• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MACO 5/8 ANTENNAS

M

MACK43

Is there any physical difference between the V 5/8 and the 5000 other than the 5000 has more capability of handling more power?

I won't ever put that much power on one so my only real concern is how they handle a wind load, yes we get windy conditions in Colorado.

Thanks for any help.

Mack I have never looked at that, but I would bet that the only difference might be the tuning wire size and maybe the SO-239 on one end and the tap connector on the other.

Good question.

That's kinda what I was thinking but still not sure so I shot Maco an email to make sure also but I think I'm going for the 5000.

hello ,the only differance i noticed ,is the gage wire of the tunning wire.i owend the v58 it came with small wire ,check maco site you will see . so i made the change my self.worked great, very good antenna. hard to beat for the price. :D

If your not going to ever push alot of power, just
get the Maco V 5/8. As far as wind, try it and see
how it does in those conditions. Both antennas are
built basically the same. Except for a few differences
mentioned in other posts.
God-forbid if it should fail in the future, step up to
a stronger made 5/8 wave such as a I-10k or such.

I am very happy with my Maco 5/8. I got the cheaper of the two and its been up over a year and we got and get high winds here in the open field. :D :D :D

Works awesome and hears real well, I hear stations other locals can't and their antennas are much higher than mine(only 7ft to feed point).

Can only guess how much better when I get it at 36 ft.

You wont be disapointed in it.

AP

There is a HUGE difference between the Maco V58 and the 5000.

The V5000 has a larger diameter base insulator. This insulator is supposed to help eliminate any arching that may happen. Unfortunately, they use a small screw to hold the main radiator to the insulator and this screw is close enough to the base tubing to still allow arching. You can remove this screw, but the only thing left holding the main element up is silicone! As stated above, they also run a thicker wire to the ring. The rest of the components are the same.

If you must go cheap, get the V58. You will gain nothing with the V5000.

If you are running big power with a big radio, why not buy a big antenna with big coax? The BEST money you will EVER spend on an radio system is on the ANTENNA and the FEEDLINE!!!!

People are so quick to spend big bucks on an amplifier, but go cheap cheap cheap when it comes to an antenna. It's foolish! I also HIGHLY recommend LMR-400 (or equal) coax!!!!

If your plan is to run 1500 watts or LESS, the V58 will work just fine. If on the other hand you plan to exceed this rating, I HIGHLY recommend the Interceptor 10K!!! Again, you will gain NOTHING by running the V5000 over the V58.

For those running stock power, you too will gain a NOTICEABLE increase in performance by running the I-10K!

Just in case I wasn't clear:
The BEST money you will EVER spend on a radio system is on the ANTENNA and the FEEDLINE!

Maco 5/8

I live in NM and we get very strong wind gusts here. My Maco 5/8 has held up very well for four years. I have run 1000 watts all day long and never had a problem. I have even run my 16 pill into it just to see what happened. It rocked and nothing bad happened. Of course i don't do that all the time.

Get the Maco V 5/8, I got one and it`s great. I hear better than other locals with there imax2000s and it has held up perfectly here in PA and where I live we get high wind gusts and storms and in winter ice. Not one problem.

I think there is not that much difference in the performance if any from what I hear between the maco 5/8 and the I-10K to justify the big bucks unless you live in very very harsh eviroments and need the extra strength. You can buy 3 and a half macos for the price of one I-10K.

Just my .02,
AP

airplane1 said:
I think there is not that much difference in the performance if any from what I hear between the maco 5/8 and the I-10K.....
Have you owned an I-10K? Having owned, built and installed a number of I-10Ks for me and some of the locals, and having personal experience with the Maco, I can tell you there is a performance difference between the two. As you stated, mechanically, there is no competition. Is the extra $$$ worth it? ABSOLUTELY, but only if you want the best! :D

The BEST money you will EVER spend on a radio system is on the ANTENNA and FEEDLINE!

Roger, there is a difference in the performance.
And in the quality of the Alumunum radials
and the overall quality of other parts used.
My old Maco V 5/8 is bent and twisted from our very
severe winters we had years ago. This was my main
concern and reason for not using it today.
Glad yours is holding up and I hope it never fails you.
But, i'm not taking any more chances....LOL..

All I`m saying is there is not enough difference to me to warrent that much bucks for it, I know some people can afford to spend that but I cant.A lot of techs on these forums say there is not that much difference and I tend to believe them cause they are more knolagable than I. If mine holds up for 5 years and I got to replace it then fine, it will be cheap to replace. I know antennas work differently for every one area cause I did my own test on a Imax 2000 in the same exact location as my maco with sorry resaults and some people think they are the best 5/8 you can buy.

I am glad your I-10Ks are working great for you all but I am happy with my maco :D . and like I said, if you need the extra stregth( I agree there very strong) go for it but the performance difference is so small that it`s not worth that much more if you are just buying it for performace.

But we all dont have to agree on every thing do we :)

airplane1, you are exactally right on every count. You get an A today, just work on that spelling and you will get an A+ next time.

We all do not have to agree, what fun is there in that?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.