1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

lithium ion battery charging Baofeng UV5R

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by KD2GOE, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

So i have 3 chargers 1 of them is busted.. I would like to make a circuit that will charge the lithium ion battery pack's for the radios.
    They are 7.4v Li-ion 1800mAh to 3800mAh but more like 2600 i would guess you know "China".
    they have a simple the circuit in the charging base i guessing there just dropping the voltage from 10V to 8.4v From pics on the internet of the battery's that are open it looks like they have a circuit board in with the battery's for Controlling the charge? Can i just put a Simple voltage reg in there to drop 10 or 12V down to 8.4v?
    and is there away to add a done charging LED?

#1 KD2GOE, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Are there any Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom chargers that also use the 7.4v format that have a schematic available you can copy?

I understand what you are asking, since I also have a Baofeng. Seems that engineering a charger wasn't a high priority for a cheap radio just to get it to market.

#2 Robb, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. KD2GOE

I was thinking of that..
    i seen this on Ebay and it may fix in the charging base? do you think this would work?
    if it will i can retro fit the LED

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TP5100-1S-...906507&hash=item4b1fc43056:g:6x0AAOSwfDhZgxLf

#3 KD2GOE, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. KD2GOE

well i think ill be the first one in the water i ordered 1 if it works and is a more "safer" way to charge them ill replace them all with this controller..
    it will add a way to all so charge them on 12v