• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for a 5kc jump mod

sonoma

Sep 14, 2005
oklahoma
I was thinking some one had posted a 5kc jump mod here for a 959 radio with the 69610z board awhile back. if they did I can not find it. any one done this .

I don't know but what about an open clarifier and more slide? That should be easy enough huh?

Align that freq display real well though. 5 digit counters can make it tough to find the right freq without first tuning somebody in.

Last edited by a moderator:
a friend is wanting just a 5kc jump for some reason if it can be done with out a big mess. does not want the clarifier mod to slide that much m makes it hard to tune some one in on SSB going that far.

Sonoma, shift tx/rx 5k down can be done.
It is tricky. Can be done 2 ways. Easy (not so good) or hard way.
Easy way is to put some inductance in series with X3....
BUT: when you align radio to get "0" in the same clarifier position in all modes, "5" in every mode will be shifted a little bit.
When you align radio to get "5" in the same clarifier position in all modes, "0" in every mode will be shifted a little bit.
The way I'm doing it is to switch 3 coils connected to X3 - AM/FM, USB, LSB separate. Than you can align the 0 and 5 no prob.
Mike

I am trying to get him to buy a 2950 radio which will do that from the factory. that is what his friends are using. better than trying to mod a radio to do it.
thanks for your info.

Reactions: 3 people
I am trying to get him to buy a 2950 radio which will do that from the factory. that is what his friends are using. better than trying to mod a radio to do it.
thanks for your info.

thats best bet. personally for me id just unlock clarifer to go 5kc either way.
thats really not alot considering a 10 turn clarifer will go 1 full channel or 10kc
which i dont care for that much.

6900 board clarifier slide. this is the mod I was looking for, for the jump. it was a slide mod. not sure who did the write up on it. this might work if he does not buy a different radio. thought I would post it here incase some one else might want it.

For what it's worth,,,,I just did this one my Galaxy dx949 I do believe its the same board, and I slide down almost 7 and up just over 5

Remove D68 a 1N4148 diode.
Remove R113 a 47 ohm resistor.
Remove R153 a 2.7K resistor.
Jumper D38 a 1N4148 diode with a jumper wire.
Jumper R114 a 2.2K resistor with a jumper wire.
Run a wire from 8 volts constant to J9 pin F1.
stuck the clarifier on center and did a realignment---works really well///

sonoma, ive seen that mod before, and was curious if it made the radio more temperature sensitive as far as stability is concerned?

LC

the guy is looking at another radio for now. not sure if it works right or not. if he decides to try it I will let you know. most radios with that much variance on the clarifier is hard to fine tune some one in from what I have ran into in the past. just barely touch the knob and it moves 2 or 3 KC at once.

Years ago I had a radio that would slide down about 800 Hz but would slide UP about 8 KHz. It was still easy enough to tune someone in when they were 5 KHz up. That is what EVERYONE did back in the day. It wasn't hard back then but people today just have no idea what is hard and what isn't. I guess that is just the difference between being a radio operator and someone who operates a radio if you catch my drift.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.