• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lower SWR With Power

Jun 6, 2019
I'm getting a 1.8 to 2.0 SWR on 11 Meters using a little 100 Watt amp, when the amp is OFF, and when I turn the amp ON, the SWR drops to 1.4. That's kind of crazy, no?

Yep it is crazy to check swr with amp. Tune your antenna with your radio power with nothing else in the circuit. except SWR meter.
Yes I know but my new McKinley has an SWR meter built in, so I was checking the radio's reading. Not an external meter. Cheers.

That is not an accurate SWR Meter .........
It is just an indicator to let your know if you may have a major issue.
I must take your word for it. I've heard for years that built in SWR meters are worthless. This is my first radio with one. When I've had an external meter in line, the reading was the same as the radio's. So, the question begs.... If internal meters are not accurate, why do the manufactures bother? Wouldn't they be liable if their internal was reading 1.2, and the final burned up because the actual SWR was 3.5? Just asking questions, for I am certainly no expert.

I must take your word for it. I've heard for years that built in SWR meters are worthless. This is my first radio with one. When I've had an external meter in line, the reading was the same as the radio's. So, the question begs.... If internal meters are not accurate, why do the manufactures bother? Wouldn't they be liable if their internal was reading 1.2, and the final burned up because the actual SWR was 3.5? Just asking questions, for I am certainly no expert.
They aren't that far off as they come from the factory. If some body was tweaking pots on the inside it could be useless.

If you turn the amp on and the SWR goes down on the radio then that means that the radio is only looking at the tuning circuit for the input of the amp. This makes sure the radio is safe but the SWR between the amp and antenna is important too. An external meter after the amp will help you keep the amp safe and I keep one inline at all times.
Chris

If you turn the amp on and the SWR goes down on the radio then that means that the radio is only looking at the tuning circuit for the input of the amp. This makes sure the radio is safe but the SWR between the amp and antenna is important too. An external meter after the amp will help you keep the amp safe and I keep one inline at all times.
Chris
Thanks, Chris. I got what you said! Thanks! Will take that advice.

Alright, you rattled my brain a bit. So, are you saying that an SWR meter is is only being sure of a "safe pathway", or measuring the "length" of the circuit inside the amp, and power has nothing to do with an SWR reading?

Alright, you rattled my brain a bit. So, are you saying that an SWR meter is is only being sure of a "safe pathway", or measuring the "length" of the circuit inside the amp, and power has nothing to do with an SWR reading?

In this case, If the amp is inline and turned on, the SWR meter on the radio is reflecting (hah - punny) the impedance it is seeing from the amp and not the antenna.

Reactions: Chicago Savage
They aren't that far off as they come from the factory. If some body was tweaking pots on the inside it could be useless.

I have seen them straight out of the box that they antenna warning light was on connected to a Dummy Load or an antenna with great SWR.The meter in the radio was off the scale on the Dummy Load & the antenna so I will never trust any meter in a radio not even my $300 Amateur Radio.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Tallman
I'm getting a 1.8 to 2.0 SWR on 11 Meters using a little 100 Watt amp, when the amp is OFF, and when I turn the amp ON, the SWR drops to 1.4. That's kind of crazy, no?

Where are you reading the SWR from? The radio or an external SWR meter? If the later, where is it in your TX chain?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated