• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at the Sirio lineup for mobile use...

I was going to get someone local to do it. But alright... lol I'll just get a jumper. and barrel connector. Any suggestions on where to buy from?

I was going to get someone local to do it. But alright... lol I'll just get a jumper. and barrel connector. Any suggestions on where to buy from?

you already made a trip to DTB to have the radio checked out,, im sure he has barrel connectors and some 8x / mini 8 coax laying around.

as a last resort rat shack has barrel connectors and 10' pre made lengths of rg58 to get you going

you already made a trip to DTB to have the radio checked out,, im sure he has barrel connectors and some 8x / mini 8 coax laying around.

as a last resort rat shack has barrel connectors and 10' pre made lengths of rg58 to get you going

STAY AWAY from rat scrap coax. go to palco.com or even copper .com. they both have
good deals on what ya want

Just ordered a new sirio 145 mag mount from DNJ and to my surprise the coax is 5m Long now instead of 4 meters. That's 16.4ft of coax now. Closer to 18. Will help with my next install greatly as all I needed was about that much extra. Just thought I would throw that in here. .

Reactions: 1 person
Not that the 18ft thing means crap but the coax is longer is all I am saying. May help some from having to purchase extra parts.

Performance wise the one with the longest whip/capture area should margginally be better, but you won't notice it and neither will who your talking too, I imagine they all handle similar power, about 300w comfortably,style wise they are very similar,I haven't had a 5000, but I'm reliably informed by our bob85 that they have stiffer whips and signal fluctuates less, I can neither confirm or disagree with that as the 5000 is only one I haven't used hundreds of times on multiple vehicles, but I don't doubt Bob's words, but is it woirth significantly more money, I doubt it, both 4000 models work equally well, can't fault or tell difference of either.

so best advice I can give is get the one you get best deal on, Sirio catalogues aren't known for their accuracy in power handling or gain? Of mobile antennas, they also claim all are 5/8 wave or 7/8 wave (can't reember which, been a while since I looked through a sirio catalogue), or shit like that, but I can assure you like all mobile antennas they are shortened 1/4 wave, because you use 5/8-7/8 wave worth of wire in a coil, don't make it a 5/8th or 7/8 wave antenna.

That's why a 1/4 wave whip will outdo them, if it truly was a 5/8 wave or 7/8 wave they would beat the 1/4 wave whip, they don't. But they do beat everything else, hnds down, even my beloved av261m, which was my first choice in mobile antennas back in the 80's, its probably better made, but wasn't as efficient nor was the mag base as strong, you can also fit them onto a sirio dv-so239 base, but that means drilling a hole, but should enhance performance slightly, as no matter how well th Mag145pl capacitively couples, nowt beats a solid ground connection in my opinion.

Hope that helps :)

Whatever coax that reaches is what is needed for a sirio antenna install. I used around 21-23 ft for my install on my work van. Great antennas man like said by many others have made contacts all around the world from my mobile, on a magnum 257hp. Get some good coax, I would recommend some times microwave lmr240uf. Great stuff. Well made and can handle power and the elements well. This is JMO. God bless.
"I would recommend some times microwave lmr240uf. Great stuff."
Hey, so would I. LMR-240 is my go to for my mobile install(s).

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.