• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

log periodics

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
been looking at them for 50mhz. and up. the only info i have is the marketing hype. need real world input, anyone?. been to e-ham already i seem to get a better unbiased results here for real world comparison's
73 the darkside

Not enough info yet.

What range of frequencies do you want to cover? Why do you want a log periodic?

Log Periodics are excellent antennas when used what they were designed for. For those not familiar with what Log Periodic antennas are, you see them every day in you standard TV antenna. The are intended to work across a wide range of frequencies.

We used them in the Navy to cover frequencies from 2Mhz to 40 Mhz. They don't work as well as a mono band beam antenna, but they have their advantages.

For VHF/UHF, the only choice is Create's CLP5130:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5017

This antenna will perform close to a 2-element beam. It is a compromise, but will work good for you.

Back to my first question; WHY do you want one? If it is so you can cover MANY frequencies with ONE antenna that exhibits some gain in a particular direction, then this is your antenna! If you want your cake and eat it to, you will be disappointed.

Hey There...

Although Log Periodics are great antennas..
Perhaps you should tell us more of your needs..

here is a great altunitive..
this antenna will give great momo band performace over many bands...
the downside is it is costly,very large and far more involved install.

this antenna will however run circles round a Log Periodic..

www.steppir.com/pdf/4%20element%20spec%20sheet.pdf

there is another version of this antenna that will do 20 meters to 6 meters as well as 40 meters to 6 meters..

Later

as i stated i was looking for one for 50mhz and up i figured it would be a compromise but it's better than no horizontal directional ant. i have par omni angles for 6mtr. & 2mtr. but i wanted something a little directional that would cover 6 & 2 & 1.25mtrs and 70cm. i have another tower but can't put it up due to power lines in the only area of the yard left.
thanks for the replies
73 the darkside

hi rfoverlord,

I have never used one personally but I have read a bit about them and heard a few on air.

my opinion of them is that they are not that bad and not that great.

That said, I think it is a great idea for 50 mhz and up all band coverage.

if you are looking for tons of gain (don't really think you are) then there are better options.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.