• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for RCI-2950 / 70 / 90 channel drop out mod...

Tweek

Hushpuppy Jr in the Tarheel
Nov 10, 2013
Youngsville, NC
www.wb4iuy.net
Not sure what it's called, I've been searching with various syntax, but not finding it. I saw a mod somewhere for the RCI 2950 ilk that would stop the "drop out/muting" between channels as you spin the knob. Is anyone familiar with that mod?

i was probably the one who posted that, as i just did it to an old galaxy saturn turbo a while back, and that's the same board as the 2950.

i was informed after doing the mod by someone that i trust that the processor in the radio is too slow to take advantage of the mod and that spinning the knob too fast will cause you to miss signals.

i found this to be true to a point, but still found that the mute being removed was a significant improvement to how the radio operated before.

i was able to turn the knob faster than i could with the mute function enabled.

i can't seem to search for the thread because of the way the site is working today, and i don't remember which transistor it was that i removed.

see if you can find the thread i posted the mod in, or i'll try to find it once the forum is back up to snuff.
LC

Reactions: NZ8N
Thanks! I didn't know there was a forum problem, but I've not been real active on here until lately. I saw a mod to overclock the processor for increased scanning speed, wonder if that would help that issue...

I think getting rid of the mute would be a nice mod, it's a little annoying for the rx to constantly be muted as you turn the knob.

Dave

I pilled q36, man what a difference!! Much smoother and easier to listen to when spinning the vfo. Also found c89 & c90 backwards from the factory (bfo & if injection ratio)...SSB was kinda "irony" sounding...now sounds as clean as AM. Thanks for the tip on the mute transistor!

Reactions: loosecannon

Yeah, I saw a post about this and realized I've corrected this in a bunch of old Heathkit HW-101 rigs over the years. Sounds like an agc problem, but the bfo energy should be 3-5 times that of the I.F. level in the detector. A lot of HW-101's will be more like 1:1, and it makes SSB sound horrible and metallic, almost like an AGC problem. Increase the bfo injection level and it really cleans up the detected signal. The post I saw about the RCI rigs stated that C89 was supposed to be 5pf, c90 was 10pf...but they were reversed and the BFO level was too low. I checked mine, sure enough :)

Yeah, I saw a post about this and realized I've corrected this in a bunch of old Heathkit HW-101 rigs over the years. Sounds like an agc problem, but the bfo energy should be 3-5 times that of the I.F. level in the detector. A lot of HW-101's will be more like 1:1, and it makes SSB sound horrible and metallic, almost like an AGC problem. Increase the bfo injection level and it really cleans up the detected signal. The post I saw about the RCI rigs stated that C89 was supposed to be 5pf, c90 was 10pf...but they were reversed and the BFO level was too low. I checked mine, sure enough :)

tweek,

glad i could be of some help.
looks like you're no slouch when it comes to radio knowledge!

we can always use people around here that can answer questions and teach.
we also love it when people with experience post up the mods that they like to do.
hope to see you around soon!
LC

tweek,

glad i could be of some help.
looks like you're no slouch when it comes to radio knowledge!

we can always use people around here that can answer questions and teach.
we also love it when people with experience post up the mods that they like to do.
hope to see you around soon!
LC

Man, I'm loving this place!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.