• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looks like this guy caught a little break...Fine reduced

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
http://www.arrl.org/news/denying-permission-for-fcc-station-inspection-nets-florida-cber-a-3000-fine

Looks like this guy caught a little break. He had his fine dropped down to $3000 from the original $14,000 due to his in-ability to pay which he apparently proved with his income statements. But if you are on low income, $3000 is a lot of money. Do you think this guy will learn his lesson???

I wasn't aware the FCC was kind hearted especially to ignorant and arrogant CB operators who thumb their nose at the rules then beg for mercy when they caught. He could have avoided all of this by being more respectful to his neighbors since he was causing interference to their electronic devices and didn't try to rectify the interference he was causing.

May be in this case he was better off to deny FCC agents an inspection of his radio equipment. My suspicion on this was that he was probably running illegal equipment and that could impose expensive fines, however the original $14,000 probably would have been more of fine than having illegal amplifiers in his possession if that's all he was trying to hide.

Here is a refresher course posted below on rules regarding CB's and amplifiers for you people wanting to argue the facts. The rules are clear with no gray area. If you have an argument, I would advise you call your nearest regional FCC office to dispute. After all, they are public officials and part of their job is to respond to the public.

Notice the bold larger highlights in paragraph C about having a amp in your possession. Also notice that paragraph C doesn't apply if you have a license. Doesn't mean you can run it on a CB radio, but at least you can have it in your possession as long as it isn't attached to a "certificated CB transmitter in any way".

§95.411 (CB Rule 11) power amplifiers
(a) You may not attach the following items (power amplifiers) to your certificated CB transmitter in any way:

(1) External radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers (sometimes called linears or linear amplifiers); or

(2) Any other devices which, when used with a radio transmitter as a signal source, are capable of amplifying the signal.

(b) There are no exceptions to this rule and use of a power amplifier voids your authority to operate the station.

(c) The FCC will presume you have used a linear or other external RF power amplifier if—

(1) It is in your possession or on your premises; and

(2) There is other evidence that you have operated your CB station with more power than allowed by CB Rule 10, §95.410.

(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply if you hold a license in another radio service which allows you to operate an external RF power amplifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwilkers

Uncle Charles said it best.

“Misconduct of this type is serious, exhibits contempt for the Commission’s authority, and threatens to compromise the Commission’s ability to fully investigate violations of its rules,”

I believe the original charges were him not allowing inspection of his station. Along with some other violations I'm sure. Darn cb'ers lol! It's not all of us. Promise!!

Good luck collecting.
They have been trying to get a fine out of Ira Jones for years now for not letting them inspect his station, he is still broadcasting live on 27.165 daily.
Two field agents showed up with local law enforcement the last time and he told them to F-Off.
I understand they left the enforcement letter sitting on his front porch.......

Jeff

The best advise here is to make sure your station isn't causing interference to keep your neighbors from complaining to the FCC in the first place. If you get neighbors complaining to you, don't be a big bully wise guy, take the necessary steps to resolve it by checking your station that it is of good design and has TVI filters. Also make sure your radio isn't transmitting excessive harmonics and such and offer advice or even offer to help your neighbors with RF proofing their electronics that are being interfered with.

This is the same advice the FCC expects even from licensed stations to keep the peace with your neighbors.

Good luck collecting.
They have been trying to get a fine out of Ira Jones for years now for not letting them inspect his station, he is still broadcasting live on 27.165 daily.
Two field agents showed up with local law enforcement the last time and he told them to F-Off.
I understand they left the enforcement letter sitting on his front porch.......

Jeff

Sounds to me you support that kind of attitude and disregard to the laws of our country.

Offer the advice to the neighbors. Maybe even provide them with proper filters. But DO NOT touch the TV, stereo or whatever it is. If you do, and anything EVER happens to the item, it'll be YOUR fault.

I believe the original charges were him not allowing inspection of his station. Along with some other violations I'm sure. Darn cb'ers lol! It's not all of us. Promise!!

strike 1 Salter had previously received a Notice of Violation for refusing an inspection request in 2004,
strike 2 ...the Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the case noted,

strike 3 ...and he also had been fined for operating with a non-certificated transmitter

strike 4 ...during restricted hours the Commission had imposed

strike 5 ...following similar interference complaints.

I was pointing out that the FCC has a very poor track record of enforcing rules that are on the books.
Ira Jones Caught the attention of the FCC because he lives near a Fire Station and was causing interference to Public Safety frequencies.
It took them YEARS to bring ( should i say attempt) enforcement to this guy.
And He is still on the air YEARS later.
The City gave up and updated and revised their radio system at the firehouse and solved the interference problem on their own.

The guy was given ample warning to resolve the problem on his own before enforcement action was taken but he ignored and disregarded warnings and continued on.
Users that endanger public safety with no regard should be dealt with quickly if they refuse to solve the problem on their own.

I also think (imo) that the FCC needs to get its act together and change many if it`s outdated rules regarding the 27 Mhz CB band.
It is not 1975 anymore, and the band has grown into a hobby band regardless of what it started out to be.
The government agencies are supposed to work FOR the people of the united states.
Many of them no longer listen to the people.

Jeff

Reactions: 222DBFL
i think that is a good point, i am not an american, and the rules dont affect me, i have a 3 element maco tuned to the cb band and dont even have a working cb, i prefer ham radio but having said that, i think there would be alot more success trying to build compliant amplifiers and enforcing that, than the false notion of eradicating them.

I was pointing out that the FCC has a very poor track record of enforcing rules that are on the books.
Ira Jones Caught the attention of the FCC because he lives near a Fire Station and was causing interference to Public Safety frequencies.
It took them YEARS to bring ( should i say attempt) enforcement to this guy.
And He is still on the air YEARS later.
The City gave up and updated and revised their radio system at the firehouse and solved the interference problem on their own.

The guy was given ample warning to resolve the problem on his own before enforcement action was taken but he ignored and disregarded warnings and continued on.
Users that endanger public safety with no regard should be dealt with quickly if they refuse to solve the problem on their own.

I also think (imo) that the FCC needs to get its act together and change many if it`s outdated rules regarding the 27 Mhz CB band.
It is not 1975 anymore, and the band has grown into a hobby band regardless of what it started out to be.
The government agencies are supposed to work FOR the people of the united states.
Many of them no longer listen to the people.

Jeff

Good points...

Problem is look how things are now. A lot of the CB crowd you hear haven't any regard for current rules now regardless if they are outdated, Why would it change if power level increases and frequency expansion was adopted for CB bands? The old adage would still apply, " give him and inch and he will take a mile".

How many CB ops brag about running more power than the legal limit we Hams can run? How many people run modulation limiter clipped radios because it makes you sound " bodacious" ? and how many people free-band and even make illegal contacts on repeaters?

While it is a hobby, mostly of what I hear on a daily basis is local agitators who have nothing better to do but try to dominate the town with their big radio and can't wait for someone to say something, especially if it is a truck driver, and cut them down with the same old trash talk I been hearing for over 30 years .

In "skipland" I hear plenty of the same along with noise makers, roger beeps, and just a whole bunch of monolog transmissions hogging up the airwaves sometimes to the point where local communication is impossible.

SSB? On 37-39 all I hear is 300 stations talking on top of each other and only hoping to make a contact.

Kind of hard to have any credibility when you can turn on your CB 7 days a week and hear this same old stuff over and over. I know there are some Ham guys that are bad, but it is few and far between and it's usually limited to certain frequencies.

If you do want change, don't expect to sit back and wait for our Government to do it. Start a grass roots movement and get a petition started and if your lucky , get a Government representative on board. That's how many people have been able to lobby their own special interests and bring about change. You already have a strong base in this forum. You just need a leader which nobody seems to want to be.

If you can turn it into a respectful hobby where people can enjoy communicating to each other without having the " Big Maul " put on them by the village idiot, you might have a chance.

The FCC wasn't being nice. In the U.S., inability to pay raises due process and equal protection issues under the Constitution. The F.C.C. were smart enough to see the issue and do what they had to do to impose a fine that would survive these challenges.

The CB world described in some of these posts is far different from mine down here in the lower Florida Keys. We just don't have much 11 meter CB band traffic. It is mostly just truckers or tourists looking for directions. Others among us use the CBs for house to boat communications. The obnoxious stuff some of you describe can be heard when the skip rolls in.

C.B as a hobby band would be fine. We used it to introduce some Boy Scouts to two way radio communications. I'm not sure we could have done that with some of the 11 meter CB band radio traffic that goes on in some of the big cities.

I'd just like to see the F.C.C. make some effort to clean up nonsense on the band. Bust a few bad apples, get the word out and the overwhelming majority of the rest will fall in line.

Good points...

Problem is look how things are now. A lot of the CB crowd you hear haven't any regard for current rules now regardless if they are outdated, Why would it change if power level increases and frequency expansion was adopted for CB bands? The old adage would still apply, " give him and inch and he will take a mile".

How many CB ops brag about running more power than the legal limit we Hams can run? How many people run modulation limiter clipped radios because it makes you sound " bodacious" ? and how many people free-band and even make illegal contacts on repeaters?

While it is a hobby, mostly of what I hear on a daily basis is local agitators who have nothing better to do but try to dominate the town with their big radio and can't wait for someone to say something, especially if it is a truck driver, and cut them down with the same old trash talk I been hearing for over 30 years .

In "skipland" I hear plenty of the same along with noise makers, roger beeps, and just a whole bunch of monolog transmissions hogging up the airwaves sometimes to the point where local communication is impossible.

SSB? On 37-39 all I hear is 300 stations talking on top of each other and only hoping to make a contact.

Kind of hard to have any credibility when you can turn on your CB 7 days a week and hear this same old stuff over and over. I know there are some Ham guys that are bad, but it is few and far between and it's usually limited to certain frequencies.

If you do want change, don't expect to sit back and wait for our Government to do it. Start a grass roots movement and get a petition started and if your lucky , get a Government representative on board. That's how many people have been able to lobby their own special interests and bring about change. You already have a strong base in this forum. You just need a leader which nobody seems to want to be.

If you can turn it into a respectful hobby where people can enjoy communicating to each other without having the " Big Maul " put on them by the village idiot, you might have a chance.

Seen 3cx20000 run on 80. Please.

Seen 3cx20000 run on 80. Please.

Seen or heard? Sounds like a modified Henry amp.

The amp is legal to use and have in possesion at a licensed amateur station, the same doesn't apply for the village idiot CBer.… it's up to the licensed operator to use it within legal power levels of his license class.

The ones that do operate within the rules surely out number the ones who don't

Big difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.