• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR-400 for Ham Radio/cb radio

"It appears your using the a worst case scenario comparing 2 coax types at a frequency where one obviously excels over the other."

No, i simply select the feedline based on seeing to it that attenuation from line losses don't eat up all of my precious transmitter power. RG-213 IS the worst case scenario at every frequency when compared to TMS LMR400.

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/DataSheets/CableProducts/LMR-400.pdf

RG-213 @ 50 MHz. 1.6 dB. per 100 feet / 30.8% line loss.
LMR400 @ 50 MHz. 0.9 dB. per 100 feet / 18.7% line loss.

If you (or anyone) can afford to waste 18.7 - 30.8W out of every 100W of input power then by all means, go for it. The above figures were for perfect load conditions referenced to the same line with 0 loss.

Ref: https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/lmr-400-for-ham-radio-cb-radio.259636/page-3#post-749465
50 MHz is VHF, We are talking about HF which CB falls in. Might as well compare losses at microwave frequencies because it'll make LMR look even better!

This is a CB thread.

"Those fractions of a dB on HF will never be noticed and basically like I said earlier, if numbers make you feel better, don't stop short of getting the absolute best you can like 7/8th Heliax".

"
"Those fractions of a dB on HF will never be noticed and basically like I said earlier, if numbers make you feel better, don't stop short of getting the absolute best you can like 7/8th Heliax"

0.7 dB. will reduce power to the antenna by 12.1W. Your "fractions" are converting real power into heat and not being radiated by the antenna. That amounts to almost 1.75W per 0.1 dB.. A low loss line that is capable of delivering = or > 90% of available transmitter power will have line loss of < or = 0.5 dB., considered low loss in Land Mobile Radio service.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
"
"Those fractions of a dB on HF will never be noticed and basically like I said earlier, if numbers make you feel better, don't stop short of getting the absolute best you can like 7/8th Heliax"

0.7 dB. will reduce power to the antenna by 12.1W. Your "fractions" are converting real power into heat and not being radiated by the antenna. That amounts to almost 1.75W per 0.1 dB.. A low loss line that is capable of delivering = or > 90% of available transmitter power will have line loss of < or = 0.5 dB., considered low loss in Land Mobile Radio service.
Geez, according to your calculations:

0.7 for RG213 and .05 dB for LMR400, that IS fractions of a dB difference.

Here is the truth without using a frequency above HF you used to prove your point where LMR excels and it's well known that RG213 will drop off.

At 15 MHz which is the center of the HF band, here is the calculations for cable run efficiency which is the percentage of power delivered.

LMR400 @ 100ft is 89.6%

RG213 @ 100ft. is 84.5%

That's basically 5% difference or 5 watts of a 100 watt output. Big woop!

As the frequency increases especially on 2 meters and up, yes the efficiency of 213 decreases dramatically(so does LMR but not as much) but on 160 meters, the efficiency is nearly equal enough between both types so the difference is insignificant. I never heard of anyone using a significant length of RG213 on a base station 2m/440 antenna. The percentage difference on 70cm is 22%. Yet, on the new 630 meter band, the difference between the 2 types is only about half a watt!

Here are links of the calculations.

LMR400
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator?Product=LMR-400&Frequency=15&RunLength=100

RG213
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator?Product=RG-213&Frequency=15&RunLength=100

Again since you savor every precious watt, you should be using the largest and best Heliax cable you can afford because even LMR400 doesn't measure up as good as Heliax.

Reactions: Slowmover
here is my conversation with a representative onsite.

Hi there, we are available if you have any questions!

where are the attenuation vs. frequency and electrical specifications?

9:25 AM
fae38fe2-4.jpg
Please send us an email at m.torres@nemal.com

no thanks, if you can't provide that information on your website i'll stick with the TMS LMR-400. have a good day.

Uhhhhh.... yeah. If you consider your product on a par with LMR400 you are going to be lighting up the sky with the performance specs.

This does seem a little weird.

here is my conversation with a representative onsite.

Hi there, we are available if you have any questions!

where are the attenuation vs. frequency and electrical specifications?

9:25 AM
fae38fe2-4.jpg
Please send us an email at m.torres@nemal.com

no thanks, if you can't provide that information on your website i'll stick with the TMS LMR-400. have a good day.

Reactions: freecell
I am wondering about the performance difference between copper cad and copper LMR400.

No difference electrically. The cable may be a bit stiffer but that is all. Really GOOD quality heliax such as Andrew LDF4-50 is copper clad aluminum. We beat this to death in another thread somewhere about pure copper versus copper clad aluminum. If copper clad aluminum is good for commercial users into the GHz range it's good enough for ANY ham or CBer.

This turned into a pissing contest...........
boy howdy . got that shit rite. im using both ultra flex tmc 400 and tmc lmr 400 on both cb and 2 meter 70 cm radios. never a glitch n i send a tad o FIRE UP THE WIRE.
i got a relative that installs buisness band radios i buy coax from. he been in buisness 40 years n still busy so i kinda take his word for fact and buy what he gets great service out of.
and captain kilowatt knows too ,been in radio big time for years

Reactions: Crawdad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.