• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a good rig. 800 or so bucks or less

Mr Clean

May 21, 2005
Want a good SSB rig. Thinking of going for my ticket. Somthing for 11 meters also. I have a Heil PR780 mic so it needs to work well with this. What do you guys recomend. Have been getting some ideas from Eham. The 850 from Kenwood looks intresting! Thanks.

The Kenwoods have the best audio in my opinion. You will be happy with that choice. The FT-940 is an AUDIO MONSTER.

Good luck let us know what you find

SSB rig

Mr Clean,
I sold Happy Hammer one of the best values on the market to date,an Icom 718. Don't know if he still has it, but I missed it so bad I bought another one.
Also I live at Princeton Mr Clean.you have talked to me before
Fuzzy
Triple1 on ssb

Hello Fuzz good to see ya on here. Yes its the one and only. I have a question for you. I will PM you. Good to see yo on here!

i agree on the kenwood audio as well.........

pick up a ts-930 or 940 and use the leftover cash for a 2M if youre thinking of getting your ticket......

i love my TM-271A

scott

Im going to look at a TS850 Kenwood this week somtime. If I buy new that Icom 718 may be just what I need to get started. Thanks for the coments!

I just happen to have this TS-850sat, and if I can locate the radio I'm interested in, the '850 might be for sale (if 'they' wouldn't be interested in trading)...
Forgetting about that for a minute, I think you might like an '850. As far as I'm concerned, Kenwood only made two very good radios, the
Ts-850 and the one I'm looking for (none'ya'bidnez till I get one! ;)). That's just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
- 'Doc

950sdx ts930S
i have heared some sweet sounding 870's on 80 but i like real crystal/mechanical filters,
i always liked the clean tight ts930 receiver for a synthesiser radio, tx aint bad either when the bias circuit is working propperly but it has no fm which i need,
a well run old 830s can sound wonderfull to my ears on ssb,
in more recent years kenwood had a man with badly adjusted deafaids design their latest VOGAD efforts,

now what does doc do most on his radio so we can have a guess:?:

Although admittedly out of your requested $800 range
Is quite hard to beat the Icom IC-7000

It sounds great even with stock mike
better with a good mike

works great

Sorry
but sometimes is worth it to pay a bit more

also the 706 MKIIG works very well (and in your range)
but no where as good as IC-7000
(although both are easy to get to 11 meters)

was the 706 MKIIG i got before i got my ticket
after a few months was when i was like
i need my ticket...lol

Let us know what you get

I guess you are right Cobra about nice things are not cheap but im just getting into the ham thing and besides the TS 850 got a 4.8 out of 5 buy over 90 hams on Eham for its sound quality and receive. Are they all wrong? When I first got into cb I did not have a great setup but it has progressed with time.I make a fine living and could spend 10000 bucks for a top of the line rig if I thought I had to have the best but this will be just a hobby with me. Not my life.

I am always interrested in the negitive comments over the positive in the eham reviews because I think it tells me more about the rig or whatever I am thinking of buying.

I was thinking the same as you but ended up spending a little more for a IC-7000 and never regret it. I got everything I will ever need as I advance the radio hobby and it is a very alsome radio.

Good luck in whatever you get.

Roger

dxChat
Help Users