• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for a quality compact rig

tim16964

Oct 7, 2012
Hi getting back into the radio I am looking for a compact radio that I can key at 3 watts and swing around 20-30 watts. I want this radio to drive my tnt t900 (magnaforce)a 2 driving 6. I will be using a Wilson 5000 and a Astatic 575 along with it. I am not up on what's new from what I read a few years back the mini magnum could do like 30 watts, but it has awful reviews.

Someone steer me in the right direction

no quality radio will swing 20-30w from a 3 watt carrier, only a molested heap of pish will do that.;)

you certainly wouldn't want to run a filthy overmodulated output like your describing into a linear, not unless you want to upset half the spectrum users in your area.

Yes I agree 100% I am not looking to be a splash box is gladly sacrifice 200 watts for quality modulation. I had the same set up coupled to a 2950 and I believe it was keying 3 watts and swinging to around 20 but I could be wrong. I really do love my 2950 it is more of an issue of how much real estate it takes up in my vehicle.

If it really isn't possible to find what I am looking for then can someone direct me to a compact radio that they think would work best.

I have a Magnum 257HP and it works great, despite all the negative reviews posted here. Very strong in all modes. It has variable power, so you can put the dead key as low as you want. I think mine goes down to two watts. Nice thing is, SSB output is adjustable too, unlike my Lincoln.

If the AM performance on the CRE can be souped up, it might be worth looking at too. And really... with an amp the AM might be just fine anyway.

RT307

OK my $.02.
Find a used 257 or spend the cash and get a Optima. Which ever 1 you get , turn the output down some as to not over drive the amp. That little extra you might get, no one can tell the difference so keep it clean and have fun.

That amp (2x6) doesn't need much drive to do full output ( This is kind of a rant because I do not like built in drivers so take some of this with a grain of salt) because the output of the built in driver section is really too much for the 6 finals
They do that and then pad the hell out of the input to bleed some of the drive off before it gets to the finals anyway.
You are in the ballpark with the 2/3 watt key, and 15 to 18 watts max into it should get "reasonably clean" output for that style of amp.

binrat posted:
turn the output down some as to not over drive the amp. That little extra you might get, no one can tell the difference so keep it clean and have fun.

Good Advise, Run a radio that has the AMC intact lower the dead key until you see about 300 watts out of the amp, and adjust the AMC to limit peak input to 18 watts drive and do not worry about what the meter is doing out the back.
Your Radio, Amp and friends will all thank you.
I know Carl will say that the 900 will do big numbers, but the guy you are talking to on the other end will never know it.

Jeff

Thank you for all the information... I have cobra 148 dx or a grant xl that will work fine. Kinda given up on finding something small.

That amp (2x6) doesn't need much drive to do full output ( This is kind of a rant because I do not like built in drivers so take some of this with a grain of salt) because the output of the built in driver section is really too much for the 6 finals
They do that and then pad the hell out of the input to bleed some of the drive off before it gets to the finals anyway.
You are in the ballpark with the 2/3 watt key, and 15 to 18 watts max into it should get "reasonably clean" output for that style of amp.

binrat posted:

Good Advise, Run a radio that has the AMC intact lower the dead key until you see about 300 watts out of the amp, and adjust the AMC to limit peak input to 18 watts drive and do not worry about what the meter is doing out the back.
Your Radio, Amp and friends will all thank you.
I know Carl will say that the 900 will do big numbers, but the guy you are talking to on the other end will never know it.

Jeff

Somewhat new to amps here so forgive me if this line of questioning is dumb. What would you suggest driving 6 pills with if a 2 pill drive section is too much? I would think a one pill would not be enough drive to get the full potential of the six. Can you explain this a bit for me?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.