• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for Manufacturer of these 4 Units

Steve M.

Feb 8, 2018
I am looking for what will hopefully be definitive information on who the manufacturer was for the four vintage units listed below. I have rather exhaustively searched the internet on this topic and pretty much found the same non-answer for all four: "maybe it was either Cybernet, Uniden, or Hitachi."

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

JC Penney Pinto Mobile 23 Channel 1976

Sears Roadtalker Model No. 934-36772600 23 Channel SSB, Base / Mobile 1977

Lafayette Telsat 925 23 Channel Base 1975

Realistic Navaho TRC-30A 23 Channel Base 1976 [Radio Shack]

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I am looking for what will hopefully be definitive information on who the manufacturer was for the four vintage units listed below. I have rather exhaustively searched the internet on this topic and pretty much found the same non-answer for all four: "maybe it was either Cybernet, Uniden, or Hitachi."

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

JC Penney Pinto Mobile 23 Channel 1976

Sears Roadtalker Model No. 934-36772600 23 Channel SSB, Base / Mobile 1977

Lafayette Telsat 925 23 Channel Base 1975

Realistic Navaho TRC-30A 23 Channel Base 1976 [Radio Shack]
Welcome to the forum, Steve!
The Navaho TRC-30A was manufactured in Japan by Sanyo.

I found this in a comment section on a YouTube video about the TRC-30A

Here is the full comment:
bigmur0014 weeks ago
The Realistic Navaho TRC-30A was very common amongst my locals in Brooklyn during the CB craze of 1976. It was definitely a decent performing radio for it's price point, especially when used with a D-104 or a Turner Plus Three and a good antenna. I was using a Lafayette Comstat 35 and an older Realistic (TRC-49) Navaho Pro Niner during that era. I had the Realistic TRC-24C which is the mobile version of the TRC-30A. The Navaho TRC-23B & TRC-23C were both predecessors to the TRC-30A and were both manufactured by Hitachi. The Navaho TRC-23B was also a big seller and was also very common back in the early 70's. The Navaho TRC-30A was manufactured in Japan by Sanyo.

Hope this helps you out a little bit on your quest to learn about these four models.
-All The Best

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have two of the trc30a, one was my father's and one was my grandfather's. Right now they work but they sound like tin cans. I am hoping that recapping them will help. That jcp pinto sounds familiar. I will have to check my stash. Lol

Many thanks to everyone for all the help. A combination of the Youtube videos on these radios and assistance from Mike of Mike's Radio Repair has answered my question, confirming some of the info. given by your answers. It's odd that given how much internet text I read looking for these, it never occurred to me to check for videos. I'll give the final answers here in case anyone should ever need them.

First, I need to make note that I was wrong when I wrote that the Sears unit was a "Roadtalker," but the model number for the Sears was nevertheless correct. This unit was manufactured about two years before the Roadtalker series / label was introduced.

Sears Model No. 934-36772600 - Hitachi. 934 is the manufacturer code for them. The manufacturer code is the first 3 digits (before the decimal point) in Sears model/part numbers.

JC Penney Pinto Mobile 23 Channel 1976 - Cybernet.

Lafayette Telsat 925 23 Channel Base 1975 - Cybernet.

Realistic Navaho TRC-30A 23 Channel Base 1976 [Radio Shack] - Sanyo

Thanks again!

I really need the schematic for the sears 934.36772600 does anyone have it? I need to find out the value of q39 and all of the alignment information from the service manual, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.....

I really need the schematic for the sears 934.36772600 does anyone have it? I need to find out the value of q39 and all of the alignment information from the service manual, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.....

Sam's CB-152 has it.

You can grab a copy here for about $8 once you add in shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224684622850?hash=item34503f4402:g:bPoAAOSwD4Bhip7P

Or shop around, you might be able to find it cheaper. There's someone selling a copy of just the section on your radio for $15.00, but from their ad I now know that it's about 45 or 46 pages of info.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.