• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOW PASS FILTER

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Can anyone recommend a
1 kw (minimum) low pass filter? I would rather not buy a used one. There are several Nye Viking, Drake, EF johnson's available on eBay (cheap all untested,) but I'm of the belief one gets what that pay for. Unless a member in good standings has one they'd like to sell or swap (I've plenty of smalls (mics ect ect.) As long as the member (in good standings) guarantees me it works as it should (and hasn't been abused.) Maybe a member has a brand new one that he doesn't use, and would like to part with it. DONT WANT AN MFJ! In all honesty I'd rather purchase a new one. So if anyone can recommend one that they have used or are currently using, and are happy with its performance please let me know the brand and where I can purchase it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Amazon product ASIN B00FXBK218
RF Limited DF3000 Low Pass Filter (30MHz 3,000 Watt)
Price: $39.99 & FREE Shipping.Details

Found this also.....NO IDEA quality or performance
I always like the BENCHER brand(no longer in production) and the EF Johnson or RL DRAKE (neither no longer in production)...so at cost wise big toss-up...if you don't want MFJ...options are few NIB production

With digital HD TV and many stations moved away from 54 Mhz, are these really needed? The channel 2 TV station where I live is on 548 Mhz.

Maybe that's why the good ones aren't be made anymore.

With digital HD TV and many stations moved away from 54 Mhz, are these really needed? The channel 2 TV station where I live is on 548 Mhz.
Maybe that's why the good ones aren't be made anymore.
That's what I was thinking too, but today I was testing a Texas Star 400 trying to get the input tuning right. Before I got it dialed in, I would knock out the audio to the TV in the next room. The picture was fine. We have a TV antenna with the digital channels but I don't know if I caused interference with the TV signal from the antenna or if it disrupted the TV itself.

I have a Barker & Williamson FL10/1500 and it is GREAT. Cut-off is sharp and about 32-33 MHz. No problems running it on 10m and it has around 72 dB attenuation above cutoff. I forgot and left it inline one day and could not understand why I could not hear the local 6m repeater. My FT-857 uses the same antenna port for 6m as it does for HF and of course the filter is bidirectional.

I have a barkers and williams and never used it how would i test it? Opened the case to see what was in it? Not much except a few coils

I have a barkers and williams and never used it how would i test it? Opened the case to see what was in it? Not much except a few coils

There are also capacitors but they look like little round discs stuck to the case. To test a filter you need a signal generator to put a signal thru it and preferably an oscilloscope to look at the output to see how far down the signal is. You could use a receiver but that is not the best idea.

Whatever you do don't test it for the first time by putting it in line! That's why I can't buy a used one. Unless it comes from a trusted member of this site who assures me 100% that it works. I'm considering this Kenwood. The seller has several of the Kenwood's , and other brands. The sellar test them as per Captain kilowatt suggestions. Screenshot_20180925-092109_eBay.jpg

I use a Pi-L network followed by a Nye Viking LPF .
pdf of the Pi-L is attached.
CK ;) I've done the same thing with the same radio but two different ways.
The Nye Viking stopped the 857 dead in it's tracks at about 32MHz so I put it on the "other" output of the MN2700...
The Drake has no idea what 6m is so that worked out real well..
I have to remember to put it in pass through .
I usually use the 857 with a SG-230.
That's the one thing I gnaw on when it comes to the 857, there is a hf+6 connector and a vhf/uhf. A triplexer actually exists for 6/3/70cm but really ?? I have my doubts about "most" diplexers. I make due with dual band antennas on the 2m/70cm connectors and just manually switch between HF and 6. That's my gripe. I'm old, tired , forgetful and , well, a big dummy once in a while. I've forgotten to switch hf to 6 twice now and nearly tore the cabling up looking for the fault.

look at it this way. It's far easier to extend a Log Periodic Dipole Array from 70cm to 2m through 6m than it is to hang a separate 6m on any HF beam .

Oh yeah , if you didn't get it before I started in on the FT-857 pissing me off , I use a Nye Viking from WWII that may indeed exceed it's 7.5 KW rating. The low pass nature of the MN2700B helps even further.

Attachments

• MN2700.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 19

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.