileups of stations running 1.5kW with my 100W. Even got a Youtube video of me doing it.

My only point on running a four pill is that you can run that 3300HP into it wide open and not need to worry about over driving it and it would get close to his 500 watt goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I run 100W barefoot, can talk around the world. Anything more is overkill. Groundwave it won't get you any further, DX the improvement is so little unless you go up at least half a kilowatt or all they'll barely notice.

I have no problems getting through pileups of stations running 1.5kW with my 100W. Even got a Youtube video of me doing it.
On 10/11m AM?

The jerk you are certainly correct! I 100% agree, I found the amp I have and got a good deal on it. If I would have found a good 4 pill I probably would have picked that up. But yes, a well built 4 pill that is biased at least b biased, is the way to go and not push things to their limit. I don't run my amp often, just when I can't make contact barefoot will I kick it on. But yes a four pill like the newer TNT line or a real Dave made or xforce would work well. JMO. God bless

If you run a clean radio, and don't overdrive it; even a class c is fine for AM. I ran a 1x4 for a good long time...I had no issues with splatter. But my radio was tuned by DTB and I was loafing that amp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

When I got into radio I ran a General Lee into a 1x4 XForce, I'm guilty of it too. I don't even run mobile anymore and that would never work on the base. The guy who set me up sold me a Cobra29 and a 4x1446 Palomar, and I wasn't satisfied until I ended up with the GL/XForce. My wife could hear me coming up the driveway with that thing, lol. But once padded inputs, gain compression, saturation, headroom and IMD all start to make some sense it'll come together.

Reactions: 1 person
I have had a many of amplifiers tinkering with CB's. The best mobile amps were the ones that were built like a tank from the 70's and 80's. Pride amps, "The original Palomar amps", Grey 300, etc. These things were built to last but had higher amperage draws due to the transistors they were running from that era. I ran a KLM600 for a few months driving it with just a Cobra 142GTL with 2 watts dead key and swing. It did not last long. I purchased a Texas Star 350HDV a few years back and the only thing that it needed that I did myself was replace the stock power leads with 8 gauge power wire as the power leads that come stock were designed for the so called " 5 watt CW Transmitter" so they can be sold, lol. It's a good clean amp but I am not running it hard driving it with just a TRC-457.
It all comes down to what you want to pay and quality really over quantity "Watts". There is no on air difference between 150 watts to 350 watts. I always tell people to put 99% into your feedline "Coax" and antenna. Without good quality feedline and antenna it does not matter how much your running as it's the heart of the system. Once you get everything matched up correctly just a 150 watt amp will be just as badass as if your running 500 watts. Good loud clear audio is the key to being heard.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.