• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for JC Penney 6241 relay part number

TM86

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2014
Payson, AZ
Got a JC Penney 6241 on the bench with various issues, fix one and find the next. It has a working relay, but it's definitely not the original, or even an equivalent. Somebody bodged in a completely different relay with at least 6 inches of wire on each contact, so it's just sort of flopping around every time I move the radio.

For obvious reasons I was hoping someone happened to know what the original relay part number was and/or if an equivalent can still be found. I've looked in the Sam's book, the number given doesn't seem to map to anything outside of JC Penney's stock room.

Did you get the information you were looking for? I found a 6241 in some of the stuff I inherited that I could open up and have a look. I don't know if the radio works, no power cord, but that shouldn't be an issue on looking at the part.

Did you get the information you were looking for? I found a 6241 in some of the stuff I inherited that I could open up and have a look. I don't know if the radio works, no power cord, but that shouldn't be an issue on looking at the part.
Not yet. There's a good chance the original is unobtainium, but with the part number I can know for sure.

TM86 -

I looked up that rig in Sams #235. Part number listed is 5640062. no other part ID, and no subs listed. Looking at the relay in the photos is a dead end too, as the photos are so grainy (typical Sams), and with it being in the corner of the board wiring covered it up.
I think your best shot is to have Smokinone look at his and see if there is any useful info printed on the relay itself. Otherwise have him tell you what configuration it is (SPDT,DPDT,etc.) and try to find one that fits. Good luck.

TM86 -

I looked up that rig in Sams #235. Part number listed is 5640062. no other part ID, and no subs listed. Looking at the relay in the photos is a dead end too, as the photos are so grainy (typical Sams), and with it being in the corner of the board wiring covered it up.
I think your best shot is to have Smokinone look at his and see if there is any useful info printed on the relay itself. Otherwise have him tell you what configuration it is (SPDT,DPDT,etc.) and try to find one that fits. Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to at least attempt to find the info.

At this point I'm figuring if the original can't be found I'll have to either deal with what I've got as is or grab something a little smaller that I have on hand and use perfboard to create an adapter. I'd just to like to get a "new" original style part in there if I can.

Attachments

• RL601_JCP6241.jpg
    RL601_JCP6241.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
RL601 is the relay at the front of the radio. Hope this helps.

Kens has a TECK 6V, doesn't appear to have the 9V

Thanks! That's a lot more than I had to go on yesterday.

Glad to help. This one is real clean on the inside, had to knock off and wipe 15 years of dirt and dust off. I've been letting it cook with 12V hooked up for an hour + or so. Cleaned the controls and the channel switch, now I have all the segments on the channel display which I didn't initially. No light for the meter initially, now it's working after the cook. Had nothing when first connected and turned on, now I'm receiving station from CO area. This has a great receiver. Appears to have had a channel switch put in, haven't tried to X-mit.
I'm sure it will need at least a recap and tune.

Found this as well:

I don't know if you'd have any better luck, check CB-SAMS 246 (I'm almost positive about that number), because the Sears am/ssb ac-dc radio is the same. Maybe the relay number for it will lead you to the one you want.

I don't know if you'd have any better luck, check CB-SAMS 246 (I'm almost positive about that number), because the Sears am/ssb ac-dc radio is the same. Maybe the relay number for it will lead you to the one you want.
Checked that just now, same useless part number, 5640062. Too bad, it was good idea to search a second source.

Glad to help. This one is real clean on the inside, had to knock off and wipe 15 years of dirt and dust off. I've been letting it cook with 12V hooked up for an hour + or so. Cleaned the controls and the channel switch, now I have all the segments on the channel display which I didn't initially. No light for the meter initially, now it's working after the cook. Had nothing when first connected and turned on, now I'm receiving station from CO area. This has a great receiver. Appears to have had a channel switch put in, haven't tried to X-mit.
I'm sure it will need at least a recap and tune.
This one came to me with a dead 8 volt regulator and a dead audio amp chip. I've got those fixed and decided the relay flopping around was a PITA.

I've got a 12 volt relay here I can try out to see if the radio will energize the coil. The schematic has a number next to the relay coil of "250". I'm hoping that's Ohms resistance as the one I have is listed as 275 Ohms, so pretty close. May not be tonight, though, as there's another radio on the bench right now in what best could be described as "exploded view."

Enjoy your radio, you've got a keeper. Thanks again for the assist.

I lied, I was able to get to it tonight. I checked the existing relay and found that there was a 12 volt drop across the coil when keyed. If that's the original voltage, I think I may have an idea what may have led to the original relay failing and being replaced with the thing on a pigtail.

The replacement I put in tonight is an Omron G2R-24. I had to fit it in the available space with it's smallest side towards the board and the bottom perpendicular to the face of the radio pointing towards the center. The original Teck relay footprint was about 3/4" by 5/8", roughly, while tonight's replacement is about 1 1/8" long by 1/2" wide by 1" tall. I did end up with another wiring bundle, but much smaller and not all one color which should make it easier on the next guy.

I'm throwing in before and after pictures in case my description isn't clear enough. Not that my photos are.

6241_before.JPG
6241_after.JPG

Bonus: The radio is now transmitting, which it wasn't doing before.

The "TECK" is a "SOL" relay as in you're out of luck.

Hasn't been made in decades. Was never licensed to any alternative third-party manufacturer. A genuine dinosaur product.

There is one in my Teac reel-to-reel tape deck, served as the mute function when fast-winding the tape. Until it broke. A search on the interwebs for the part number will usually turn up someone fixing old audio equipment looking for spares.

And I just turn down the volume when shuttling the tape reverse or forward.

Your hookup is what I was going to recommend. Rock on!

Reactions: Holydvr
Got a JC Penney 6241 on the bench with various issues, fix one and find the next. It has a working relay, but it's definitely not the original, or even an equivalent. Somebody bodged in a completely different relay with at least 6 inches of wire on each contact, so it's just sort of flopping around every time I move the radio.

For obvious reasons I was hoping someone happened to know what the original relay part number was and/or if an equivalent can still be found. I've looked in the Sam's book, the number given doesn't seem to map to anything outside of JC Penney's stock room.

Do you have the 12V power cable? If you do, could you tell me what 2 pins on the back of the radio they are connected to?
Kinda looks like maybe the bottom left and top right of the 4 pins it plugs into. Hard for me to tell though. The top 2 AC plugs I have figured out.

This is what I'm thinking
6241 DC input.jpg
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I do not have the DC power cord. I've been using a printer power cord onto the AC pins.

Don't know if it helps any, but the diagram of the "Sears 6" power socket over at Kens Electronics seems to agree with your pic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.