• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

locked band repeat

medic18d

Nov 23, 2013
Hello all ,

I have a kenwood tm v71a and i love the cross band feature . My question is
does the locked band feature on it work with simple walkie talkies.

I am a scout master and i want to increase the troops range when we go camping . and also show them some of the cool things you can do as a ham operator or even a gmrs lic, operator .

please if someone owns one or is familiar with locked band procedures let me know . any help with this would be greatly appreciated .

please no lectures on law or better radio choices , this is all that i have and
these kids are counting on a good commo experiance .
the walkies are all gmrs . there are no gmrs repeaters in our area we are trying to raise money to fund a scout gmrs repeater.
until then i need help

any help on this matter would be very welcome

You can't turn that radio into a GMRS repeater if that's what you're asking.
It will act as a CROSS-BAND repeater only; that means the input is on 70cm and the output is on 2M or vice versa.
Kenwood uses the term "locked band" and what ever their other term is to describe cross-band repeat going in 1 or 2 directions. I don't remember which is which. One way it will retransmit from band a to band b but not from band b to band a. In the other mode anything heard on one band will be retransmitted on the other band.

You can't turn that radio into a GMRS repeater if that's what you're asking.
It will act as a CROSS-BAND repeater only; that means the input is on 70cm and the output is on 2M or vice versa.
Kenwood uses the term "locked band" and what ever their other term is to describe cross-band repeat going in 1 or 2 directions. I don't remember which is which. One way it will retransmit from band a to band b but not from band b to band a. In the other mode anything heard on one band will be retransmitted on the other band.

it will transmit a band or b band which ever is preferred . and my question was for knowledge on locked band repeat . the question was for knowledge on locked band repeat . this model also has locked band repeat .
this radio HAS do same band repeat . locked band repeat
SAME BAND REPEAT =LOCKED BAND REPEAT

PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IF YOU ANSWER A QUESTION.
you not only waste your time but also mine . I RESPECTFULLY asked for someone with experience with locked band repeat .
A. you did not even know that
the radio was capable of same band repeat
B. yes it can be used as a repeater even with gmrs
C. You try to explain cross band repeat on a radio that you are not familiar with
D. I feel better not knowing some aspects of a radio and having the courage to ask vs putting out bad information .
bad information can do harm . myself knowing this i dont answer a thread unless im well versed in said topic rather than lead someone down the wrong path with false info .
E. I also do not comment on what a person can or cant do with equipment

please refrain from commenting on this , it is better to have no answer than a false or negative one . thanks but ill wait on someone versed in the matter
rather than listen to someone who obviously likes to post on topics to appear
knowledgable .
just so tired of people posting and not answering the actual topic or just plain being negative or quoting the FCC laws and still breaking them themselves .
yes sir i am upset but even more upset that people would comment on a question that they didnt even read properly .
with due respect
DOC

Wow dude! I don't know what to say. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 sitting on my desk with the exact same control features as your Kenwood including "locked band repeat". I have used it. I do know how it works.

However, anyone who spend 3 paragraphs telling me not to offer advice when they asked for it is, well, you figure it out.

Reactions: 4 people
http://manual.kenwood.com/en_contents/attachDownload/1000005649/

Page 81 of the above manual.

This transceiver is capable of receiving signals on one band and retransmitting
signals on the other band. This function repeats signals originating from one
band, using the other band. For example, a signal received on band A (VHF) is
retransmitted on band B (UHF). Similarly, a signal received on band B (UHF) is
retransmitted on band A (VHF).
Locked-band Repeater: The transceiver uses the same band to receive or
transmit a signal. You can set either the A band (A-TX) or B band (B-TX) as the
transmit band.
Cross-band Repeater: If receiving a signal on the TX band, the transceiver
switches the current RX only band to the TX band. This is useful when joining
in a group talk. Participants in a group talk need to set a receive and transmit
frequency on different bands so as not to miss any conversation within the group.

Unless I am misunderstanding it the radio will NOT act as a single band repeater. The "locked band" mode simply allows it to act as a normal cross band repeater.Note it says " The transceiver uses the same band to receive OR transmit a signal." It does not say it uses the same band to TX AND RX the signal.You designate which band is the RX band and which is the TX band. In cross band mode the radio will switch RX and TX bands if it receives a signal on what was to be it's TX frequency.

Speaking of responding to posts, I am getting so tired of people that go off on a rant just because someone gives them an answer they don't want to hear. If someone wants to make a lot of restrictions on what they want to be told and how they want to be answered then they should just stay off the internet. Those are just my personal feelings mind you. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 person
"No lectures on law..."?

A scoutmaster wanting to teach his charges how to flout the law. I'm just glad I was in scouting way before now.[/QUOT

I have a gmrs lic. ---

making radio fun for kids, isnt flouting the law. I spend virtually all my time making sure these kids get a great scouting experience.

http://manual.kenwood.com/en_contents/attachDownload/1000005649/

Page 81 of the above manual.

This transceiver is capable of receiving signals on one band and retransmitting
signals on the other band. This function repeats signals originating from one
band, using the other band. For example, a signal received on band A (VHF) is
retransmitted on band B (UHF). Similarly, a signal received on band B (UHF) is
retransmitted on band A (VHF).
Locked-band Repeater: The transceiver uses the same band to receive or
transmit a signal. You can set either the A band (A-TX) or B band (B-TX) as the
transmit band.
Cross-band Repeater: If receiving a signal on the TX band, the transceiver
switches the current RX only band to the TX band. This is useful when joining
in a group talk. Participants in a group talk need to set a receive and transmit
frequency on different bands so as not to miss any conversation within the group.

Unless I am misunderstanding it the radio will NOT act as a single band repeater. The "locked band" mode simply allows it to act as a normal cross band repeater.Note it says " The transceiver uses the same band to receive OR transmit a signal." It does not say it uses the same band to TX AND RX the signal.You designate which band is the RX band and which is the TX band. In cross band mode the radio will switch RX and TX bands if it receives a signal on what was to be it's TX frequency.

Speaking of responding to posts, I am getting so tired of people that go off on a rant just because someone gives them an answer they don't want to hear. If someone wants to make a lot of restrictions on what they want to be told and how they want to be answered then they should just stay off the internet. Those are just my personal feelings mind you. YMMV.

different model sir, and if your tired of reading posts like mine , jump to another thread. im asking about a radio
not how you feel about me . I feel bad for being mean to the guy , but you butting in an argument makes you just as bad . let it go

Last edited:
Wow dude! I don't know what to say. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 sitting on my desk with the exact same control features as your Kenwood including "locked band repeat". I have used it. I do know how it works.

However, anyone who spend 3 paragraphs telling me not to offer advice when they asked for it is, well, you figure it out.

Agreed , I apologize for the angry tone . my tm v71a does do same band repeat . it just dont work on regular walkies . i was hoping i missed something . WAs just stressing the big outing for the kids . planning an event so it goes smoothly is pretty difficult. i was overwhelmed for a few days and took it out on a post to you . You kept it classy even in your second reply . shame on me .
I was out of line . you only wanted to help .

different model sir, and if your tired of reading posts like mine , jump to another thread. im asking about a radio
not how you feel about me . I feel bad for being mean to the guy , but you butting in an argument makes you just as bad . let it go

EXCUSE ME!?? If you do not like an administrator addressing something of yours then feel free to find another forum to post in. If you want I would be quite happy to show you the door out.

As for Beetle's comment about legality, so what if you have a GMRS license? Using the TM-V71A on GMRS frequencies is NOT legal so therefore you bashed Beetle for being right about showing young scouts it's OK to flout the law.Unless of course you just happen to "forget" to mention that little part as most likely they would not know the difference.

One more thing, since you say you have a TM-V71A perhaps it would be a good idea to say EXACTLY what model you have. I posted the manual link above that was for the TM-V71A/TM-V71E models which is what you said you had. Neither the USA version (K type) or the European model (E type or M4 type) do single band repeat.

One more excerpt from the manual: "Note:
You cannot activate the Repeater function while in single band operating mode or Weather Channel mode."

BTW what do "regular walkies" have to do with the repeat abilities of the TM-V71A? It does not know what radio is being used to access it. Do you mean walkies that do not have a TX offset and operate regular simplex?

Last edited:
EXCUSE ME!?? If you do not like an administrator addressing something of yours then feel free to find another forum to post in. If you want I would be quite happy to show you the door out.

As for Beetle's comment about legality, so what if you have a GMRS license? Using the TM-V71A on GMRS frequencies is NOT legal so therefore you bashed Beetle for being right about showing young scouts it's OK to flout the law.Unless of course you just happen to "forget" to mention that little part as most likely they would not know the difference.

One more thing, since you say you have a TM-V71A perhaps it would be a good idea to say EXACTLY what model you have. I posted the manual link above that was for the TM-V71A/TM-V71E models which is what you said you had. Neither the USA version (K type) or the European model (E type or M4 type) do single band repeat.

One more excerpt from the manual: "Note:
You cannot activate the Repeater function while in single band operating mode or Weather Channel mode."

BTW what do "regular walkies" have to do with the repeat abilities of the TM-V71A? It does not know what radio is being used to access it. Do you mean walkies that do not have a TX offset and operate regular simplex?

you wanna act unprofessional and kick me off cause i dont agree with you? this is not worth the time involved to type this please leave me alone . so i can enjoy the hobby .
As an administrator I believe you would be a little bit more professional
as to let a bad topic go . the guy i was rude with even responded as a gentleman and got over it , cant you?

i hate that your feelings are hurt and your angry but im trying to move on. I joined the military at 17 and now im retired at 37 . I have thick skin if you have
to delete my i feel that is excessive but if i have to join another forum i will . i come to like this one ...either way like you said your call.

Dan
SOC NSW
USN retired

What's your military service have to do with anything?

what do you have to do with anything? being inn the military gives one thick skin . so sometimes they can be a little more aggressive than personnel that work in a relaxed enviroment . now please im trying to move on from this thread , harass someone else .

My opinion is that if you wasn't commenting on locked band repeat you were trying to start trouble . I do not have to explain 20 years of service to my country to YOU. referenced it to explain that i have a temper from decades of
fast paced high stress work enviroment during my trying to keep the peace in the thread.
People like me fight , so you can be safe on your couch stirring up trouble.
. I have apolagized to the man I was rude to. and do not need the likes of you
stirring the pot with another silly provoking question. I already feel guilty
otherwise i wouldnt have given your insulting question a second look.

Leave me be . I am here to read on a hobby that i love dearly .
you and i have no quarrel , please respect that. and do not harass me any further.

(admin please delete thread ) if it can be done thanks .

Dan
SOC NSW
USN Retired

you wanna act unprofessional and kick me off cause i dont agree with you? this is not worth the time involved to type this please leave me alone . so i can enjoy the hobby .
As an administrator I believe you would be a little bit more professional
as to let a bad topic go . the guy i was rude with even responded as a gentleman and got over it , cant you?

i hate that your feelings are hurt and your angry but im trying to move on. I joined the military at 17 and now im retired at 37 . I have thick skin if you have
to delete my i feel that is excessive but if i have to join another forum i will . i come to like this one ...either way like you said your call.

Dan
SOC NSW
USN retired

Just telling you like it is, the same thing you did that's all. My feelings have not been hurt nor do I have any plans to delete or modify anything in this thread so far. Not warranted in my books.Like they say, if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. Anybody that has been on the internet for any length of time knows that they will ALWAYS get answers they do not want to hear. The difference is that some people can ignore that while others feel the need to berate someone for not kneeling down to their demands in how they want to be answered.

My original post about being tired of people making demands about how they want to be answered is quite valid. As an admin here it is my responsibility to look at ALL posts and not simply avoid the ones that someone thinks I should. Some time ago we had another user here that would start his posts very similar to the way you did regarding what he expected. No negative comments (God forbid he should have his feelings hurt), no mention of legalities, (going to happen regardless), and would bitch about responses rather than ignoring them. Later he would come back and apologize and make comments about HIS past military experiance, loosing his wife several years ago (she left him due to being an asshole as he admitted himself) and also his mood swings caused by not taking his meds thinking that since he said "Sorry" it was alright to do it again. And again. And again. He came across as an angry, self righteous,egotistical, individual.

As for your military service....big deal. It has been my experience that the only people that bring up past military experience when justifying their actions are those that have a chip on their shoulder and are used to throwing out orders and no so much following them which again is demonstrated in your demands for how you wanted people to answer you. As m42duster (a vet himself) said you tend to make other vets look bad when doing that.

Evidence has been shown that, as far as you have described what radio you have, the radio will NOT do single band repeat. When asked for more info you failed to answer. You could have taken your own advise and not bothered with my response and ignored it and simply answered the question regarding more info but instead you chose to be a hypocrite and say one thing while doing another.

If there is anything CONSTRUCTIVE to be added to this thread such as more accurate info regarding the exact model of TM V71A and anything else regarding it's repeater abilities then fine. Let it happen.

As for any further "negative comments" we don't need them. God forbid someone should get their feelings hurt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated