• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for mobile antenna under $50?

The original poster asked if there are other brands of antennas of the mag mount type other than the 'top three'.

Yes; there are. But did you ever ask your self what they aren't in that 'top three'?
Prolly because that didn't make 'the grade'.

A mag mount is a compromise of a solid mount antenna. But I've always been pleased with the mag mount antennas I use. So long as it is mounted on the top and in the middle they usually work very well.

A Sirio and Wilson are fine and I own and use them both - alternately.
Gave away the last K40 I had. Never tried a Lil Wil; but I did help a friend get his working. I think they work at the same level as a K40. The K40 is just OK; but the Sirio and the Wilson 1000 or 5000 are the real talents here - IMO.

As to your limit of $50 for an antenna, I would get a used Wilson 1000 or 5000. Because at that cash limit, you aren't going to get a fine antenna for new anyway . . .

Who sells Sirio antennas in this country?

H&Y Electronics is one i know of.

Tower dog, you may look into the hustler antenna's, some folks have had good luck with them as long as you don't try to run too much power, they are along the lines of the little will, maybe a bit better, but don't expect the performance of the bigger antennas mentioned above. Good luck hope this gives you another option to look at.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

click on products, then scroll down to cb antennas.

Last edited:
H&Y Electronics is one i know of.

Tower dog, you may look into the hustler antenna's, some folks have had good luck with them as long as you don't try to run too much power, they are along the lines of the little will, maybe a bit better, but don't expect the performance of the bigger antennas mentioned above. Good luck hope this gives you another option to look at.

New-Tronics Antenna Home Page

click on products, then scroll down to cb antennas.

Got a hustler, but I kinda screwed it up trying to get it to tune up on 10 meters, now it doesn't tune up on anything but it was alright for what it is/was, a small mag mount antenna.

Found what I was looking for, Larsen. Its 53" tall and about $25-$40, depending on with or without the spring.

Larsen NMO27C Low Band 27-30 MHz CB Antenna

It might be crap but hams seem to love it on 10 meters, and I think its what my old buddy used to run years ago on his 4x4.
I would think it be comparable to a K40, and once again, its NMO.

when did the wilson 1000 become a 5/8 antenna ?
i was of the impression there were not any true 5/8 wl mobile antennas on the cb band .

Ahem . . . Uhhhh . . . OK; I'll say it.

Any antenna shorter than 1/4 wave length that has a matching coil cannot become a 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4 wave length by adding a matching coil. Isn't that physically and electrically impossible? Aren't they the errant claims of irresponsible mfr's that like to baffle the uninformed with bull? A matching coil tunes the impedance of whatever length of whip is used so that the radio sees 50 ohms impedance; its ultimate function and goal.

There are no base load antennas that can perform better that a 1/4 steel whip. Even and especially if they are both mounted optimally. Base load antennas are a convenience that allows the antenna to be physically shorter and therefore easier to mount and use. Even the magnet itself is a compromise of ground; it works as a ground through 'capacitive coupling' rather than a real direct ground connection makes with a solid type mount. They are ultimately a compromise that works.

I use one. They work fine. But I would stay away from the shorter ones (the K30, 3 ft fiberglass, or 4 ft fiberglass), just because they have more compromises. As an example, the K30's can barely cover 40 channels with a usable SWR at the band edges (ch1 and ch 40 tend to have a high SWR). I went from a 5 1/2 ft Wilson 1000 to a 6 1/2 ft Sirio. There is better bandwidth as well as a greater/longer capture area for receive. But I would never claim that it is better than a 9 ft/108 in steel whip. But it is a fine compromise. Not that there is anything wrong with the Wilson either. It is a fine compromise too.

Them thar curly coily antenners work pretty nice too.
But if I were to use one of those antennas, I would be sure to get the one with the longest whip availble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio