• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco 5/9 vs IMAX 2000 "POLL"

Porkchop454

May 7, 2008
which one do you suggest i can not decide thanks for all your input.
MACO 5000 5/8 WAVE OR
SOLARCON I MAX 2000 .64 WAVE
both state they hold 5000 watts . thanks for all your input in advance

MACO/Workman 5/8th's

I would use these over the fiberglass base antenna anyday...The big plus is FULL size radials and general construction. Though I made many hardware modifications to the MACO to make it better. I will be taking the 5/8th's down soon and replacing it with a 1/2 wave RINGO once I have the new 52ft tower on-site and the 4 element beam at the 55ft level. I had one up years ago at 60ft at the base with an old MOSLEY under that what a combo!! I could work 100 miles ground wave and the world when the band was good.
All the Best
BJ

Don't have experience with the Maco
But have the Imax 2000 up with factory made radials at 40 feet above ground, and added some wire radials for 12 and 15 meters, allowing me to work vertically polarised from 19 to 30 mHz.

For the H.F i normally run an Fritzel FD-4 OCF antenna, with added coil and 30 feet of wire so that it will be resonant on 160 meters too.

This set up will allow me to run the 1 kW into the atenna of choice on the high bands, or the FD-4 from 160 up.

In the 9 years the Imax is up, never had an problem with it, near the coast of Holland where we have lots of force 8 to 11 storms.

Worked the world with it on 10 in the last solar cycle, just 10 to 100 watts was enough then.

Since then i bought and restored to new an SB-1000 from Heathkit, wich will work from 160 through to 10 meters after an modification, wich is allowed here as Ham.

Running 1 kW into the Imax regularly, it doesn't budge.

Cor

Had the 2000 up...sold
it.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Put Maco up...lots better than the 2000.(y)

Put up the I 10K...just a tad bit better than the Maco, but 2 times better than the 2000.(y)(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.