• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For: Foam ball for an MC-85 microphone!

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Hiya folks, I have a very nice Kenwood MC-85 desk microphone, but the foam ball that's on the end of the neck is sun faded really bad and has a couple of burn spots on it. I would like to find another foam ball to replace it, where would a person be able to purchase said item?

I have discovered that this mic sounds superb on my Realistic Navaho TRC-458 base, so I have been using this mic on the daily, and I would like to have a nice, new foam ball for the mic. Any suggestions on where I could get one would be great. Thanks in advance!

~Cheers~

Shoot, well, I had a bunch from Radio Shack days - they were used for their "Telescopic" Unidirectional Boom mic -

upload_2020-7-31_22-12-6.png

Considering the head was about a lot like the diameter of the Astatic EchoMax2000(?) element - you just scissor off the - tail...

Its all about stopping the popping and the ssissing so any piece of cloth or sponge will do the trick. Yeah socktoe is a good solution though clean and fresh is surely much more preferable, than dirty.
The solution being sought is clear and clarafiable ( if that's how it spelt) mike "overs". It proves to be a good solution. Good ideas that tend to be copied again and again, year in year out......

The mic picked up a "pfttt" sound. Didn't want to take the mic apart and put foam inside. I tried foam on the outside and that piece of thin sock over it to hold foam in place. That worked.

Also found out by "radio checks" the sock worked better minus the foam. I was told the foam inside eliminated the "pfttt" but the audio was somewhat suppressed. Took the foam out. Been wearing socks ever since. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.