• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loudest Export radio out today?

The loudest radio? The one with the most limiters cut out of it.

Face it, ANY "loud" export that has in your face audio, has at least one limiter removed (TR32, TR57, R249, R246 in the common 3600 board). Then, you hang a 1N4001 diode off the back or in series with the resistor for the swing mod. You control the "loudness/dirtiness/bleeding" via the Mic. Gain knob.

Purchase a General Lee from Sparky's CB Shack. Pop the "warranty" stickers off and you will find a trace cut on TR57. That is your "loud." He does a good job aligning the radio, but he could have just opened the VR's up all they way and got the same effect. Plus, the radio has virtually zilch for average power. You are basically riding the deadkey with tons of splatter. He could at least do the diode swing mod. It costs what, $0.05 for a diode? He is there cutting a trace, he could at least solder on a diode and bring your average power up out of the mud.

I just worked on a friends Bi-polar General Lee (2312s instead of 520s). Did the diode swing mod and adjusted deadkeys back down to a normal level, 2 low and 6 high. 2 watts was averaging 14 watts and 35 clean(ish) watts, 50 dirty watts. 6 watts was averaging 20 watts and 38ish clean(ish) watts, 50 dirty watts. I replaced TR32 to see if it would clean the audio up a bit. It lost some average power, now does 10-11 average on low and 15-16 on high. Still overmodulating as the VRs are opened up but not near as "raspy" as it was and still sounds "loud." Backing the mic. gain off did take some "loud" away but does clean the signal up.

The 3600 board does not need hacking to be loud. Leave the limiters in, add the diode swing mod and adjust VR's either fully open or close to it.

This "loud" and "swing" stuff has gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand. There are only so many mods for the 3600 board, NOBODY has reinvented the wheel for this chassis. This business of being loud and clean is PURE and ABSOLUTE BULL FECES. You can not have loud in your face audio and be clean, no way, NONE. If it is LOUD, a limiter is gone or the modulation VRs are opened up.

/rant

10-4 dude, well said

4300-300 is the loudest AM radio on the market today.

especially with 2879 in it. It will cost you though.

That radio only has average audio at an absurd price. I am not a fan of export radios in the slightest..........new cbers are brainwashed into thinking you got to have one to be loud.

That radio only has average audio at an absurd price. I am not a fan of export radios in the slightest..........new cbers are brainwashed into thinking you got to have one to be loud.

while exports can be tuned to be loud, you are absolutely right. Cobra 29's can still be tuned to sound better than the rest of 'em. or a Galaxy 929, Uniden 78....all can be tuned to have loud audio

Gee...

How long has it been since this question was asked..
I suppose it will be asked and re-asked for the rest of time..

Anyways ....

Loud and proud...
Are you trying to destroy the airways around your area (bleeding) ?
or
Are you trying to run Excellent skip ?

To be loud to where all your neighbors for a couple miles around will curse you out..then for mobile it is likely 2970 DX or 2995 (base) either way using D104 Base Power Mike..

Now..
If you are looking to get out all over the country and the world.
Then i suggest 706 MKIIG or IC-7000

Either way..
It is not the radio that is the Most Impotent ..

The Antenna and feedline is Most Important ... Then Location .. Only then Radio .. followed by Mike

I used to swear by the export radios (used them for decades)
However is no way to compare a True HF ham radio rig (regardless if is Icom,Yaesu,Kenwood,Alinco or Tentec ..
( oh and to work them yo have to hear them .. true HF radios are far superior in hearing .. far better ears )

A true HF ham rig Destroys those 10 meter/export radios
Both in getting out (and being heard .. the world over) and in not bleeding all over the place with your neighbors

Anyways.... That's my 2 pennies

Why does it have to be an export to be the loudest, do you want the loudest radio or do you want an export? I have guys giving me exports to sell for them since the new cobra 29 they got from me is louder than their export is now, so, which are you actually looking for?

My Connex 4600 Turbo P&T. LOUD AND PROUD! heh.

50 dead, 200 forward swing. Clean audio reports.. AMC is intact. No splatter to be reported. I have never had a bad report.

I have always used Cobra's and Unidens.. Even had a Galaxy 66v. None of them compares to this 4600. I love it.

When I bought my OmegaForce, I was buying it for all the features that it had as well as being able to be a decently loud radio. I feel I got much more than that. I had a chance to hear my radio station from a distance - boy was I pleasantly surprised. Thing has got it all going for it...

wow , 2 years later ..........................................

i dont care about loud anymore . IMO most any half way decent or better radio can talk pretty effectivly with a decent tech setting it up . not saying at all that some dont do better than others , but i think the loud thing is way over blown and many time leads to so much over modulation that i cant understand what the heck folks are saying . but thier other over modulated buddy tell them they are fine . those are usually the guys that say somethig 3 or 4 or 5 times everytime they key up , but that does help to sorta catch enough of what they are saying to figgure out the rest . hehehehe
ears,recieve,rx is what matter to me now .
of course either is useless without a good antenna system .

Get a ticket.

Really. If the CB thing is not fun, be a ham. HF phone is nice, almost all SSB. VHF/UHF FM is pretty clear as well.

Yes, by all means, get a ticket!

Enjoy spending lots of money on radios and antennas. Enjoy talking about how much you spent and how well your new antenna works. Enjoy all the procedures that are involved in making contact. Enjoy all the repetitive babble that goes on about nothing more than spending more money for more ability. :headbang

11 meters has its purpose. to Booty Monster, I could give a shit about "Loud & Proud" too. My radio does not over modulate. It does not splatter across other channels. The AMC circuit is infact intact. I do not repeat what I say like those MORONS that seem to have no life outside 11 meters. What does matter to me though is being able to communicate with the wife back home when I'm out with friends on the trails and have no cell phone signal. Power does indeed come in handy then.

90% of the time my radios RF power is turned fully counter clockwise. I use it as a counter measure on the freeways to avoid tickets when I'm running late for work.

Amateur radio while serving a purpose during times of crisis is nothing more than an over glorified money pit any other time.

Just my 2 cents. My flame suit is coming out of storage for this one...but I doubt I'll need it, as most here probably wont bother responding to my "ignorance".

Thanks.

Exitherteen, I will agree them silver face president Jackson's are a special radio. Have the dead key set at 5-6 watts and let it swing. I had one years ago and wish I would have never sold it, wasn't into ssb back then but if I knew now what I had back then, Man I kick myself in the rear for getting rid of mine lol. What about the RCI-FFC4, rhey are supposed to put out 400 watts.
uguqesar.jpg

I would also put on the list the following:
RCI2970, magnum257hp, stryker955hp, and the galaxy98VHP.
If watts are all you are after, buy a good ssb radio like an old school uniden grant xl or uniden pc122 or president jackson and use a small amp. This will give the best of both worlds as power isn't always needed. But if it's a space issue, look into the RCI2970, you won't tell the difference on the other end between 200-400 watts. You would need to at least go from 200 to 600-1000 watts before anyone is going to notice an increase in power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.