• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at getting a compact SSB rig for the compact car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good morning radio Friends, well as u may remember I had recently had installed a uniden 520 with a tram 300 mag mount to put in my 2012 Hyundai Elantra and I love having a cb back in to listen to traffic reports,ect.... well I am looking down the road to get a compact SSB rig as I miss talking on ssb in the car.it will replace my Ranger 2950 which will not fit and now I use as a base unit with a dipole antenna. The question is I have narrowed down my choices between a uniden 980 and a Galaxy 979, which would be better,smaller to work with?
They will be hooked up to a Wilson 1000 mag mount which I am in the process of repairing, aka: got a new mag mount bottom base part and a new replacement whip.
Also wondering if any of u kind folks would have any other suggestions when t comes to compact ssb rigs for small cars? I plan to use it stock,any ideas I would much appreciate it. Thanks ahead and may u all have a very Merry and blessed Christmas ahead!!!!

Reactions: Sonar and Rwb

I also own a 979. It’s nice (I like Galaxy, period), but it’s not the same basic design quality. Modernization, in other words.

The Uniden with the KL203 would be “better” than an 86 re power as well.

A 99v2 has better ears, but it’s a large case radio. And maybe no better on SSB than the 979.

Galaxy had a rep for “drift”. Some discussions on other threads.

The Galaxy “advantage” is the big sound on AM.

My fronkensteen big truck radio rig has the 99 plus the DSP speaker. That latter will change your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and binrat
I also own a 979. It’s nice (I like Galaxy, period), but it’s not the same basic design quality. Modernization, in other words.

The Uniden with the KL203 would be “better” than an 86 re power as well.

A 99v2 has better ears, but it’s a large case radio. And maybe no better on SSB than the 979.

Galaxy had a rep for “drift”. Some discussions on other threads.

The Galaxy “advantage” is the big sound on AM.

My fronkensteen big truck radio rig has the 99 plus the DSP speaker. That latter will change your life.

Yes I have had Galaxy radios in the past( a 33,44,77 and 88,all big 10 meter radios modified for cb back in the 90's),and if I remember correctly they were known to drift on sideband,but they were great on am, loud like u said!!

Reactions: Rwb and binrat
I second Blackcat630 on this one... get a Uniden PC-122 or PC-122XL. Great compact radio that offers excellent AM and SSB performance in a small package. You can find them usually thru Facebook groups, Craigslist, or Ebay pretty reasonable.

~Cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.