• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Looking for recommendations for a tree mounted antenna

Not aluminum that you mentioned but in my area there are lots of A99’s in the trees. Some have been up for years and some have come down in storms...with or without the tree.

New I-MAX 2000’s have lost favor with lots of folks on the forum because of the manufacturer shortening the length and creating SWR issues.

I don’t have an antenna in a tree but have considered it. It would be an A99.

welcome to the forum (y)

If you choose any fiberglass antenna I would paint it with three or four coats of Krylon Plasti-Coat spray paint & a coupe of coats of clear coat as well.It will protect the fiberglass from drying out & coming apart from the suns rays & it will not harm the antenna.I know the Antron 99 gets a lot of negative feedback but I have Zero issues with mine & I talk all over the world with it at just 30ft to the bottom of the antenna.

SIX-SHOOTER

Tie the line around a screw clamp on the ferrule where the antenna top section screws together. Don't mash fiberglass, and may not have to use duct tape! I will probably end up using duct tape to re-enforce the clamp.

Clove hitch w/ half hitch to secure. Then every x amount you choose, throw a half hitch around antenna going up to top. Pulls straight up, old rigging trick. You could then use the Gorillia as backup in couple spots. Btm/ Top.

Good idea!

I think a screw clamp tightened around a ferule with the addition of duct tape, and it would hold good I think.

Alright. I finally got the Maco installed in that tree! SWR are 1.2 across all 40 which I glad as I had a fear that I'd have issues with it once up in the tree. BTW the swrs lowered just a little once the antenna was mounted in the tree. I used 120 foot of LMR 400 coax which I'll bury from the tree to the house.

Liking the performance of the Maco v 5/8. We had some rain today and a great deal of wind and it survived. lol IMG_20200329_194510394_HDR.jpg IMG_20200329_194510394_HDR-01.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.