• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco beam ?..

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
Any of you guys ever tried to get one of these beams to work on other bands besides the 10-11 meters, by fooling with the measurements of the elements/boom ?..

It may be possible. Why not just sell the maco to an 11m guy and buy the antenna you want. They are a 10/11m antenna. Making it work on other freqs may be possible by changing the boom and element lengths, look at some other 3 element beam antennas for the freqs you want to use it on and you may get an idea from that. I know camaro1 just converted a gizmothy beam antenna from 11m to 6m. Nothing is impossible, it's how hard or it being worth it that counts. JMO. I'm sure some of the antenna gurus will step in and let you know.

You may be able to get 12 meters out of that maco. It is whjat it is.

Look for a used tri bander, QTH.COM has a good used HF antenna section, I used an old mosley tri bander for years, and then passed it to a new General license holder and he is using it now, built like a tank.

After I posted this, I went to Maco's website and noticed one of the guys there is a ham operator, may try and talk to him and see what he is using..

Just looking around to see what all is out there that can be used on other bands....just getting started in this I no I have alot to learn, and theres no hams here who still fools with there rigs, not that I have found anyways..

The room I have, I don't have alot of options, have power lines running through the back yard, as well as on the hill and part way in the front yard, to be honest I don't see been able to use a dipole, because to get any height I'd need to go over the power lines, and if I run under them, I have a long span just to get away from them don't think I can get enough height for it to perform.....this is something I'll have to work on as I learn this stuff I guess...these power lines have been a headache ever since my antenna has been here at the shack..

.just getting started in this I no I have a lot to learn, and theres no hams here who still fools with there rigs, not that I have found anyways..

There are a lot of hams and CB'ers here who still "fools with there rigs". Many of us have been doing it for a long time and started with limited cash and had to modify, piece together solutions and experiment when there was no internet forum to spoon feed us the solutions.. You would get better results to your questions if they weren't so ambiguous. LIke asking if the antenna could be made to work on a specific band outside of 10/11m. I'm sure you could get it to work on 6m with modifications and you could use the aluminum to build a 2 meter yagi as well with some modifications.

Give us a hint what you want to do with the Maco and someone may have the answer.

If you live near power lines there may not be a perfect solution but you can start by putting up your dipoles and trying them out. See how they perform and then try a different configuration or location.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL and binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.