• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LSB 16 Revival Effort - July 4th

Rick330man

WDX 404
Mar 16, 2013
Florida Keys
July 4th is Independence Day here in the U.S. Many of us will have the day off. How about we give the LSB 16 revival effort another shot then? My recommendation is that folks work around the following hailing schedule:

9:00A.M. eastern/8:00A.M. central/6:00A.M. pacific;
12:00 noon eastern/11:00A.M. central/9:00A.M. pacific;
3:00P.M. eastern/2:00P.M. central/12:00 noon pacific;
6:00P.M. eastern/5:00P.M. central/3:00P.M. pacific; and
9:00P.M. eastern/8:00P.M. central/6:00P.M. pacific.

The skip has been decent these last three days. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll hold.

I made 11 contacts yesterday with a totally barefoot set up: an old Uniden PC 122 to a Radio Shack Archer Crossbow 1/2 wave base antenna, which is just a Shakespeare Big Stick dyed in sky blue so it could be sold as a Radio Shack product. If Mother Nature cooperates on the 4th there will be a few more contacts added to my DX log...and yours too!

I have a Uniden Pro 810e I think I will use that day. I have been putting up a lot of Ameture band antennas around my property so I don't have a 11 meter antenna right now. I think I will install a quarter wave fiberglass Shakespeare whip on my truck and use that as my antenna that day. Big A Boise 521 will be calling out for you. If I sound weak I am most likely just using stock output. Right about 10 watts PEP on that radio.

EB300 from Western NY will be listening. This effort totally coincides with my sweet spot for old radio restoration. Since I didn’t use any additional power back in my 16LSB days, I’ll be barefoot with my recent Rat Shack TRC- 451 re-cap job

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
At 9:00A.M. eastern, it was about as dead as I have ever heard it down here. I mean I heard absolutely no other stations at all...none. That is rare. There's usually somebody rolling in on the DX from somewhere. Over the last 2 hours, it hasn't changed.

But the day is still young! Let's keep trying.

Sunbulls:
I had one of those TRC 451s. When I was a teenager, my dad had 38' motorsailer. In the days before cell phones, I convinced him to let me mount the TRC 451 permanently in there as a way for us to be able to talk from the house to the boat. It was an excellent sounding radio even totally stock and untouched.

At 9:00A.M. eastern, it was about as dead as I have ever heard it down here. I mean I heard absolutely no other stations at all...none. That is rare. There's usually somebody rolling in on the DX from somewhere. Over the last 2 hours, it hasn't changed.

But the day is still young! Let's keep trying.

Sunbulls:
I had one of those TRC 451s. When I was a teenager, my dad had 38' motorsailer. In the days before cell phones, I convinced him to let me mount the TRC 451 permanently in there as a way for us to be able to talk from the house to the boat. It was an excellent sounding radio even totally stock and untouched.

Tried about 0745 Pacific(I know not on schedule) on my way work. Super dead out here. Happy 4th.

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?