• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 5/8 high SWR when it rains

Aug 16, 2011
Alaska
When its dry my SWR is about 1.3, but when it rains it slowly creeps up until its above 3. The coax (RG-8U) appears to be good with no rips or cuts. As soon as it stops raining I'm back down to 1.3 . Is it possible to be shorting across the top side of the SO 239 when it rains hard enough? Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

A little change in SWR with rain is normal. But that much change definitely isn't. No idea exactly what/where your problem is, but it would be a good idea to check things fairly closely.
- 'Doc

Well you can always take the exposed copper wire on the tuning ring and cover it with shrink tubing also 1.3 is not to bad my swr are flat around the band at 240 inches i use the workman 5/8 wave which is the same as the maco but i belive from seeing both antennas and assembling both the workman is a little bit sturdier for 30.00 dollars less

Had the same problem with the so-239 on a wolf .64 gp even worse in an ice storm so I wound up gooping the 239 where the feed from the gamma or in your case the tapping point from the ring met and that fixed the problem.

In discussions it was thought that rain water did not carry enough impurities to cause a short across the center and outer portion of the 239 but for what ever reason sealing it with a generous portion of 100% siliconized rubber fixed the issue.

Thanks for the sugestions. I'll have to bring it back down & try to silly cone it. I think I am at the 240" mark but I think that 1:3 was as low I could get it.

you could also change to a better quality so-239 to replace the stock one , or use a mobile stud . sealing the current one should do the trick , just mentioning other options .......
i used the center conductor from 8X coax on my maco 5/8 type home-brew . just stripped off the cover and braid and left the white dielectric on to protect it from weathering .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated