• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at CB

W5EDF

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 23, 2011
So, been doing ham for a few years and want to mess around on CB some. Any radio suggestions? Been looking at the Uniden 980SSB. Price under $200 for a radio.

Thanks.

So, been doing ham for a few years and want to mess around on CB some. Any radio suggestions? Been looking at the Uniden 980SSB. Price under $200 for a radio.

Thanks.
I love my 980SSB, it is dead on frequency and clear as a bell. I get many great reports out of mine. People tell me that it has very clean audio. It won't be a powerhouse but it definitely gets the job done. With a little heat behind it I have no problem making contacts locally or dx. Even barefooted turned down to 10 watts I talk skip with a Wilson 1000 mag mount.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye

Thanks.
I got my 980 off amazon warehouse for 63 shipped. A new one usually hovers around 115. It's a great radio, just don't ruin it by falling for the cb peak and tune mentality.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Hard to go wrong with the 980. Like I said, Good little radio for the price. Don't go thinking you will light the world on fire with one LOL! They aren't a power house radio as far as power is concerned they are some what anemic some say. The final used in the radio is basically being pushed to its limit even a stock levels. If you want to tune any, DE-tune the SSB power to about 8 watts pep. Leave AM power alone and bump up the modulation.
And all of this is really dependent on how much you plan on using it or rag chewing on it. Add a heat sink or small fan to the back of the radio is what I have seen some do. I just lowered my power and haven't had any issues for the time I've had mine. Which has been a couple years now at least. If not more. I beleive the cheapest I've seen them is on Amazon by a seller called blueparrotsales I think. They are $113 shipped. That is hard to beat for a CB/SSB radio that is 99.9% of the time dead on freq out of the box and has all the small features this radio has. And last but not least. When you get tired of the beep, perform the mod!! It's well worth it!! You'll understand what I mean if you get one!! Leave the clarifier locked as well!! JMHO. Hope all this wall of text helps some!
73 and God Bless.

Reactions: daddyo
I just bought one of the Uniden 980 for my self. Paid $110.00 for it shipped. The first thing I did was to hook up to my test station and checked modulation and RF output.
Looked really good with full output and modulation. It's a keeper!

Reactions: Robb and 222DBFL
Good to hear Tallman. They aren't a powerhouse, but do have very clean, clear audio when setup correctly.

Good to hear Tallman. They aren't a powerhouse, but do have very clean, clear audio when setup correctly.
Mine is bone stock right out of the box to the test bench. Clean modulation with no flat topping or pinch out in the center. It is what a CB is supposed to be. Checked for the harmonics and it was -60 db. Can't ask for more than that. I'm not even going to put a power mike on it. It is good just the way it came out of the box.

Reactions: tba02 and 222DBFL
I would check 2 known issues with these radios,1- the bias voltage is turned up to high at factory (should be around 3.8v to give finals a longer life) and 2- Check that the regulators and the finals have enough heat sink compound. Otherwise these are great radios.

Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
What I like about it, is its SSB stability. Plays well with aftermarket mics too. Uniden quality and precision is what I expect.

Local op bought one, put up a cheap 5/8w w/good coax, and uses a RF Limited mic. Xlnt and clean station; no amps. Talks DX with no problem when it is available. He liked the results so well that he bought a second one for his truck.

Seldom have I seen or heard a CB radio that is dead on freq right out of the box.
The low price is a real plus . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
I would check 2 known issues with these radios,#1- the bias voltage is turned up to high at factory (should be around 3.8v to give finals a longer life)
#2 Check that the regulators and the finals have enough heat sink compound. Otherwise these are great radios.

Problem #1
So, what does a person do to correct this and don't have experience to do this?
When ordering have the CB shop check this and if too high have them lower it?
I have heard some complaints that this radio works great until one day it just dies!
Is this what causes that?
This is one reason for me not to get this radio at this time to see what's causing it.

Problem #2
Again here, have the CB shop check this and if not enough have them put on more heat sink compound?
I have read some are putting fans on to help it keep cooler, they said the finals were getting too hot. Don't know if that really works!
Anyway...... any opinions and suggestions appreciated!
Needing a radio for the truck!

Problem #1
So, what does a person do to correct this and don't have experience to do this?
When ordering have the CB shop check this and if too high have them lower it?
I have heard some complaints that this radio works great until one day it just dies!
Is this what causes that?
This is one reason for me not to get this radio at this time to see what's causing it.

Problem #2
Again here, have the CB shop check this and if not enough have them put on more heat sink compound?
I have read some are putting fans on to help it keep cooler, they said the finals were getting too hot. Don't know if that really works!
Anyway...... any opinions and suggestions appreciated!
Needing a radio for the truck!

To be honest with you I would not let anybody except "Exit13" touch the insides of my radio. I have followed his postings on modifications and alignments and I feel I know his work well enough to say He's a Top shelf technician. See what he can do for you.
He might take a unit you purchase and do the basic modifications add thermal grease and maybe do the "Annoying Beep Removal" for you.

To be honest with you I would not let anybody except "Exit13" touch the insides of my radio. I have followed his postings on modifications and alignments and I feel I know his work well enough to say He's a Top shelf technician. See what he can do for you.
He might take a unit you purchase and do the basic modifications add thermal grease and maybe do the "Annoying Beep Removal" for you.

Ok, sounds good.... is Exit13 on this forum (i searched members with no luck) or whats the best way to contact him?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.