• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a small footprint bean antenna.

2PD198

May 25, 2022
Hi, currently have a vertical (Imax 2000) but looking for something directional I can mount about 30 foot in the air. I did some research and came up with following choices.

Maco Y Quad
Maco V Quad
MFJ-1890 Moxon
SE-10MB Moxon
Cubex Magnum 2CB
lightning antennas L2 quad

Did I miss any? Also does anyone have any experiences, good or bad?
Mainly using it for DX SSB

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Not sure Cubex is still in business... a Maco M103 would be hard to beat... the Lightening L2 would be my choice I have an L4+ up and it works great... also is this on a tower or push up mast?

For Info

Small footprint and not overboard on cost.
He also does a comparison with the Imax 2000.
Someone here, Maybe @HomerBB built a homebrew one I think.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N and Marconi
A hex beam, single band would fit the criteria. Not too tough to homebrew, as there are plenty of vendors that make DIY Hex Beam components. The MFJ Moxon is a good concept and similar to the Hex, but the materials quality sucks.

A 3 EL Yagi, would have a roughly 8 foot boom. That additional element would make a big difference in front to back/side and forward gain.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.