• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at getting a compact SSB rig for the compact car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good points!

My approach to this was for something to fit in a dash or small enough - and lightweight enough - to be mounted somewhere and not be in the way.

Pretty much sums up the thoughts though - the 980 is about width of a PC68 and lighter in weight.

The Cobra 146 was about the size of a Pro538W or McKinley or if anyone remembers a 77-120.

So there it goes when it came to width, Size and Weight.

I just wanted to clarify - and I was surprised at so many that came back with NEGATIVE feedback on older "junk" as some posters called those older radios - I do understand that, because I felt that too, as I have searched for parts as well as older radios. I have come across some really nice looking ones and some bone ugly beat-up case ones, but in all those searches. As I deal with more the "Good looking ones", they are not always the best cared for - they may be in nice shape but do they work? That is not always the case, for if someone bought it, then modded it but the mod blew up the radio. Now - you can't use it, so you take it along as a stone until you can send it off to someone that isn't aware of the issues around it.

The Airbags refrerence is excellent - and with cars having more of that these days, you were right to mention it because you may inadvertently launch the radio once that airbag it sits in front of, goes off.

One thing in this whole mess of a thread I never saw was the size comparison. He was between a Galaxy DX series and a Bearcat, and the Bearcat I have seen in person is smaller than the DX series, at least in depth.

One thing I want to point out too, Handy Andy I believe was the one to mention mounting options, which made me think of this... If you are mounting it in a newer vehicle, PLEASE BE SURE TO LOCATE ANY AND ALL AIRBAGS!!! We all know most newer have them in the steering wheel and the passenger dash, but there are also side curtains, knee bolsters, side of the seat, etc. For example, I have my 520PRO mounted on the knee bolster to the right of the steering column, as close to the center stack as possible, but before I did that I looked for any airbags. You do NOT want your radio launched into you or your passenger if that thing fires off!

Well I just purchased the uniden 980 of Ebay brand new for$ 135 and free shipping, can't wait until it gets here.Thanks for all the advice and comments from u all,much appreciated and Happy New year's to all of you from me!
You're gonna love the radio. The first thing I did was open mine up and remove the beep for every single GD move of any button or knob.

It think the newer models have a software option for that.

Let us know what you think!

Adam

I just wanted to clarify - and I was surprised at so many that came back with NEGATIVE feedback on older "junk" as some posters called those older radios - I do understand that, because I felt that too, as I have searched for parts as well as older radios. I have come across some really nice looking ones and some bone ugly beat-up case ones, but in all those searches. As I deal with more the "Good looking ones", they are not always the best cared for - they may be in nice shape but do they work? That is not always the case, for if someone bought it, then modded it but the mod blew up the radio. Now - you can't use it, so you take it along as a stone until you can send it off to someone that isn't aware of the issues around it.

Andy,

In my experience buying used radios - the ones that look like they're old and ruined is sometimes because they were so good they had long use under the dash or above the windshield for years.

Probably not a good rule but the last 148 GTL I bought looked like it was drug through an opium den but after cleaning up it is a wonderful rig.

The newer revision has a software change to remove the beep.
Older models you have to remove a resistor.
I am amazed that beep made it past the test group to be honest. It's just ridiculous.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
Good morning radio Friends, well as u may remember I had recently had installed a uniden 520 with a tram 300 mag mount to put in my 2012 Hyundai Elantra and I love having a cb back in to listen to traffic reports,ect.... well I am looking down the road to get a compact SSB rig as I miss talking on ssb in the car.it will replace my Ranger 2950 which will not fit and now I use as a base unit with a dipole antenna. The question is I have narrowed down my choices between a uniden 980 and a Galaxy 979, which would be better,smaller to work with?
They will be hooked up to a Wilson 1000 mag mount which I am in the process of repairing, aka: got a new mag mount bottom base part and a new replacement whip.
Also wondering if any of u kind folks would have any other suggestions when t comes to compact ssb rigs for small cars? I plan to use it stock,any ideas I would much appreciate it. Thanks ahead and may u all have a very Merry and blessed Christmas ahead!!!!
Good evening, Well I just received my Uniden 980 in the mail that I ordered,and I just checked and I got the updated version of it, Version 2, I wasn't sure what version I would receive even though it was brand new because these 980s have been out for quite sometime. So probably this coming Sat since iam off work,I'll probably be putting the radio in,if the weather corporates,thanks again for all of your help and advice and suggestions, may you all and your family's have a Happy and Blessed New year in 2019!! Ps: This having rain every day is getting really old,ready for Snow,it's Winter people,lolGod Bless......

A TRC 465 is AM-SSB and a great little radio. Like the Uniden 122

Attachments

• TRC 465.jpg
    TRC 465.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?