• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a new CB Radio (SSB).

If you're looking for a CB base - any particular "brand"?

What has stood out for you as likeable, dependable and "brings back good memories" kinda' stuff...the "Warm fuzzies" kinda feeling...?

So any good ones?

You ran the gauntlet - but all are RCI Midland Uniden (CB) but you also mentioned several Amateur inclusive in that list but only one never really got mentioned (two actually - read on) all except Cobra...

IF you run across a 2000 or a 142 I had wonderful times with those - I personally like the 142 myself - more dedicated to the CB, but doesn't not have an Alarm clock waker-upper you'll ever never use...Freq counter? Time? well that's optional...gets complicated too...

But there's a Washington from Uniden...Pro 810e I still have... they are solid performers and truly dedicated CB radios - no frills...but are good radios to listening to QSO's thru to while having a morning cup of coffee. Washington's are LARGE BIG radio faces, but the 810e is more like a Stereo component system

Radio Shack had several bases too - like the Navaho (858) - but they are rare finds...Some of their bases have the "goofy 5-pin half-moon DIN" that not too many liked.

So are you looking for a radio or are you trying to find a case style that fits a "Cubby" in the camper?

If you're looking for a CB base - any particular "brand"?

What has stood out for you as likeable, dependable and "brings back good memories" kinda' stuff...the "Warm fuzzies" kinda feeling...?

So any good ones?

You ran the gauntlet - but all are RCI Midland Uniden (CB) but you also mentioned several Amateur inclusive in that list but only one never really got mentioned (two actually - read on) all except Cobra...

IF you run across a 2000 or a 142 I had wonderful times with those - I personally like the 142 myself - more dedicated to the CB, but doesn't not have an Alarm clock waker-upper you'll ever never use...Freq counter? Time? well that's optional...gets complicated too...

But there's a Washington from Uniden...Pro 810e I still have... they are solid performers and truly dedicated CB radios - no frills...but are good radios to listening to QSO's thru to while having a morning cup of coffee. Washington's are LARGE BIG radio faces, but the 810e is more like a Stereo component system

Radio Shack had several bases too - like the Navaho (858) - but they are rare finds...Some of their bases have the "goofy 5-pin half-moon DIN" that not too many liked.

So are you looking for a radio or are you trying to find a case style that fits a "Cubby" in the camper?
I have all the room the dinette will give...about 3x4, the xyl gave it to me in the motorhome. I had a SBE years ago I liked the looks of.
Now it's not about looks just Function and Reliability. If and when I want to use it, it will be there no problem. I will say I never liked the looks of a 2000. I was found of SBE, Johnson, Pace, Browning. I did have a Navaho base in the 70's and swapped it for "Kriss, (sp) Footwarmer at the big Brake in Omaha.

I really like the looks of this. I don't think one will drop in my lap but man I would hold on to it if it did.
Last one I seen on ebay went for around $450...I figured it would have brought more than that, but that's just the way ebay is...I've seen those old Radio Shack digital swr/watt meters go for over $200 on ebay, then other times not even $100...

I had a SBE years ago I liked the looks of.
Now it's not about looks just Function and Reliability.

I was fond(EDIT) of SBE, Johnson, Pace, Browning. I did have a Navaho base in the 70's and swapped it for "Kriss, (sp) Footwarmer at the big Brake in Omaha.

There lies your answer.

Now, as to what can apply from today?

SIGH - tall order - not much comes to mind.

The technology has left this entire subject as a road kill several exits back...mostly Menu driven and programmable units that when you look at how they function - they don't. I mean not by "expansion" or capabilities to be here - there and everywhere. No! It's not the same - not like the performance of yesteryear when audio quality and functionality worked together to make it a unit - You, the one with the radio station, a wonderful thing to have and to hold - all those you helped - all those whom came by to say hello - now silent...

Funny how you have to go back in time - just to get thru today...

There lies your answer.

Now, as to what can apply from today?

SIGH - tall order - not much comes to mind.

The technology has left this entire subject as a road kill several exits back...mostly Menu driven and programmable units that when you look at how they function - they don't. I mean not by "expansion" or capabilities to be here - there and everywhere. No! It's not the same - not like the performance of yesteryear when audio quality and functionality worked together to make it a unit - You, the one with the radio station, a wonderful thing to have and to hold - all those you helped - all those whom came by to say hello - now silent...

Funny how you have to go back in time - just to get thru today...
I like the way your mind works based on reading your post.
I long for the days of my youth... I want an on/off, a Channel knob, you know K.I.S.S.
The Washington is starting to win the race... Thank you for your time and in put.

Reactions: Handy Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.