• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For Some Feedback On Two Amps

SamF said: "Funny how it suddenly doesn't sound as good when they find out it's a "cheap brand". Point is... If it does the job and sounds good, then use it."

True.

I believe part of the problem is the OLD mentality of "if it is not expensive, it is not quality". That may have been true before WWII. However with modern manufacturing techniques, that changed. Truth be known, many different brads are made in the same factory all sourcing parts form the same suppliers. No one builds anything form all in-house made parts any more.

I also had an interesting conversation with a physiologist once in talking about a nursing home resident. In my conversation I asked why the extreme
personality traits as people get OLDER.

He said it was his observation that however a person acted at a young age, they would revert back to that trait at an intensified level, when they are older. Even if they were different in middle age.

The examples he gave were a real friendly, loving child would be a friendly, easy going person as a senior citizen. If the child was possessive, assertive then he would be a crumudgeon old person.

So we have the old mentality that was thought that quality has be costly and the mental capacity reverting back to childhood.

I think that we can add in a perceived insult, because without spending a lot the cheaper units are indistinguishable form the high priced one, in many cases.

It is like back in the day, a '56 T-bird being beaten by a Hot Rod!

Mudfoot,
Lets us know what you think to that evil amp. :D

The earlier posts sounds like someone is more of an operator than not. Only remembering what was needed to pass his test and that's all. Six Shooter would have had a fit if he saw what I did with one of those "CB" C class amps. :D Needless to say, it would not fit into its original box.

The amp works great. It receives good reports on both SSB and CW. I have only tested it on 10, 17, 20, 30, 40 and 80 meters. I had one of these before and sold it like an idiot.
The last one had fans, but I ordered this one without cause they were to loud. I got a 4" whisper fan that works good on this one. I've yet to drive it over 100 watts on SSB. I have it around 125 watts on CW.

The amp works great. It receives good reports on both SSB and CW. I have only tested it on 10, 17, 20, 30, 40 and 80 meters. I had one of these before and sold it like an idiot.
The last one had fans, but I ordered this one without cause they were to loud. I got a 4" whisper fan that works good on this one. I've yet to drive it over 100 watts on SSB. I have it around 125 watts on CW.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jeff

The last FLEX 1500 I had suffered from the dreaded CW sidetone latency. I really liked the unit, but boy, did that bother me, so off it went. A few weeks ago, I was reading where they corrected the latency issues. I went ahead and bought another one, sure enough, it works CW like a champ. I wanted to get a FLEX 3000, but it still use Firewire and my tiny desktop doesn't have Firewire ability. Maybe one day, I can get a 5000 or higher FLEX.

My current desktop is much more capable than the laptop I had when I got my first FLEX, so maybe that helps with any latency issues. Currently, I'm using an Lenovo M73 Tiny Desktop. It has an Core i5 Haswell processor with 16 gigs of memory. It's mounted on the back of my El Cheapo 20 AOC LED monitor. Takes up little desk space and seems to work really well.

I like dials and knobs, but I really like this little FLEX 1500. It's just AWESOME!, lol.

Last edited:
A little over a week ago DX was really kicking from TX to the North East. Had a short conversation on 38 LSB. After a few minutes I was asked "What radio are you running? It sounds great!" When I said Uniden 980 and RM Italy KL-503 he said "Oh". Then he was gone.

Funny how it suddenly doesn't sound as good when they find out it's a "cheap brand". Point is... If it does the job and sounds good, then use it.

I've told a similar story a few times: When I first got my General license, I couldn't afford much (was going through a nasty divorce). So, I made my first HF rig a Titan Roadpro 10 meter rig in my mobile. 10 meters was open a lot that year and I had a blast, but I often found others "hanging up" on me when I told them what radio I was running. One day a guy on the other end asked if I was running a Kenwood because he said it sounded like "Kenwood Audio". From that day forward, I told everyone I was running a Kenwood and noone ever dropped the QSO. Sad, funny, and 100% true.

Reactions: 222DBFL and binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.