1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Base Looking for recommendations for a tree mounted antenna

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Red Bull, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 Amarillo Tx Standing By

Ain't no trees up here in the panhandle either, we have mesquite trees but they're more like bushes if anything.

To the thread now, have you considered the tram 1498? It's done me really well on a pole mast.

Redbeard U812 likes this.

2. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

Never heard of the tram 1498.

3. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

Bought a 100ft spool of Jefa Tech low loss 400, some connectors, dielectric grease. Now gotta get a new spool of #10 grounding wire.

Almost there.

4. secret squirrel

secret squirrel Lustrous Potentate

This may be really redneck, but it worked. I hired a tree trimmer with climb rig- that cost 100.00. I had him climb as high as he could in a pine tree, big blue spruce, so he was up about 30 feet. Screwed a 2X10 piece into the tree. Then he mounted my A99 to the 2X10, and secured everything to the tree with ratchet cargo tie down straps. I looked neat, because the tree hid most of the A99- The top section was partly visible. I was very pleased. I had less than 1.3 SWR on a 40 with the tree rig. Hope the Idea helps someone. Redneck A99 tree rig.

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

Thanks @secret squirrel for your tree install story. Redneck or not, you gotta figure away to get it up there.

Placing a antenna on a mast in the backyard is a no go, the tree it is, for me.

6. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

This will be used for what purpose?

Road Squawker likes this.
  7. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

I'm going to ground the antenna mount. And probably the coax before it enters the shack.

S&W357 likes this.
  8. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

(J) Bonding of Electrodes. If a ground rod is installed to serve as the grounding electrode for the radio and television equipment, it must be bonded to the building’s power grounding electrode system with a minimum 6 AWG conductor. } See Figure 810–16

Attached Files:

Redbeard U812 and Red Bull like this.
  9. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

The tree is within the 150 ft of the zone of protection

The gear is using the house ground rod, and the coax feed will be grounded at the entry point to the house and connected to the house ground.

The antenna is grounded with it's own ground rod at the base of the tree.

10. Red Bull

Red Bull Member

I ended up going with a Maco v5/8 antenna. It will replace the old antenna in the pine tree, as soon as I can find someone to climb it.

11. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Sold out all over.

12. snippits75

snippits75 Active Member

Guys around here are suspending Antron 99 antennas in trees...kind of like how one would raise a dipole. No climbing involved.

Could only get a vague description on how it was being done. Finally, I got schooled on how to do it. They are using two ropes. Attach one rope about 3/4 the way up the antenna. He said he ties a rope to the antenna, and then secures it with 200 mph duct tape.

Install a mast clamp or screw clamp on the bottom of the antenna, and tie a rope to it. Pull the antenna up via the top rope, and then secure the rope on the ground. Then use the rope on the bottom to adjust the antenna vertical. Then secure the bottom rope to the ground.

Can let the antenna down to change duct tape, check coax, and etc. when ever you need to. Hardest part for me is getting the rope around the limb I choose to suspend it from.

S&W357 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  13. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Tie a big crescent wrench to the cord and twirl it around and let it fly. Takes a few times to get it.

snippits75 and S&W357 like this.
  14. KneeBiter

KneeBiter Active Member

You had me until the word duct tape.

15. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 / 2NC556 $upporting Member

Gorilla Tape seems to stay and stay and stay and stay.