• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For Some Feedback On Two Amps

And people wonder why the 10 meter band & other HF bands have so many wide signals.When we as Hams don't care about the dirty amplifiers & junk modified Export CB radios on the 10 meter band & use of those crappy illegal CB amplifiers on other bands or the rules it's no wonder it sounds & looks more & more like 11 meters every day.If you use this gear on the Ham bands then you are part of the problem & not the solution & I can tell to you it's about being CHEAP & the heck with what the RULES or LAWS of the Land say.Some people just can't afford the hobby with legal gear & could care less about someone else putting up with their trashy signals as long as they are having fun they don't care.Sounds like you don't it? Buy cheap & make lots of noise is all you care about because there is no pride in that shack or cares about being legal when on the air becuse it's all about you & doing it your way!

You would be a hit over on QRZ.com along with all the others that simple bash something before they REALLY know about it. The RM series amps are NOT illegal to run on 10m for starters and when PROPERLY driven they can be as clean as the exciter driving it. W8JI had a nice report on one and even gave it a thumbs up IF it was operated within design spec and not necessarily at what RM claimed it could be operated at. Considering he designed virtually every amp Ameritron makes he probably knows what he is talking about.As far as wide signals, if the amp is class AB, which the RM amp is, it will be no wider that the exciter if driven properly.There are a LOT of wide signals on the bands today from Kenwoods, Yaesus, and Icoms, either from fools running wide open filters in the transmitter or from not knowing how to properly operate a transmitter and driving the piss out of it with the mic gain cranked up and the compression at max driving a perfectly legal Ameritron or even an Alpha amplifier.

I see no reason not to use what you can afford ( Run what ya Brung)! Not every one has a pile of cash to buy the uber rig, antenna sys ect. Me I'll talk to anyone regardless of their signal quality. There are those who have that holier than thou part 95 spouting I'm calling Uncle Charlie attitudes. I feel sorry for them I really do but I have traffic for them, That fancy rig has a Button or Knob that says power I suggest that if things get unbearable you make use of it. I'll keep right on running my Magnum 257 and Palamor 250 on my homebrew dipole made from old Rusty Barbed wire and reclaimed irrigation piping. 73's From KF5AQH QRU

Last edited:
I agree, I run one of the Texas Star amps on ten and twelve meters and have done so for years, a 500 model with 4 2879s in it and it works very well if you keep the drive down and limit the peak output to about 350 watts.
I am also currently running a President Lincoln radio (export) on ten meters and it works great, I get many complements on my signal and have a lot of fun.
Same thing with the RCI 2950DX and RCI 6900F25 that I had in the truck before the Lincoln.
Blame the operators that do not properly run there equipment, not the radios or amps.
And this is as old as the dinosaurs but export radios are as legal as ice cream for a Ham to use on the bands he/she is licensed for, one of the guys here called the FCC and asked point blank.
The answer was yes they are legal to use.
I can even dig up the phone number and the case number from the FCC if necessary, or you can call and ask the same question.
The FCC has admitted in court that many of the (ohh god) 10/12 meter radios being sold are legal out of the box.
And PLEASE do not post anything about the now infamous "list" of Banned radios that was all over the net that was written by a field agent that was confused as to what he was writing.
Again, The FCC admitted in court that there is no such list.
We have been over this subject many many times.
Sometimes you have to research these things and find out the truth for-yourself and not rely on stuff posted all over the net.
I find it funny that a popular internet forum still says the HR 2510 is a banned radio, I bought my first one from AES when they were selling them.....

Jeff

AGAIN more ILLEGAL CB JUNK.I can see that following the LAW or FCC Rules is out of the question for so many on this site.Just a bunch who should have stayed on the FREE BANDS & did what you wanted & stayed far away from Ham Radio where we are SUPPOSE to set an example & your examples are that the Law does not apply to you.All of those amps & radios are not type accepted for good reason.Don't waste my time calling me on the air with that crap gear & we will both be happy.Makes no difference who made the list of banned gear because it's something you care nothing about & it's called THE LAW! Leave the CB crap on the CB bands & far away from the Ham Bands & do everyone a favor & try following the Rules for once in your life & have some PRIDE & I'm not talking about a PRIDE CB amp either! If you don't like the Rules or the Law then move somewhere that it's legal.Bet you have an echo microphone,Reverb, & a Roger Beep as well looking at your list of gear that you are so proud of. What a disgrace to ham radio.

Last edited:
I see no reason not to use what you can afford ( Run what ya Brung)! Not every one has a pile of cash to buy the uber rig, antenna sys ect. Me I'll talk to anyone regardless of their signal quality. There are those who have that holier than thou part 95 spouting I'm calling Uncle Charlie attitudes. I feel sorry for them I really do but I have traffic for them, That fancy rig has a Button or Knob that says power I suggest that if things get unbearable you make use of it. I'll keep right on running my Magnum 257 and Palamor 250 on my homebrew dipole made from old Rusty Barbed wire and reclaimed irrigation piping. 73's From KF5AQH QRU

Typical CB mentality.All of that junk gear that if you had of spent the same money you could have purchased a LEGAL Ham Radio.Not shocked since you just can't take the CB out of so many!

You would be a hit over on QRZ.com along with all the others that simple bash something before they REALLY know about it. The RM series amps are NOT illegal to run on 10m for starters and when PROPERLY driven they can be as clean as the exciter driving it. W8JI had a nice report on one and even gave it a thumbs up IF it was operated within design spec and not necessarily at what RM claimed it could be operated at. Considering he designed virtually every amp Ameritron makes he probably knows what he is talking about.As far as wide signals, if the amp is class AB, which the RM amp is, it will be no wider that the exciter if driven properly.There are a LOT of wide signals on the bands today from Kenwoods, Yaesus, and Icoms, either from fools running wide open filters in the transmitter or from not knowing how to properly operate a transmitter and driving the piss out of it with the mic gain cranked up and the compression at max driving a perfectly legal Ameritron or even an Alpha amplifier.

Well show me a list from the FCC where RM Italy is on the APPROVED list.It does not exist but I know you already know that.Some people just can't afford some hobbies so they will run whatever junk they can find on the web or at their local CB shop & make excuses.QUALITY does have it's price but for good reason.It's one of those cases where you get what you pay for!

Yep I will say it's a broad group here for sure, there are many plain jane operators here that talk on 11 meters as well as the ham bands. It's different strokes for different folks, but we all get along. Sure there is some disagreement, but if we all agreed all the time things would get boring real fast lol. Have a good one and hang out for a while, there is always something new to learn, age makes no difference! God bless

I also talk on 11 meters but I don't put any of that gear on the Ham Radio bands.I don't use extra channels or amps on 11 meters.If I want to run power I have a Kilowatt on HF & 6 meters with my ICOM PW-1.Just can't see why people want to drag Ham Radio to what the 11 meter band has become & think the FCC Rules are not pertaining to them?

Sixshooter...In reading you posts I see that you are one of the few people on this earth that does everything in life at a
100% legal level. So you claim. I doubt it.

You will not have to be concerned about me being on 10 meters and bothering you at all. At age 67, now that I have time and means to to get a Ham Ticket I would not have one.

Why?

Because for every helpful and friendly person I have met or read a post from, on this forum and other forums, there are enough taking up bandwidth with a holier than thou attitude wanting to stress their hubris ego, that I would not what to be classified with them. 99.9%with this attitude claim to have a Ham Ticket. It must be contagious.
Thank God not all Hams have been infected.

I can only imagine the same thing showing on every broadcast they make.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

I still enjoy other aspects of the broadcast hobby and the
knowledge shared by others. The collective and individual knowledge shown here is amazing. This is really a giant step forward from the late 1960's when I first became interested.

Have a great day and remember Happiness is a lifestyle.

If you really a ham as you say then you also know that we don't BROADCAST on Ham Radio.Broadcasting is a ONE WAY communications such as used in FM radio stations.I was a Law Enforcement Officer here in Florida for 30 years before I retired & I take the Laws of the Land VERY seriously.If you can't follow the rules then get out of the hobby & do something else.I wish the FCC had the ability to find everyone who is violating the rules knowingly so they could remove them from the hobby.The bands would be much better off without them & if you are included in those then so be it.I have no understanding for those who know the law yet think it's OK just to ignore them & do as they well please because they don't agree.The Law is just that the LAW!

Class C "CB amps" work great on CW and data. People just get all uppity when they hear about these amps. Edumacate yourself, then you won't miss out.

I don't need the trash when I run one of the best ever made already.Oh & YES it's LEGAL on all of the Ham radio Bands for which it was built & designed & is type accepted.You should try one though they do for sure cost more than any of those CB amps they are much cleaner as well.QUALITY is worth doing it right.

I don't need the trash when I run one of the best ever made already.
Somebody got new gear I see, too bad eham rates it so poorly, but it's certainly made you feel like top dog. I wonder how those homebrew amps and transmitters get type accepted?

Well show me a list from the FCC where RM Italy is on the APPROVED list.It does not exist but I know you already know that.Some people just can't afford some hobbies so they will run whatever junk they can find on the web or at their local CB shop & make excuses.QUALITY does have it's price but for good reason.It's one of those cases where you get what you pay for!

I have a home made amplifier and it isn't on "the approved list" either. You as a licensed amateur should know that you do NOT need any FCC approval or certification for your equipment. Believe it or not even those "10m" export radios are legal for use on the ham bands as long as they meet spectral purity requirements. Forget all that bullshit about an FCC "banned radio" list. Nothing is banned from the amateur bands as long as it meets spectral purity requirements. Commercial manufacturers do need certification to build and market their goods HOWEVER an operator can operate anything with or without any such "approval" or certification. Why do you think amateurs can build and maintain their own transmitter equipment?

If you really a ham as you say then you also know that we don't BROADCAST on Ham Radio.Broadcasting is a ONE WAY communications such as used in FM radio stations.I was a Law Enforcement Officer here in Florida for 30 years before I retired & I take the Laws of the Land VERY seriously.If you can't follow the rules then get out of the hobby & do something else.I wish the FCC had the ability to find everyone who is violating the rules knowingly so they could remove them from the hobby.The bands would be much better off without them & if you are included in those then so be it.I have no understanding for those who know the law yet think it's OK just to ignore them & do as they well please because they don't agree.The Law is just that the LAW!

You are right, the LAW is the LAW but it's just too bad that you have NO IDEA WHAT THE LAW ACTUALLY SAYS. You only interpret it as YOU see fit.

Reactions: binrat
So the amplifier being Type Accepted & Legal for use in the United States on any band was never an issue I guess? Having type acceptance has it's cost associated with it but so does being fined for running an illegal piece of gear & knowing better.

A piece of gear by itself is not illegal. Improper operation of that piece of gear may be illegal depending on how it is operated and the spurious emissions it may produce. You REALLY need to actually learn what the FCC has to say about equipment that is operated on the amateur bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.