• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for better understanding of CB feature functions

May 28, 2023
I’ve been looking for an explanation all in one place of the differences between certain CB features that seem similar. I’ve had to hop around looking each one up individually. Two categories in particular are confusing, noise control functions and squelch vs RF gain.

The noise control features are automatic noise limiter (ANL), noise blanker (NB), Hi-cut, receive noise reduction (RNR), and there may be more. Reading about these, it seems some of them do the same things such as clipping the signal to limit noise. I’ve read that hi-cut and ANL both do this. Is there a guide somewhere that has this in a list format making it easier to read?

Also Squelch and RF gain, I keep reading how they’re not the same but then the explanations go on to describe them both seeming to do the same thing. I understand squelch restricting sensitivity to keep noise and weak signals out, but then it seems RF gain also works so that only stronger signals can get through.

One final thing, about automatic squelch control. If I understand it right, all it seems to be is just one preset level of squelch. Like on a scale of 1 to 10, you pick 5 and that’s what it is every time it is active. Right?

ANL is Automatic Noise Limiter. This feature simply "clips" noise pulses down the same level as the voice modulation. Helps, but doesn't actually get rid of any impulse noise. This is an AM-only feature that doesn't work when receiving single sideband.

NB is the Noise Blanker. This feature detects noise pulses, and amplifies them separately from the channel audio. The pulses are then used to shut off the receiver off for the brief duration of the noise pulse. When the pulse noise is the right kind, this feature can bring a weak station up out of the noise as if he had kicked on an amplifier. And some kinds of noise just won't trigger the NB function properly. This feature works on AM and SSB receive, both.

Squelch is a switch. It shuts off the receiver audio until the incoming signal reaches the turn-on threshold level. This level is set by the squelch control. Turned all the way to the left, and everything comes through. The farther you turn it to the right, the higher the S-meter must reach to switch the audio back on.

RF Gain is a sensitivity control for the receiver. Just makes all the signals and the noise weaker together. Turn it down and the S-meter reading will fall back, as if everyone just got weaker. This control will affect the squelch setting, but the squelch knob doesn't change what a station shows on the S-meter.

Since the strength of a signal determines whether or not the squelch circuit will switch the audio back on, turning down the RF Gain has the effect of also turning the squelch knob the other way, in effect.

Years ago, a brand of base-station radio called "SBE" would have a second meter alongside the S-meter. As you turned the squelch knob to the right, the needle would rise from the bottom of the scale. What it was meant to show was how high the S-meter would have to reach before you hear receiver audio.

Looked handy, but it was a feature that never caught on with any other brand.

And if you're still curious about what goes on inside, this book is the best one I know to get acquainted.

https://cbcintl.com/segbook.htm

ANL is Automatic Noise Limiter. This feature simply "clips" noise pulses down the same level as the voice modulation. Helps, but doesn't actually get rid of any impulse noise. This is an AM-only feature that doesn't work when receiving single sideband.

NB is the Noise Blanker. This feature detects noise pulses, and amplifies them separately from the channel audio. The pulses are then used to shut off the receiver off for the brief duration of the noise pulse. When the pulse noise is the right kind, this feature can bring a weak station up out of the noise as if he had kicked on an amplifier. And some kinds of noise just won't trigger the NB function properly. This feature works on AM and SSB receive, both.

Squelch is a switch. It shuts off the receiver audio until the incoming signal reaches the turn-on threshold level. This level is set by the squelch control. Turned all the way to the left, and everything comes through. The farther you turn it to the right, the higher the S-meter must reach to switch the audio back on.

RF Gain is a sensitivity control for the receiver. Just makes all the signals and the noise weaker together. Turn it down and the S-meter reading will fall back, as if everyone just got weaker. This control will affect the squelch setting, but the squelch knob doesn't change what a station shows on the S-meter.

Since the strength of a signal determines whether or not the squelch circuit will switch the audio back on, turning down the RF Gain has the effect of also turning the squelch knob the other way, in effect.

Years ago, a brand of base-station radio called "SBE" would have a second meter alongside the S-meter. As you turned the squelch knob to the right, the needle would rise from the bottom of the scale. What it was meant to show was how high the S-meter would have to reach before you hear receiver audio.

Looked handy, but it was a feature that never caught on with any other brand.

And if you're still curious about what goes on inside, this book is the best one I know to get acquainted.

https://cbcintl.com/segbook.htm

Thumbs up on cbc

Lou writes in a way that helps break things down simply, his Pll book is a great reference for older CB radios.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
Thank you for that explanation. It helps a lot!

OK, so I’m comprehending that the squelch DOES NOT reduce the radio’s sensitivity to signals or noise, it simply sets a threshold that the signal strength or noise strength will need to break before it lets the sound come through. An incoming signal may still cause the S-meter to move or light up when it is received but I still may not hear it, according to how strong it is or isn’t and its ability to break the squelch threshold.

The RF gain DOES weaken the radio’s sensitivity to incoming signals and noise so that I may not hear either of them, and also causes the S-meter to move less or even not at all due to reduced sensitivity, according to how much or little RF gain I have applied.

If the above is correct, then it seems that articles claiming that RF gain can cut noise and allow continued conversation with signals that are getting weaker with distance is incorrect because the RF gain is reducing both at the same time. The only way I can see that that would work is if RF gain could reduce noise levels at a higher rate than it does signal strength sensitivity.

The only thing I’m still confused about is the phrase “turning down the RF gain”, and I have read that turning the knob to the right is turning it down, which seems backwards to what I would think. It seems most of these controls run from 6dB to 48dB, so if I turn it down, does that mean moving towards the 6dB end of the scale or the opposite?

Finally, how important do you feel it is to have RF gain as a feature? I’m looking at a few small radios for my truck, and a couple have RF gain but have no other noise cutting features. However there is one that has ANL, NB, and Hi-cut, but has no RF gain. Would any of this make or break your choice of a radio? Right now based on what I “think” I know, I believe I’d rather have the radio with noise cutting features like hi-cut and NB and no RF gain, as opposed to having RF gain without the noise cutting features. For reference I’m looking at the President Bill II (no RF gain), the Cobra 19 Mini AM/FM, and the Radioddity CB-27 Pro (both have RF gain). These are extremely compact radios but where I need to put this radio, a larger size won’t work. Otherwise I’d go for the President Johnny III which has all of it.

Last edited:
Interesting....

Quite the question!

When you ask this question -
Squelch and RF gain, I keep reading how they’re not the same but then the explanations go on to describe them both seeming to do the same thing. I understand squelch restricting sensitivity to keep noise and weak signals out, but then it seems RF gain also works so that only stronger signals can get through.

As you already experienced, Squelch does not change "Sensitivity" nor does it do anything for "Selectivity" - two factors that Squelch ignores, but RF Gain can utilize.

Ok, grab your owners manual - look up the "Specifications" section...

Perhaps you'll need to look at how the radio is rated as a performer - not just that it has the ability to receive signals and you hear them.

I'm sure you've heard the "bleedover" or worse, a type of condition where the radio itself - sensing a strong signal on another channel - tends to reduce the ability to even hear the signal on the channel you are trying to listen on. A factor called (Image) Rejection or Adjacent Channel Rejection - these two add into a figure of merit that looks at the radios' ability to "hear" the channel you selected - not everything else.

So really, any radio can operate like any other - if you only used the Squelch control and volume - but the reasons for RF Gain and the others like ANL and NB - provide a level of filtering and performance to aid you in finding and keeping a QSO working when other operators or ambient noises are creating conditions that make that very effort extremely difficult.

To help you start down the right paths of using your radios' features, you can think of RF gain as a means to knock down the overall level of noise and signal you have to process your antenna has sent to your radio. The receiver works with less input signal affecting all the range of frequency including on the channel. A factor of Selectivity and Sensitivity - letting the radio do the work of finding and pulling out the signals you want to hear.

ANL is better for taming noise you have within the signal and the channel you're QSO-ing on. NB is even better for the MODE of operation you're in.

Did you catch that? MODE - being SSB, FM or AM or even CW - no matter the mode, the RF Gain helps in knocking down the overall input receiver signals and noise strength by reducing the receivers Sensitivity - letting the radios - Selectivity take over and provide some better control over the bandwidth of noise still present - with the desired result being the noise is less around the frequency or channel you are working. .

You cannot remove the noise present within the signal - that requires processing - so much of the ANL NB debate is mostly to focus on the Amplitude of the noise compared to the waveform of the audio signal - that is a form of processing - clipping - and blanking - both are a form of processing - designed to lessen - even remove - noises that do not "match" a pre-determined slope rise or fall - that can be called audio - so filters are also a part of this as a form of smoothing during the processing.

Since AM was a common method of transmission (still is) the effort to reduce noise was to attempt to limit, clip or blank out - sections of audio signal so you didn't have to listen to the noise - just the audio present in the signal.

But SSB, can't utilize ANL like AM can, so by signal containing both the strength in carrier and audio in envelope - ANL uses the signal strength and compares or processes the Audio in the envelope - using the signals strength to clean up noise and let more audio be heard as the signal receiver gets stronger. Then ANL stops working so it doesn't over process the signal - by the factor of compensation. Once it gets a signal strong enough - it doesn't smooth out any more audio - it simply rides along thru the filtering network unprocessed but still filtered.

Noise Blanker is similar - but resides as part of the radios own IF processing section - so it too sees a sample of the input the receiver sees and then tries to sample, develop a signal from the impulse noises present in the sample - to obtain a working pulse - and inverts the pulse and use it to send signal that would have the impulse noise - sent to ground or some of the signal - sent to ground - so the rest can then be processed and detected. What you hear is lesser noise and impulses that otherwise mask the audio.

The RF Gain control is often a mis-diagnosed cure for a situation of others that wish to use the radio in and around other radios with strong signals that use different channels - only to find that the RF Gain is useless to reduce overload - which is a factor of performance - you are encountering too much RF of a signal in close proximity - distorting the overall general input the receiver is trying to use - against a signal that you are trying to hear - that is lost forever due to the ambient distortion the receiver input has produced because of those stronger signals have clamped and forced the RF input section to over amplify and distort the entire signal.

So RF Gain as itself can provide an extra tool in the toolbox of your radios receiver performance to lessen noises and signals both in and around your listening or working frequency - to let the radios own selectivity to help you find what you wanted to hear and work - by reducing sensitivity so selectivity prevails.

Squelch doesn't do that, it simply quenches all the input signal both strong and weak - by quieting the speaker. When a strong signal on the frequency you are listening to - appears - that circuit then stops the quenching and opens the line from the detector that has all the audio the receiver has picked up - you hear thru the speaker. The quenching is adjustable so you can hear the signal to tailor to your needs - if it were to fade - or if the user was away on an errand using their radio - you can set the squelch to open - or break - to let you know and perceive the users proximity to your station by the signal strength it is able to break the squelch open with.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Not really going with what you're asking but this is something valuable for a new guy in the hobby.

Don't let some knucklehead meter reader cb shop talk you into a peak-n-tune for your radio. Only a trusted tech should get under the hood of your rig.

Wish someone would have told me that in the beginning.

I wasn’t really planning on having one peaked and tuned because I don’t yet fully understand what all it does. My basic understanding has always been changing the power output from 4 watts to some higher number. I’d like to understand radio modifications in greater detail. Right now I’m shopping for one that has as many features as I can get already built in, but I’m limited on space to install it in my truck so this really limits how large it can be.

In practical use, you use the squelch to quiet out the background noise. You can quiet out or squelch just the background white noise. If someone is there and kinda weak you don't want to listen to but still wait for your friend to show up or listen for others that are stronger in signal strength, you can turn up the squelch a bit and quiet out the weak guy too.

You might use the RF gain and turn the gain down when someone is stupid strong to reduce the receiver sensitivity and hear that person more comfortably.

Play with the controls and you will see how they work after a while and how you can use them to your benefit. Myself, I never use the squelch on AM or SSB unless scanning when you have to squelch to some extent anyway. On FM I always use the squelch as I do not expect to hear any particularly weak operators on FM.

Interesting....

Quite the question!

When you ask this question -

As you already experienced, Squelch does not change "Sensitivity" nor does it do anything for "Selectivity" - two factors that Squelch ignores, but RF Gain can utilize.

Ok, grab your owners manual - look up the "Specifications" section...

Perhaps you'll need to look at how the radio is rated as a performer - not just that it has the ability to receive signals and you hear them.

I'm sure you've heard the "bleedover" or worse, a type of condition where the radio itself - sensing a strong signal on another channel - tends to reduce the ability to even hear the signal on the channel you are trying to listen on. A factor called (Image) Rejection or Adjacent Channel Rejection - these two add into a figure of merit that looks at the radios' ability to "hear" the channel you selected - not everything else.

So really, any radio can operate like any other - if you only used the Squelch control and volume - but the reasons for RF Gain and the others like ANL and NB - provide a level of filtering and performance to aid you in finding and keeping a QSO working when other operators or ambient noises are creating conditions that make that very effort extremely difficult.

To help you start down the right paths of using your radios' features, you can think of RF gain as a means to knock down the overall level of noise and signal you have to process your antenna has sent to your radio. The receiver works with less input signal affecting all the range of frequency including on the channel. A factor of Selectivity and Sensitivity - letting the radio do the work of finding and pulling out the signals you want to hear.

ANL is better for taming noise you have within the signal and the channel you're QSO-ing on. NB is even better for the MODE of operation you're in.

Did you catch that? MODE - being SSB, FM or AM or even CW - no matter the mode, the RF Gain helps in knocking down the overall input receiver signals and noise strength by reducing the receivers Sensitivity - letting the radios - Selectivity take over and provide some better control over the bandwidth of noise still present - with the desired result being the noise is less around the frequency or channel you are working. .

You cannot remove the noise present within the signal - that requires processing - so much of the ANL NB debate is mostly to focus on the Amplitude of the noise compared to the waveform of the audio signal - that is a form of processing - clipping - and blanking - both are a form of processing - designed to lessen - even remove - noises that do not "match" a pre-determined slope rise or fall - that can be called audio - so filters are also a part of this as a form of smoothing during the processing.

Since AM was a common method of transmission (still is) the effort to reduce noise was to attempt to limit, clip or blank out - sections of audio signal so you didn't have to listen to the noise - just the audio present in the signal.

But SSB, can't utilize ANL like AM can, so by signal containing both the strength in carrier and audio in envelope - ANL uses the signal strength and compares or processes the Audio in the envelope - using the signals strength to clean up noise and let more audio be heard as the signal receiver gets stronger. Then ANL stops working so it doesn't over process the signal - by the factor of compensation. Once it gets a signal strong enough - it doesn't smooth out any more audio - it simply rides along thru the filtering network unprocessed but still filtered.

Noise Blanker is similar - but resides as part of the radios own IF processing section - so it too sees a sample of the input the receiver sees and then tries to sample, develop a signal from the impulse noises present in the sample - to obtain a working pulse - and inverts the pulse and use it to send signal that would have the impulse noise - sent to ground or some of the signal - sent to ground - so the rest can then be processed and detected. What you hear is lesser noise and impulses that otherwise mask the audio.

The RF Gain control is often a mis-diagnosed cure for a situation of others that wish to use the radio in and around other radios with strong signals that use different channels - only to find that the RF Gain is useless to reduce overload - which is a factor of performance - you are encountering too much RF of a signal in close proximity - distorting the overall general input the receiver is trying to use - against a signal that you are trying to hear - that is lost forever due to the ambient distortion the receiver input has produced because of those stronger signals have clamped and forced the RF input section to over amplify and distort the entire signal.

So RF Gain as itself can provide an extra tool in the toolbox of your radios receiver performance to lessen noises and signals both in and around your listening or working frequency - to let the radios own selectivity to help you find what you wanted to hear and work - by reducing sensitivity so selectivity prevails.

Squelch doesn't do that, it simply quenches all the input signal both strong and weak - by quieting the speaker. When a strong signal on the frequency you are listening to - appears - that circuit then stops the quenching and opens the line from the detector that has all the audio the receiver has picked up - you hear thru the speaker. The quenching is adjustable so you can hear the signal to tailor to your needs - if it were to fade - or if the user was away on an errand using their radio - you can set the squelch to open - or break - to let you know and perceive the users proximity to your station by the signal strength it is able to break the squelch open with.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for that great, in-depth answer. I had to read it twice, several hours apart, to fully comprehend it, but after the second read through I feel I have a much better understanding of RF gain and what it does. Also the noise filters, too.

Now, the trouble is, finding a radio that has the right combination of some of these features, and knowing which ones I should prioritize. Ideally, I’d want one that has them all. Physically, the radios I’ve seem that do have them just won’t fit in my truck where I need to put one. The President Bill II FCC has three of the noise filters, ANL, NB, and Hi-cut, but no RF gain. There’s also an interesting little one hander from Radioddity, the CS-47 and it has RF gain, Hi-cut, and RNR and TNR (receive and transmit noise reduction) which I understand to use digital signal processing to remove noise.

To help your choice, many times the RF gain control - when you run your engine - the engine whine and noise tends to mash and mush into the volume you set to hear conversation - it's a factor of the radios AGC, Audio (Or automatic) Gain Control). everything received tends to sound nearly the same level - and usually is the reason why many would use the RF Gain.

When you don't have RF Gain, you would default to using the Squelch and hope others wanting to talk - they can break it by sending out enough signal to overcome that threshold and noise level it's blocking.

If you're not running the motor, yet parked - you may encounter noise that drowns out your conversation - or makes it harder to hear others. Sometimes just moving along helps but in many cases due to local parking laws - you might be stuck in an area with power line noise or other types of noise that just can not be tamed.

RF gain Reduces the VOLUME of the noise you hear - as well as the noise present on the channel and the signals arriving - thru the antenna - into your radio - by controlling the amount of GAIN a section of your radio has. RF Gain control - once understood, is a misnomer, for in some radios it affects an area that lets signal in to be amplified, by varying the level of power it receives to power the amplifier in the stage - or apply more power to force a Diode into more conduction to send more RF signal to ground using PIN diodes. It's before the 1st stage of RF amplification - so it works more like an attenuator than that of a gain function.

AGC - on the other hand - is a built in function of any radio - so it averages out the volume of signal and noise to a range of volume - almost like a compressor. Because it is - in function and in operation - a feedback to the front of the receiver where the signal arrives - to help average out the signal and remove dynamics that would affect and make it difficult to hear - wildly varying signal strengths that can occur from moving stations.

In combining the PIN attenuators before and the AGC result from after the signal is processed was done for decades in the CB radio - as one of the more common and effective means to control signal reproduction without excessive distortion.

You can't fix destroyed signal caused by OVERAMPLIFICATION in the RF amp stage - so that stage is limited in gain. PIN diodes help to limit the level of signal going into the RF amp stage - but cannot recover signal that is swamped by other signals and interference causing overload - the clipping and saturation effects is why the Gain of the RF Amp stage is limited. The dynamics of the incoming noises and signal beyond the working limits applied to the input of the RF Amp are what makes the distortion - and applying both an attenuator thru RF gain control and the AGC to control the gain of the latter IF stages by controlling the power developed by the amplifier in that specific stage - are what helps to improve the recovery of signals even in noisy environments like power lines and stronger stations on other channels - utilizing the Selectivity by reducing the Sensitivity of the signals received to help separate the desired signals from the noise present.

I, and others use it to knock down that noise to a point where - even though you hear it - the NB and ANL work with this "less gain" to make the listening more enjoyable.

Squelch doesn't - just quiets the noise and signals until something - either noise or signal or both mixed in - rise to a level that the Squelch threshold then is broken and you hear this "result" thru the speaker.

Attachments

• 1686967241740.png
    1686967241740.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation. It helps a lot!

OK, so I’m comprehending that the squelch DOES NOT reduce the radio’s sensitivity to signals or noise, it simply sets a threshold that the signal strength or noise strength will need to break before it lets the sound come through. An incoming signal may still cause the S-meter to move or light up when it is received but I still may not hear it, according to how strong it is or isn’t and its ability to break the squelch threshold.

The RF gain DOES weaken the radio’s sensitivity to incoming signals and noise so that I may not hear either of them, and also causes the S-meter to move less or even not at all due to reduced sensitivity, according to how much or little RF gain I have applied.

If the above is correct, then it seems that articles claiming that RF gain can cut noise and allow continued conversation with signals that are getting weaker with distance is incorrect because the RF gain is reducing both at the same time. The only way I can see that that would work is if RF gain could reduce noise levels at a higher rate than it does signal strength sensitivity.

The only thing I’m still confused about is the phrase “turning down the RF gain”, and I have read that turning the knob to the right is turning it down, which seems backwards to what I would think. It seems most of these controls run from 6dB to 48dB, so if I turn it down, does that mean moving towards the 6dB end of the scale or the opposite?

Finally, how important do you feel it is to have RF gain as a feature? I’m looking at a few small radios for my truck, and a couple have RF gain but have no other noise cutting features. However there is one that has ANL, NB, and Hi-cut, but has no RF gain. Would any of this make or break your choice of a radio? Right now based on what I “think” I know, I believe I’d rather have the radio with noise cutting features like hi-cut and NB and no RF gain, as opposed to having RF gain without the noise cutting features. For reference I’m looking at the President Bill II (no RF gain), the Cobra 19 Mini AM/FM, and the Radioddity CB-27 Pro (both have RF gain). These are extremely compact radios but where I need to put this radio, a larger size won’t work. Otherwise I’d go for the President Johnny III which has all of it.
If the person across the street gets a CB, you will turn back the RF Gain.

After getting my radio, I finally understand RF gain a lot better. It reduces noise and signal both, but I guess the selectivity of this radio seems to cut the noise a little more than it does the voice signals. I’ve been able to tweak it to help reduce noise and hear distant stations better, and so far I’ve also used it at least once to dial down a guy who was just overbearingly loud. As a result, now I don’t think I could ever be happy with a radio that doesn’t have RF gain. For me this will eliminate a whole lot of radios out there if I find myself buying one again.

Also I didn’t think hi-cut would matter all that much as compared to other noise reducers like noise blanker. I was wrong. Hi-cut is the only thing that makes listening to the noise floor even tolerable as I manually scan through the channels listening for faint voices to try to tune in. Noise blanker actually doesn’t seem to help all that much. I can still pick up my turn signals and brake lights operating (they’re LED). Concerning that, right now the radio is temporarily hooked up to a 12v cigarette lighter port for power. I’m planning to run a dedicated power wire and make a better and separate DC ground to the frame. I hope the grounding takes care of that, and if not then there’s always ferrite cores and bonding straps to try. The light noise is not there all the time. It seems it comes during certain times of the day or when I’m in certain areas, on the evening drive home from work, at the same time and in the same places. On the drive to work in the morning it seems to be less but it sometimes can be heard.

Let’s see, what else. Oh yeah, ANL, I don’t know how well this works. It is built in and therefore active all the time. There’s no way to selectively turn it on and off. I also don’t have NRC (digital noise reduction) so I can’t speak to that either. Originally I was looking at a President Harrison II radio that had all these noise reducers on tap, even an on/off for ANL, and it also had noise gate for TX noise reduction. But that radio didn’t have RF gain. I’m glad I went with the President Johnny III instead because it has RF gain, and so far I’m thinking it was worth the sacrifice of the other stuff. Using RF gain to dial back the sensitivity, I’ve been able to listen in on things I could not have without it.

Last edited:
This is a very comprehensive list but there is one more function that hasn't been covered. The O F F switch. This switch supersedes all of the other functions. If there is massive static, carrier throwers or any other form of undesirable operation, the O F F switch is the answer. Luckily this function is easy to find, isn't hard on the radio and is always reversible.

I didn’t really study on that feature too much since they all had it. I kinda just figured it works the same from one model to the next. About the only thing to consider is did I want it in knob form or push button, LOL!

In all seriousness, that is something to consider for many other features as well, knobs or buttons, and I think knobs should win every time.

I didn’t really study on that feature too much since they all had it. I kinda just figured it works the same from one model to the next. About the only thing to consider is did I want it in knob form or push button, LOL!

In all seriousness, that is something to consider for many other features as well, knobs or buttons, and I think knobs should win every time.
Agreed!
I've got a Stryker 25mc in the commuter with no squelch knob.... thing is extremely annoying to adjust in traffic through a menu.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.