• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOW PASS FILTER

Do low pass filters by design lower your transmitted signal.
If so would a loss of an s-unit be common?

In theory, a properly designed low pass filter is not going to have much insertion loss. Some, not much. I won't attempt to quantify. Now, I your system is spewing a lot of shyte and Spurs and such, you'll notice a decrease on the bird in the equal amount of crud that the filter knocked down.

Reactions: midnight special
heck, just get a tube from some Xmas wrapping paper, run the coax thru it, and stuff both ends with steel wool;)

You will see less wattage on a watt meter yes due to the filter doing what it is supposed to do, eliminate spurious emissions.

The simple watt meter has diodes that rectify the RF ( think AC alternating current) to a DC voltage and this is what makes your watt meter display the reading it displays. Sort of condensed version but that is the basics.

The diodes do not care what frequency you are transmitting within their range of function thus the frequency of the RF your signal is transmitting on and ANY AND ALL emissions will be rectified and displayed on the watt meter.

By installing a filter you will for lack of a better term FILTER out some of the spurious emissions thus the diodes in the watt meter will have less signal to rectify and the watt meter will display less output.

You are not really losing any transmitted power except as previously mentioned a little due to insertion loss.

What you are gaining is maybe some less tvi and rfi potential.

Then again if your rig is aligned correctly and not over modulated and is on frequency you will notice very little loss at all.

I have seen two of the Drake 1KW filters faulty in the 34 years I have been associated with communications repair so it is perhaps a faulty filter you have.

Reactions: midnight special
You will not notice any reduction of on-channel power. Insertion loss of any quality filter is a fraction of a dB. It has to be otherwise the filter will absorb too much power and heat up. A full S-unit is 6 dB which means the filter would be consuming three quarters of your power ie. 100 watts in and only 25 watts out with a very hot filter. A couple hundred watts would cause it to burn up at that rate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.