• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loose wire in Cobra 135 XLR.

El Kabong

Say what?
Apr 11, 2018
Lost Angeles, CA.
Howdy. I asked this on FB but thought I'd try here where the experts dwell.

When looking in my newish Cobra 135 XLR I noticed a disconnected wire in the power supply area. This radio has a very dim display so I hoped that was the cause. Nope. Grounded it with no improvement. The radio is virgin and has a few issues. Dim display, dead channels 1 and 2 and very poor sensitivity. The usual assortment for an old radio in need of a recap.

So, does anyone know where the mystery black wire is supposed to attach? I'll fix that then move on to the other things.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20200123_100803.jpg
    20200123_100803.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

El Kabong,
Your picture shows the free end of a black under what looks like the fuse holder. Where does the other end of the black wire go?
There is a good schematic on CBTricks that should be helpful in following the location of the wire in question.

Good luck

David

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
A schematic wont tell me where the little black wire goes if I dont know where it came from. Look at the picture. That's why I asked a 135 XLR owner for help. I'd have to tear half the power supply out to just see in there.

Howdy. I asked this on FB but thought I'd try here where the experts dwell.

When looking in my newish Cobra 135 XLR I noticed a disconnected wire in the power supply area. This radio has a very dim display so I hoped that was the cause. Nope. Grounded it with no improvement. The radio is virgin and has a few issues. Dim display, dead channels 1 and 2 and very poor sensitivity. The usual assortment for an old radio in need of a recap.

So, does anyone know where the mystery black wire is supposed to attach? I'll fix that then move on to the other things.

Thanks guys!

It has been many years since I owned one of those radios but I recall the soldering to have been much better in it.That one looks like a blind guy did the soldering.Also that wire was Cut & did not come unsoldered.I don't see it as a virgin radio since I don't think that the wire would have been left not being stripped of the insulation & then tinned & not attached to something.I would trace the wire & see where the other end goes since it's very difficult seeing that in the picture?

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Woody-202 and Dmans
There is a hole in the chassis to the right of what I presume to be the fuse holder in your picture. Perhaps a previous owner had an auxiliary switch in the rear of the chassis for something at one time??

David

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
The fuse holder is the big black thing to the side
The little black wire does head toward that hole I admit. But it's too short to get there. Besides the mystery wire there are no obvious signs of alterations. Still had the stock wheat light bulbs.

I don't own one but I did work on some...

That "hole" is not standard...
135XLRBindingPost.jpg

Glad you asked, because it does use a cap to tame RF noise to FRAME / CHASSIS ground to EARTH ground (Coax SO-239) - bonded from lug binding post to fuse holders pinch to case.

More than likely it was for routing of power to or from the power supply and or amp. The 135XLR used a SOLID rear panel - power cord was a jig - keyed to work one way with adapter for DC power.

So more than likely it was a negative lead to a power relay remote for Amp or part of their effort to build in a power supply backup/recovery. Note the "dimpled rivets" - center panel - Power supply input wiring from the 120V cord and aux battery 13.8VDC bracket stuff is to your left.
135XLRrearPanel.jpg

Hope this helps!

Reactions: El Kabong
The fuse holder is the big black thing to the side
The little black wire does head toward that hole I admit. But it's too short to get there. Besides the mystery wire there are no obvious signs of alterations. Still had the stock wheat light bulbs.

It is to short because it's obvious that it was Cut Off looking at the end of the wire which has insulation on it & is not stripped back & tinned so it could be soldered to something.
Without seeing on the board where the other end goes all we can all do is guess where it comes from.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated