• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

M103c swr across 11 meters

Me thinks you misunderstand my question..., are the other elements motorized and adjustable like the driven element.

I have no interest in this antenna other than this question.

I was talkin 'bout thr MR hihi.

yes,.... all elements on the 3 ele stepIR have motors and do tune

look at the "theory of operation" here: 3 Element Yagi | Steppir, Inc – Antennas for Amateur Radio and Industry

add,........... I didn't say that correctly, all elements do tune, but their PHYSICAL lenght doesn't change, they are "tuned" by moving a "tape" inside the element to change the electrical lenght

Last edited:
well,............. if you REALLY want a flat VSWR, then get a step-IR antenna.:)

kind of a waste on freeband, but, it WILL be "flat" anywhere you will operate.

why don't you get some style of H/V antenna ,.. like a moonraker 4, and tune the vert elements for one freq, and the horiz elements for the other freq(y)

That's a good idea.

well,............. if you REALLY want a flat VSWR, then get a step-IR antenna.:)

kind of a waste on freeband, but, it WILL be "flat" anywhere you will operate.

why don't you get some style of H/V antenna ,.. like a moonraker 4, and tune the vert elements for one freq, and the horiz elements for the other freq(y)

Think he said the other guys all operate vertically. The cross polarization loss would be difficult to overcome at those distances. If I had the space, I'd put up two beams without rotors and keep them pointed in a dedicated direction.

I've had several beams years ago. Some had rotors, most didn't. I'd reach out the window and twist the mast, or walk out and climb to change direction.

Some dudes sit in their shack and spin and spin and spin.

Two element quad, spacing between the driven element and reflector at 7'.

You will get about 2 mhz of bandwidth and around 5.5DBD gain.

Cross polarization will have some effect but not to much due to the large capture area, I.E. full wave length loop.

The closed loop design of the quad is less noisy compared to the half wave elements of a typical yagi.

I have it together, and I made it vertical. On the ground, reflector only about 2 ft off the ground, it has 1.7 or less across all of 11 meters. I will hang it this weekend and see what I get. Even on the ground, it could hear almost as well as the imax up 30ft. Man o man what rejection!

I have it together, and I made it vertical. On the ground, reflector only about 2 ft off the ground, it has 1.7 or less across all of 11 meters. I will hang it this weekend and see what I get. Even on the ground, it could hear almost as well as the imax up 30ft. Man o man what rejection!

Cool ! Now I want one lol:D

The only thing I can relate to with rejection is a moxon. Well worth the build!
I will update my swr readings when its hung.

Western Ky, just out side Madisonville, to the south. I live out between to little towns called Dawons Springs, and Earlington. Which side you live on?

I can hit Louisville on a good night. But you'd be a heck of a trip! Get some beams, horizontal, we could give it a shot!
I've not got mine in the air yet. Freaking turned cold again! I hope to tomorrow.

So, got them hung, 30ft or so up. Tried horizontal, but couldn't talk to a friend in his car, 10 miles up the road. (Skip was awesome though!) Changed them to vertical, had him +9 over 20 miles away!
Now for what we've all been waiting for! Vertically with gamma match to the bottom, 2.5 swr up high (27.845), 2 down to 26.515. Absolutely flat on the CB band. Took them down, put the gamma above the boom, 1.5 at 27.995, drops as you go down. Almost flat at 26.000. Cb band is about 1.2. Awesome rejection!

Just fyi, if you have a true cb'er close to you, go horizontal! I have one, tunes up his 2kw amp..... every twenty minutes! I could cut him down to 1 by turning the back corner to him. Eliminating his bleeding me. I can't do near as good vertically, but I can knock him down enough to hear my friends to the north with no issues.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.