• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Logging Help?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I'm fairly new to ham radio, and have been making a lot of DX contacts over the last several months. I started out using the QRZ logbook, and found that not many poeple were confirming. After talking to some of the local guys at my club, they recommended LotW. I have since uploaded all my ADIF files from QRZ to Logbook of the World. Next, I need to do the eQSL ones. (All two)!

One thing I'm wondering about... I travel a lot and use a mobile rig while driving between accounts. I'm not clear on whether I should have a logbook for my call/m in addition to my regular logbook. What do you guys do/recommend?

Brett

Reactions: 1 person

Welcome to the Hobby...

When I am not at home, a pen and pad are what I use to log contacts. I will add specific details in my 'Notes or Other' column with in the logging probram when I enter them in. I like to call out specifics about the contact like 'I-80 Mobile or from a vacation spot and even what radio or antenna I used etc...

Haven't uploaded my initial Lotw log to get that ball rolling. I will put that on my to-do list this weekend.

Welcome to the Hobby...

When I am not at home, a pen and pad are what I use to log contacts. I will add specific details in my 'Notes or Other' column with in the logging probram when I enter them in. I like to call out specifics about the contact like 'I-80 Mobile or from a vacation spot and even what radio or antenna I used etc...

Haven't uploaded my initial Lotw log to get that ball rolling. I will put that on my to-do list this weekend.

Hi Brian, I have been doing that, too. Eqsl advised me to open a separate log for /m, since I had a QSL that it didn't know what to do with. I don't see anything on the LotW site that recommends doing that. Since I am not on dexpedition or out of the country, I would think one log is OK. Still looking for recommendations though!

73 and thanks for the welcome,
Brett

How about EQSL? I use lots as my main one but use eqsl as well.

Yeah I have been using EQSL also, (see above). I only logged two QSO's there, and one was confirmed from Russia (yea)! And the other is from a fella in Oregon that logged me as an /m, and their system didn't know what to do with it since it wasn't a "match"... which is why EQSO recommended via email that I open another log for mobile contacts.

Brett

For LoTW it is really easy to add and edit station locations in the TrustedQSL software. As far as Log4OM, I use it and you can set up multiple log profiles for each of your multiple QTH and Log4OM can nearly(with a couple of mouse clicks) automatically make TrustedQSL sign a ADIF into a .TQ8 file then upload it to LoTW. After you get it all set up, just make sure you log your QSOs into the correct QTH profile in Log4OM. Log4OM will automatically upload to eQSL, ClubLog, HRDLog, and with the couple of mouse clicks upload a .TQ8 to LoTW as long as you are in the correct log profile.

The way I think you would do it is name your Home log profile Home on your PC, then maybe have another QTH like Traveling Log profile on your laptop. Maybe another on a Ipad and maybe another on your Smartphone. What is cool about Log4OM is the have the PC version of the software and then a portable version of Log4OM.

I hope that explains what you need to do and was not confusing!

Good Luck!

73 KC4TVZ Todd

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio